Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #85

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only weapon I have ever had to use was my Mind.. and that was a long, long, time ago. Worked too. much to the discomfort of my attackers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
If you use wasp spray and get intruders eyes flooded, can he sue the user for damages? I wonder what the courts will do. I don't have a CC permit to carry wasp spray at my side.
Make the perp comfortable while the DW holds a gun on the perp, break out that new roll of Gorilla tape that you have wanted to try and truss up the perp. Disconnect your motorhome and leave the RV park, drive about a mile or so, stop, give the perp one more shot of Wasp Spray in the eyes, Open the door and boot him out after wishing him well. To prevent any leagle action, don't forget to tell the perp to seek immediate medical help.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I am amused by the responses here. Actually, if you look strictly at statistics, you are more then 6 times as likely to die from the improper use of your own hand gun by yourself or by someone living in your house then at the hand of someone else. I'm not implying you don't know how to use a loaded weapon, I'm just stating the odds.
You are 8 times more likely to die from a lightning strike then by being shot by an armed intruder in the US depending on location. Additionally, if you are storing a gun in your trailer or motorhome, that stored gun must have a trigger lock. If you carry a concealed gun in your state you must be licenced to do so and that may or may not allow you to do likewise in other states. The statistics bear out what I have always assumed is true. That improper storage of a weapon is the leading cause of death by gunshot. The second leading cause of death in children in the US is accidental shooting. The first is auto accident.

Paul R. Haller-
9 out of 10 people who look strictly at statistics have a 90% chance of becoming one.

I don't have a concealed carry liscense, A concealed gun does you no good. I like mine out in the open where I can use it if I have to.

And improper storage of a weapon does not cause death. Improper knowledge and use of a weapon is the problem. Teach your wife and kids to respect and operate a weapon.

Sure keep your gun secured with a trigger lock, locked in a safe, and unloaded. That way when someone breakes into your home or camper, or threatens your wife or children you can yell "HALT" while I open the safe take off the trigger lock and load my gun. You might as well keep a rock handy.

The leading cause of accidents with a weapon is someone thinking it is unloaded. My family knows our weapons are loaded even if they aren't.

OK maybe I am being overdramatic but It burns me when someone wants to use stupid statistics to justify taking away my guns.

If you really want a statistic look at the one where there is more crime in a city with strict gun laws compared to one without.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #88
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Excellent !!!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
OK maybe I am being overdramatic but It burns me when someone wants to use stupid statistics to justify taking away my guns.

Stupid statistics? Kind of an interesting term. Similar to "don't confuse me with facts"?

It's interesting how paranoia leads some folks to always be surrounded by loaded guns they can access in a quick draw fashion... and how often any debate on the topic results in a paranoid response about people wanting to take all guns away. Nobody on this thread has suggested any such thing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 02-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #90

Sorry about using the term Stupid RickO. Just don't think comparing lightening strikes is a valid comparison to firearm accidents. If you were to go to a site such as NRA you could find any number of statistics in favor of having firearms. Such are statistics, they often depend on who is gathering them and why.

As to the paranoia I am sorry if I insinuated that you wanted all guns taken away.

The term paranoid refers to a perception that something will happen. Gun rights being under attack is a fact not a paranoid perception. Check your local or national legislation. There are at any time a number of bills being submitted that regulate firearms or ammunition. Most are veiled as being for the public good or safety and seem harmless but they all are all a concerted effort to take away our rights under the 2nd ammendement.

As to being surrounded with easy access guns, I don't expect to need to use them any more than I expect to be in an accident, but I still purchase insurance.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I am amused by the responses here. Actually, if you look strictly at statistics, you are more then 6 times as likely to die from the improper use of your own hand gun by yourself or by someone living in your house then at the hand of someone else. I'm not implying you don't know how to use a loaded weapon, I'm just stating the odds.
You are 8 times more likely to die from a lightning strike then by being shot by an armed intruder in the US depending on location. Additionally, if you are storing a gun in your trailer or motorhome, that stored gun must have a trigger lock. If you carry a concealed gun in your state you must be licenced to do so and that may or may not allow you to do likewise in other states. The statistics bear out what I have always assumed is true. That improper storage of a weapon is the leading cause of death by gunshot. The second leading cause of death in children in the US is accidental shooting. The first is auto accident.

Paul R. Haller-
Please back up your statistics with facts please. It sound like you are quoting a phamplet from a anti-gun group.
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 02-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
if you dont like guns dont have one
meanwhile my (our) Constitution say i may own one
your opinion is very important to you
our rights are important to all of us
brianj
Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #93

On the internet, you can get "facts" to prove just about anything.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #94

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Additionally, if you are storing a gun in your trailer or motorhome, that stored gun must have a trigger lock. If you carry a concealed gun in your state you must be licenced to do so and that may or may not allow you to do likewise in other states.
*NOTE: Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit.

And in VA as well as many other states there is no trigger lock requirement.

So I wonder about the rest of your facts.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Sorry about using the term Stupid RickO. Just don't think comparing lightening strikes is a valid comparison to firearm accidents. If you were to go to a site such as NRA you could find any number of statistics in favor of having firearms. Such are statistics, they often depend on who is gathering them and why.

As to the paranoia I am sorry if I insinuated that you wanted all guns taken away.

The term paranoid refers to a perception that something will happen. Gun rights being under attack is a fact not a paranoid perception. Check your local or national legislation. There are at any time a number of bills being submitted that regulate firearms or ammunition. Most are veiled as being for the public good or safety and seem harmless but they all are all a concerted effort to take away our rights under the 2nd ammendement.

As to being surrounded with easy access guns, I don't expect to need to use them any more than I expect to be in an accident, but I still purchase insurance.

Well said..............

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #96

Chuck love to camp At Ballarat. Haven't been up lately. Plan on going in next month or so. See Rocky. He gets a kick out of seeing me walk the town with my 1860 Remington 44 black powder. And I didn't get there the 1st time until 2001. So never met any of the carechters. But always pay my respects to Seldom Seens Grave.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
is there water or electricity in the old campground in ballarat?
i found this info in wikipedia.
Ballarat, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i carry a judge ultralight and my wife carries a .357 ladysmith, i guess not legally in california though.
Supposedly Rocky is working on getting water to the town. But haven't been there in a while. No Electricity.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #98

I only know of 2 statistics that I consider true. 1.) If I only used my mind to defend myself I would be at a huge disadvantage. 2.) Unarmed people who are attacked with deadly force usually suffer serious bodily injury or die.

Closed Thread