Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT View Post
Supposedly Rocky is working on getting water to the town. But haven't been there in a while. No Electricity.
WHAT, Water in town , Water, Town ??!!! I guess it's been a long time since I was there last. I guess I should make a trip up there and see whats happened in the last 50 years.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #100

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
This is very interesting and thank you very much. Any other retired law enforcement persons that can also chime in and give advice to us regarding carrying weapons in our MH's and using them for personal safety while traveling ?? this would be very helpful information....
PLEASE....
Since this is a very important topic, I'll give my thoughts on this. I am an active LEO. Highly trained and God willing, ready to act in self defense. For the sake of brevity, let me emphasize two points.

1) Get training. You fight like you train. I don't know what courses are available in your neck of the woods but the more in depth training you can take, the better.

2) Keep that firearm close to you. It will do you no good if it is locked away somewhere when you need to react in mere seconds. If I am confronted by a perp, I can quickly assess, 'shoot, no shoot'. If it is shoot, I can draw and fire in a second or less. Of course, that is when I am carrying concealed, which I am when on the road or anywhere else that I sense the need to. When we are at our destination campground, I usually secure it.

Seek out and take the training offered. Getting proficient by target practicing is a good start. I can often score a 359-360 on a combat course that totals 360 points.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #101

The Comfort Zone

Many thanks to the LEOs and other Pros providing their experience here.

A few points... I've traveled quite a bit, and there's that Culturally-dependent 'Comfort Zone'.

Depending on the tone and vibe of the potential Perp, the Comfort Zone can be 'close' or 'far'. What's impossible to quantify, due to lack of reporting, are situations where a Firearm prevents crime w/o shots being fired. When some loose cannon creates a situation and won't let up, opening my Fanny Pack and showing the Weapon butt is one way to encourage that they back off without me pointing and risking a Felony Menacing charge. If they choose to continue invading my space, it's action time. They're high, stupid or determined. For me, that 'showdown' would have to be at 'pretty close' range.

In our CCW Class, I asked the Retired Sheriff/Trainer about the 'typical' Homeowner situation of self defense. He quickly answered that it was 3 shots discharged at ~12' away inside the Home.

I call my Titanium Frame .357 my 'Talisman'; a good luck implement. If I concealed carry, especially out hiking, I won't need it. If I don't have it, I'll need it.

When a Bear broke into our House and enjoyed the Frozen Berries in the wide-open Fridge, I was damned glad to be carrying while descending Stairs to the finished Basement that's the only way down/up. Several broken Windows gave us a 'heads up' on the intruder. I formulated a plan, and got the Wife and Pooch away and out of any firing path. We kept our Cellphones connected in a call Walkie Talkie-style. Bears are known to chow down, and leave a little territorial 'deposit' on the Floor. No such deposit was left, and the Bear was long gone. I understand this wasn't the Movies, and the Bear wouldn't just drop in one shot.

If folks are comfy w/Baseball Bats and Bear/Wasp Spray in these situations, that makes one of us.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Since this is a very important topic, I'll give my thoughts on this. I am an active LEO. Highly trained and God willing, ready to act in self defense. For the sake of brevity, let me emphasize two points.

1) Get training. You fight like you train. I don't know what courses are available in your neck of the woods but the more in depth training you can take, the better.

2) Keep that firearm close to you. It will do you no good if it is locked away somewhere when you need to react in mere seconds. If I am confronted by a perp, I can quickly assess, 'shoot, no shoot'. If it is shoot, I can draw and fire in a second or less. Of course, that is when I am carrying concealed, which I am when on the road or anywhere else that I sense the need to. When we are at our destination campground, I usually secure it.

Seek out and take the training offered. Getting proficient by target practicing is a good start. I can often score a 359-360 on a combat course that totals 360 points.

Hope this helps.
What you said is so true and important it bears repeating!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #103

Solo Rvers Club
When I went across country last year (solo female), I had wasp spray and big can of bear spray in the pocket of the driver side door. I also had a taser gun on me at all times. I put it on the counter by the door at night and my keys on the table next to my bed so I could push the panic button on my truck, if necessary.

Against quite a bit of advice, I bought the taser mostly because I wanted it on the trail when I walked my pup, even though I am aware of my surroundings at all times, and my first option is always avoidance. It was expensive, but I like it because when I uncover the trigger it shines a laser on my target and will shoot two darts that will go through 2 cumulative inches of clothing. I can press it every 15 seconds to keep my target immobilized until I can escape. It can also be used as a hand taser. It's registered and legal to carry in all but 8 states and some cities. It's small, so I can keep it in my right hand pocket at all times in the locked position so I never have to search for it. It only takes one quick motion to uncover the trigger. It's just as useful in cities and at home.

I also bought a personal locator. That, too, was in a pocket (thank goodness for cargo pants). personal locator beacons at REI.com

I feel I take all the precautions I can, but as others have stated the best defense is to avoid trouble when possible and not to panic if trouble is encountered. Everyone seems to be more worried about someone attacking them, but traveling in isolated places is as much of a danger, if not more, that anything that needs to be shot with anything. JMO
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #104

I'm ready if they want to attack during the night. So far, no one has attempted it. Never have even felt threatened, and I have been to some places where you might wonder.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #105
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Personal Locator Beacons are available at Amazon at better prices.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #106

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Personal Locator Beacons are available at Amazon at better prices.
I did a search just to show what a personal locator is. REI popped up first. One can probably do even better than Amazon. Worth every cent, in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #107

The Fine Print

One or two incidents re: a Taser doesn't cloud or make the case for all Taser situations any more than is the case with this-or-that Gun story. With that 'Logic 101' disclaimer in mind, there was this sobering local case where a Taser did not work as planned despite training:

The officers tried to hit Reyes with a Taser, but the Taser prongs did not stick

Weld County CO Deceased Deputy Sheriff Story

My crazy drunk Neighbor w/6 DUIs was 'talked down' after pointing a Shotgun at Sheriff's Deputies. Even after being in Handcuffs, he had to be Tased several times before being rendered 'manageable' and hauled off to Jail. He was out after 3 months, only to get another DUI <1 year later while on Probation for this lil Shotgun incident. No Jail time on that DUI due to an Arrest technicality.

As with any Weapon, results sometimes don't pan out as we see on Video.

Cellphones have a '911' locator function which I keep enabled all the time. Although it's after the fact information, it does let folks locate you in emergencies w/o a call in progress, or help determine your last location IF there's Cell service present. Especially for us solo Campers, it helps in any search for you should Mr. Murphy and his Law interrupt your plans.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #108

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Guy View Post

The officers tried to hit Reyes with a Taser, but the Taser prongs did not stick

My crazy drunk Neighbor <snip>

EG, I realized when I purchased the taser that it could fail me, but felt it was better than nothing in a pinch.

Cellphones have a '911' locator function which I keep enabled all the time. Although it's after the fact information, it does let folks locate you in emergencies w/o a call in progress, or help determine your last location IF there's Cell service present. Especially for us solo Campers, it helps in any search for you should Mr. Murphy and his Law interrupt your plans.
I knew I would be out of cell range for a good bit of my travels, so I wanted the extra protection of the personal locator. If any of my kids go out into the wilderness, etc., I make them carry it, and I plan to buy each one of them one of their own on their birthdays. I had read that if the people who died on Mt. Hood last year had had one, they might have lived. I also saw a program on TV the other night where a young family took a wrong turn near Grants Pass OR, and wound up in blizzard conditions. The wife and two little children survived, miraculously, but the Dad had attempted to go for help after 9 days, and he died. The 911 information came too late to save them. Very sad.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #109

Forest River Owners Club
My wife and I both have Florida carry permits and hopefully will never need them. However, Like American express, I never leave home without it. Florida permits are now good in 35 States. One of the best things anyone can do for free, is to go to www.crimsontrace.com and get a free DVD on self defense. P.S. You do not need to be a Florida resident to get a Florida CC permit.
WARNING, It is not your Grandfathers World anymore.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #110

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
The DW is keen to get a firearm when we go fulltime in a couple of years, but I was wondering about the airguns that are available now. They look like a full weapon, need no permits and would still sting like hell if you had to use one. Anyone had any experience of these? In New Zealand, we have strict gun laws and every holder must be licensed. I don't want a gun myself, but an air pistol might be good to brandish at an intruder?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
The DW is keen to get a firearm when we go fulltime in a couple of years, but I was wondering about the airguns that are available now. They look like a full weapon, need no permits and would still sting like hell if you had to use one. Anyone had any experience of these? In New Zealand, we have strict gun laws and every holder must be licensed. I don't want a gun myself, but an air pistol might be good to brandish at an intruder?
Is your objective to make him mad, or to remove him as a threat to your life?

Don
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #112

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Is your objective to make him mad, or to remove him as a threat to your life?

Don
That's why I chose the taser. I realize that things could go wrong, but I have a chance of disabling (possibly killing) the "threat" whatever it is.