Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #113

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Is your objective to make him mad, or to remove him as a threat to your life?

Don
My objective is to scare him away without harming either of us. If he sees me with a weapon, hopefully he will back off, without trying to see if it is going to hurt him or kill him.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #114

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
My objective is to scare him away without harming either of us. If he sees me with a weapon, hopefully he will back off, without trying to see if it is going to hurt him or kill him.
I'm assuming you're talking about a two-legged attacker. In that case, I would want to drop him, either with my taser or with a gun with no consideration as to whether I hurt him. I feel like I have a better chance of hitting him with the taser. If you "sting" him, he's not going to be too happy with you nor is he going to be afraid, and he's going to keep coming at you.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
with that mindset, you might as well have a water pistol...
you are probably better off with no weapon. i was taught that you do not present a weapon if you do not intend to use it in the next 1-2 seconds.
please check this sit out before buying any weapon. you can sign up for a free series of articles that explain weapon use very well.

Gun training | Firearms Training

most of the first day of the 2 day front sight handgun class that i took last summer was spent discussing if, when, and how to use a weapon on an attacker and the consequences of doing so in the usa. the consequences would obviously be different in new zealand.
at least 1 person out of 37 in my class decided not to purchase or use a handgun after taking this course.

do you live on the north or south island?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #116
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought for the past several years that realistic toy guns and BB guns were supposed to have brightly colored muzzle ends to prevent children or young adults from getting shot by the police over a mistaken case of identity of such realistic looking toys?
See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Sig 9mm. small, handy, fits well in a pocket if necessary.

Springfield XD40 Tactical with lazermax sight.
I love the little red dot, it has an amazing AwwSh$t factor.

Numerous Shotguns in 410, 28, and 12 ga. Unwieldy but good intimidation factor.
I you are ever in a postion to use your weapon, remember - you only had the laser aim on because you had put it on to try it out, and forgot/didn't have time to take it off.

That statement can save you a larger hassle in civil and criminal legal issues ex post facto.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
If you "sting" him, he's not going to be too happy with you nor is he going to be afraid, and he's going to keep coming at you.
Unless he's really high on Meth and Oxycotin, in which case he might not feel it. PCP users are also really scary.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
On the internet, you can get "facts" to prove just about anything.
That's true, WW2 was started from untrue blogs on the Internet...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #120

Quote:
Unfortunately, you describe a perfect world where the rapist/murderer/maimer/kidnapper/druggie/stoner is in perfect control of his/her reasoning abilities. If they were, do you think they would be breaking in to your RV?

Don't get me wrong. I would much prefer that they turn around and leave the same way they came in. And if they do, I will not harm them. However, the presentation of a deadlier weapon would be my preference just in case they keep coming toward me.

Don
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #121

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinhead View Post
Unless he's really high on Meth and Oxycotin, in which case he might not feel it. PCP users are also really scary.
I was aware of the pitfalls when I bought the taser. It's not a perfect solution, but neither is a rifle or a shot gun, especially if you're camping in close proximity to other campers, and as far as a hand gun, I don't know if I'd have a chance of hitting my target plus there are so many differences in legality in each state.

To be honest, I really don't worry too much about two-legged creatures, but I had a terrible experience with my first lab (who has since passed away) when a huge pit bull came running toward us in a full on attack. Fortunately, it started at a distance and I was right outside the door of the motorhome and had just enough time to get her and me in the coach. I had just come back from walking on the trail, so I was very lucky that I was where I was. The ranger said that it wasn't an uncommon thing for people to drop dogs off in a state park.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #122

1. Top ten causes of children deaths ages 1-18 EXCLUDING malignant diseases

Motor vehicle
Drowning
Poisoning
Fires
Suffocation
None POV motor transportation
Pedestrian
Fall
Firearm

Children deaths by firearms are no more or less tragic than others. They are ALL EQUALLY tragic.

2. 500,000+ violent crimes are prevented by legally licensed firearm owner
annually.

3. Statistics were derived from (27) governmental/non governmental sources. You're all bright people. Do the research.

4. This is not Leave It To Beaver anymore. Come to Arizona. Pinal County is believed to have at least 100+ observation posts used by drug/human trafficers to watch out for police/ICE/Border Patrol and average citizen who accidentally stumbled in to their area. This from Sheriff Babeau of Pinal County. This is not out in the mountains. This is 15-40 minutes from Tucson, Arizona. He has had to issue AR-15s and shotguns to protect his deputies

5. I am presently in a military campground in Sierra Vista 30 miles from the Mexican border. Illegal aliens have been to the CG looking for food/water. A major illegal route comes right by the fort's boundary in the Huachuca Mts.

6. After going through CCW training by a (3) time national pistol champion, retired sargeant major and presently a sherrifs deputy, I am shocked at the majority of LEOs/retired military at the range whose gun safety practices/stances/techniques leave much to be desired.

7. I encourage all to take a defensive firearm training course to correct your technique from the best instructors you can find. I am far from being really good, but have corrected a lot of bad habits learned after 28 years in the Navy.

8. You think you are safe at a campground. Safer, but NOT safe. Think you're safe because you live in Kansas and not AZ/TX/southern CA. MS-13 is in every city in America withpopulations of 100,000 or more peddling drugs in addition to the US drug dealers.

9. (3) states, Vermont,Alaska and Arizona allow you to carry concealed weapon WITHOUT training classes as long as you are LEGALLY allowed to purchase a handgun.

10. NO state that allows concealed carry with or without training classes requires a pistol lock while it is in a automobile or RV.

11. DO NOT get a firearm unless you are willing to get trained in it's use, willing to kill someone to defend yourself or others and am ready to deal with the psychological after effects.

12. Your source of CORRECT firearms regulations is NOT the Bradys, the New York Times or your buddy, its:

Handgunlaw.us
Carryconcealed.net
NRA
Policeone.com
Christiangunowner.com
Nssf.org

People have died to protect your rights under the 1st and 2nd amendments. Use it or lose it.

NAVYBLUE
Retired Navy, 28 years
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #123

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I am amused by the responses here. Actually, if you look strictly at statistics, you are more then 6 times as likely to die from the improper use of your own hand gun by yourself or by someone living in your house then at the hand of someone else. I'm not implying you don't know how to use a loaded weapon, I'm just stating the odds.
You are 8 times more likely to die from a lightning strike then by being shot by an armed intruder in the US depending on location. Additionally, if you are storing a gun in your trailer or motorhome, that stored gun must have a trigger lock. If you carry a concealed gun in your state you must be licenced to do so and that may or may not allow you to do likewise in other states. The statistics bear out what I have always assumed is true. That improper storage of a weapon is the leading cause of death by gunshot. The second leading cause of death in children in the US is accidental shooting. The first is auto accident.

Paul R. Haller-
A concealed weapon permit is no longer needed in Arizona unless you want to take your gun into a bar. With a permit you can have a gun in one hand and a beer in the other! Joe
Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #124

Solo Rvers Club
Someone in another group, wisely, advised me to buy and read this book when I was thinking of carrying a fire arm. "IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME•The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection" by Massad E. Ayoob
Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #125

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
do you live on the north or south island?
South Island.

In New Zealand, it is most unusual for criminals to carry guns, so providing them with one of mine is not a positive step. I am also aware of the statistics around the number of people harmed by their own weapon, either by accident or by a perpetrator using the weapon against the owner. But then, I don't always lock my home when I leave, so I guess we are a little different to most other countries.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been raised around firearms, so I am very comfortable around them. I know what to do...and not to do when I have a gun in my reach. That said, I also have firearms in my coach as an absolute last resort. I've never had to use one to protect myself as I have hand to hand training that I have actually had to use in dire circumstances.

It seems hand to hand comes more naturally to me than reaching for a pistol or shotgun. It's just the first natural reaction to a situation.

I would highly recommend that all law abiding citizens with brains be well trained in the use and care of firearms...and arm themselves accordingly though. You never know when it may make the difference between life and death.

All this said...I have never...ever heard of a gun that killed someone that was not manipulated by human interaction. Humans are the weak link...not guns.

Closed Thread