Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weaponary

I carry and keep a 410 pistol next to me in the driver seat. Have never had to draw or use the 410 but would if needed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #30

I am a handgun instructor and have carried since 1994 when it became legal in Texas. I have never had to use my firearm, show it or threaten to use it, thank goodness.

Using deadly force should always be a last resort. Always being aware of your surroundings and having a plan in your head for what to do is paramount.

It is better to have a plan and never have to use it than not having a plan and desperately needing one.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #31

I can't remember whan I last used my spare tire either - but I'm not about to leave it home when I'm traveling long distances, and in unfamiliar territory...
Old 11-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
According to Judge Napalitano, in the state of New Jersey you must do everything possible to avoid using a firearm. He stated "If a thief breaks into your home, you must flee the house".
He was asked to repeat that statement, which he did. I've always believed him, so it may (must) be true. New Jersey only folks.
Here in Las Vegas you can pick off as many as possible (home intruders) and the police will only ask "do you need replacement rounds?". Or "Good shooting".
Never pull a weapon unless you intend to use it. Bean bags are best as they normally don't damage the coach.

Kerry
So, if I have "an issue" in New Jersey, I just start the coach and head on out to Las Vegas. Issue resolved.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did have an incedent out in the desert near Ballarat, Ca. in the late 60's. A buddy and I were going dirt bike riding and were in the ghost town of Keeler when we saw a car coming in our direction. In the 60's there were very few people roaming around the desert, so it aroused our suspicions. It was also about 10:30 at night. We were dirt camping and had not put out our bedrolls yet so we decided to have my friend get behind some brush and see what was going to happen. Of course we were both armed, but not wanting to escalate any problems, I had my revolver tucked in my belt in back of me. Well low and behold an old Corvair rode up the dirt trail we were on and out popped a rifle from the drivers window. I suggested that they count the numer of bedrolls hanging on the side of my box trailer and then count the number of dirt bikes were in there and explained since they could only see me that if they started shooting they would be dead. Apparently they realized that my friend had the drop on them and that they better fall back and rethink their plan. Fortunatly for they left. We moved our camp on top of a mesa so that we could see what was happening below. They poked around for awhile and then left.
Had I been waving a gun around when they arrived, Im sure we would have had a less happy ending. Be prepared but more importantly be smart.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Well said Vic. Thanks.

Rick
Thank you Rick. My only desire was to illuminate. We all have much add. Many of the people who posted here obviously get this. It is nice to know I will meet and enjoy the company of many RV'ers out there with level heads. I think most of us understand that discretion is often the better part of valor.

Vic Maris
Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Not a good idea, but a GREAT idea !!
No, it's not a good idea. Even the most cursory check with a blacklight is going to tell them that there's a body-shaped void in the pattern of UV-reactive dye carried in the pepper spray you dumped all over your floor. How badly that ends for you will depend on how much the lead investigator has a stick up his a**.

In a MH, it's easy to make the case that you had no way to escape (generally, an intruder will have been between you and the door). No need to get stupid. People who have gotten charged for "defending themselves" generally shot someone in the doorway, or outside their house. Or tried to mess with the evidence, acting as if they were guilty.

Me, I have kids, and there's no good way to secure a firearm in my rig. Pepper spray and an "Attitude Re-adjustment Tool" will have to do.

--Dave (lead-cored "tire thumper", you apply it firmly to the head of the person with an attitude until they have one you like better)
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
I carry and keep a 410 pistol next to me in the driver seat. Have never had to draw or use the 410 but would if needed.
mike,
would that be a ''judge''?
i have and carry the judge titanium short (2.5''.410 buckshot) ultralight. i have a crimson trace laser sight on mine. it is very nice to shoot and (relatively) easy to carry. (as compared to my dw's .357 ladysmith)
i recently took the 2 day front sight course in nevada shooting 165 grain .45lc. i took another course and got the nevada concealed carry license with the judge. i also have the washington and oregon concealed carry licenses.
i hope that circumstances never arise that would make it necessary for me to shoot a human being.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...nish=Stainless
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #37

Vic is right on the money. I normally don't respond to these threads but the comment about an officer involved in a shooting "seeing a disability retirement" is an easy comment to make for somebody who doesn't perport to have been there, done that.

In my 33 years in law enforcement my experience agrees with Vic and the percentages. 33% okay, 33% need extra counselling, and 33% never recover.

The bravado that is easily voiced on a keyboard is completely different and very easy to display compared to the real thing.

As retired LEOs Vic and I can carry in all 50 states. Whether we do or not is on a need to know basis.

I know the Ballarat area well as I was the Lone Pine/Death Valley Resident Post sergeant for the CHP for 2 years. A good area for a weapon for both crawling snakes as well as upright snakes.

THE VERY BEST ADVISE was to think and get out of dangerous situations. We covered an area larger than Rhode Island with 7 officers and one sergeant with usually no more than 2 on duty at any given time and usually 100 miles apart. If we needed help a close backup from a park ranger or deputy sheriff was usually at LEAST 30 minutes and usually closer to an hour. Best weapon in that scenario was a good noggin and a very glib tongue.

Just remember that your split second decision will be picked apart for months which is awful. But, you'll live with it forever so squeeze all your good common horse sense out before you squeeze that trigger.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Vic is right on the money. I normally don't respond to these threads but the comment about an officer involved in a shooting "seeing a disability retirement" is an easy comment to make for somebody who doesn't perport to have been there, done that.

In my 33 years in law enforcement my experience agrees with Vic and the percentages. 33% okay, 33% need extra counselling, and 33% never recover.

The bravado that is easily voiced on a keyboard is completely different and very easy to display compared to the real thing.

As retired LEOs Vic and I can carry in all 50 states. Whether we do or not is on a need to know basis.

I know the Ballarat area well as I was the Lone Pine/Death Valley Resident Post sergeant for the CHP for 2 years. A good area for a weapon for both crawling snakes as well as upright snakes.

THE VERY BEST ADVISE was to think and get out of dangerous situations. We covered an area larger than Rhode Island with 7 officers and one sergeant with usually no more than 2 on duty at any given time and usually 100 miles apart. If we needed help a close backup from a park ranger or deputy sheriff was usually at LEAST 30 minutes and usually closer to an hour. Best weapon in that scenario was a good noggin and a very glib tongue.

Just remember that your split second decision will be picked apart for months which is awful. But, you'll live with it forever so squeeze all your good common horse sense out before you squeeze that trigger.
Excellent post. I can completely relate having worked in remote areas of the Mojave with a one hour backup. One definately has to develop a much different approach when making contacts. It does help one to eliminate tunnel vision and to develop ones ability to consider many alternatives. Among other things, one of my jobs was to return home safely.

Vic
Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OldChief7155
I don't mean to be glib. But when you take on a new job and your comany car has a shotgun mounted on the dash and they strap on a gun, I would hope that person would realize that all that equipment is not just for ballast. I expect that the man for the job is capable of doing that job no matter what it takes. I am afraid that as a country we have become soft. For people that have their finger on the button, I expect them to be way more than ordinary. I appreciate what law ernforcment has to go through in their evryday job. I doubt that I would have the stomach for it. Having to deal with the bottom feeders of our society would get to me. I admire the 2/3rds that are up to the job. Thanks for your service.

I wouldn't be suprised if we have met at some time in the Lone Pine area. I also knew Dick and Mary Thompson up in Panamint.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #40

Just recently purchased a S&W .380 with the laser sight. I do have a permit and would use it in self defense or to protect family. Hopefully will never have to.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,
THE BEST BLOG I'VE READ ON HAVING A WEAPON WAS NICK RUSSELL'S IN
'BAD NICK'... HE REALLY LAYS IT OUT P-L-A-I-N.... I ONCE WAS IN LAW-
ENFORCEMENT AND CARRIED A WEAPON, THE ONLY TIMED I PULLED IT(1959)
I WAS SURROUNDED BY ABOUT 60 ANGRY PEOPLE AND KNEW THERE WERE WEAPONS THERE.. I NEVER RAISED THE PIECE AND THE CROWD RETREATED
AND LET ME LEAVE... I WAS TERMINATED FOR DRAWING IT... I HAVE A WEAPON AND WILL USE IT TO SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE BUT NEVER BLUFF AGAIN!!!!! A 'TASER' WILL MAKE A MAD MOOSE MADDER!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weaponry

DanL

Yes, Taurus Judge .45 Colt/410 shootgun. Have 2 and holster the public defender on my left side on the outside wall of our coach. I carry a Sig 1911 .380 with laser. I also have a second judge by my bed at home it's a Night Court Judge. I have belonged to a range for 4 years and shoot min twice a month. Have not had to draw as of yet and hope I never have to. But as someone said I never want to use my spare tire but have one.
Closed Thread