Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
I wasn't going to post on this subject but changed my mind. Speaking of which can be your best weapon as others have said, along with training. Being a combat vet I received plenty of training before hand but NOTHING prepares you for the real thing in your first fire fight or for the aftermath of it.
I do carry and feel I know how and when to use it, but hope that never happens again.

Just an old guys opinion.

John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #72

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's not mine. I've never seen it.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
It's not mine. I've never seen it.

now thats funny!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #74

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weaponary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
mike,
would that be a ''judge''?
i have and carry the judge titanium short (2.5''.410 buckshot) ultralight. i have a crimson trace laser sight on mine. it is very nice to shoot and (relatively) easy to carry. (as compared to my dw's .357 ladysmith)
i recently took the 2 day front sight course in nevada shooting 165 grain .45lc. i took another course and got the nevada concealed carry license with the judge. i also have the washington and oregon concealed carry licenses.
i hope that circumstances never arise that would make it necessary for me to shoot a human being.

Taurus 4410 Tracker 410 Bore | 45 Colt - TA4410TKR-3SSUL - LIPSEYS.COM
Yes, Taurus mfg Judge 410/long Colt .45 revolver. Have two, one 2" & one 3" barrel. I carry either a Sig 380 or Colt .45.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #75

Sig 9mm. small, handy, fits well in a pocket if necessary.

Springfield XD40 Tactical with lazermax sight.
I love the little red dot, it has an amazing AwwSh$t factor.

Numerous Shotguns in 410, 28, and 12 ga. Unwieldy but good intimidation factor.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #76

I have a Kel Tec 380 Auto. It fits right in my hand and pocket. Has a 5 shot clip (one above the other) and is very accurate until the bullet leaves the barrel. I also have a Mossburg 500 pistol grip 12 gauge,
Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #77

I am amused by the responses here. Actually, if you look strictly at statistics, you are more then 6 times as likely to die from the improper use of your own hand gun by yourself or by someone living in your house then at the hand of someone else. I'm not implying you don't know how to use a loaded weapon, I'm just stating the odds.
You are 8 times more likely to die from a lightning strike then by being shot by an armed intruder in the US depending on location. Additionally, if you are storing a gun in your trailer or motorhome, that stored gun must have a trigger lock. If you carry a concealed gun in your state you must be licenced to do so and that may or may not allow you to do likewise in other states. The statistics bear out what I have always assumed is true. That improper storage of a weapon is the leading cause of death by gunshot. The second leading cause of death in children in the US is accidental shooting. The first is auto accident.

Paul R. Haller-
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe in being armed no matter what the law states. However even though I would have no qualms about shooting a perp I do realize that I would probably hesitate in pulling the trigger and that will get me killed. The only reason I would hesitate, #1, is it a drunken or disoriented friend ? #2 I just woke up and am still groggy.
I also carry a can of Wasp spray that I would not hesitate to use in any threating situation wether it be man nor beast.
Even though I think I'm bad a--, I'm not sure I want to spend my life savings defending my actions in court.
Like Dirty Harry said "A mans got to know his limitations"
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
Colt 45 1911 ..... Stainless with a large hole in the end with a big flash......

An old saying.. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.....

Burglar beware!!!!

Dave
2004 Monaco Signature
2011 Honda CR-V toad

Ditto what Dave has. Also have a Winchester Model 94 30-30 saddle rifle. Also have a Black powder 44 Remington its just for fun.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #80

Chuck,

I camp regularly at Ballarat. And I am armed. I am also an avid aviation archeoligist. I go to all kinds of aircraft wreck sites here in the Mojave. Have had to shoot a few snakes. Last year stumbled in to a meth lab. Got out in a hurry and had 45 in my hand all the way back to the truck. Reported it to a Deputy we saw on the way to town.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT View Post
Chuck,

I camp regularly at Ballarat. And I am armed. I am also an avid aviation archeoligist. I go to all kinds of aircraft wreck sites here in the Mojave. Have had to shoot a few snakes. Last year stumbled in to a meth lab. Got out in a hurry and had 45 in my hand all the way back to the truck. Reported it to a Deputy we saw on the way to town.
I love poking around the desert and have done it since 1960. I knew Charley (Seldom Seen Slim) of Ballarat and Dick and Mary Thompson of Panimint City and Barbera Colman up at Cerro Gordo. I even have the Bell Codes I got from the 200 ft level at Cerro Gordo. I think I have seen every old mine and diggings up in that part of the desert. I love exploring all that old stuff. I have also run across parts of wrecked WWII planes on occasion up on the mountains. I used old maps to pinpoint many of the old mining sites. The trail up to Panimint is now completely gone which is probably good so that it preserves wbats left of the smelter stack and building ruins. I'm glad you mentioned Ballarat. Sure a fun area.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT View Post
Chuck,

is there water or electricity in the old campground in ballarat?
i found this info in wikipedia.
Ballarat, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i carry a judge ultralight and my wife carries a .357 ladysmith, i guess not legally in california though.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #83

If you use wasp spray and get intruders eyes flooded, can he sue the user for damages? I wonder what the courts will do. I don't have a CC permit to carry wasp spray at my side.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #84

Paul:

I agree. Posting statistics helps to keep things in perspective. The last time I was called to jury duty it was a case in which a teenager was shot at a party when another teenage guest found a loaded gun in a nightstand. The lawsuit was filed by the shooter against the gun owner for not storing it safely. I would have been a good member of this jury as a former firearms instructor for a law enforcement agency but whenever the attorney's learn I am a retired peace officer, I am told to leave.

People really over-react to imagined threats. It is far too easy to manipulate the masses through fear. When one can see how slim the chance is that a bad thing will really happen, one can make more informed decisions. This thread has been extremely useful in getting people to think. I am also glad that some of the bad ideas expressed here have been addressed.

Rv'ers generally stay in low crime areas. Camping in a park as opposed to parking in some bad neighborhood in an inner city, the chance of getting into trouble is greatly diminished. But like the guy who stumbled on a remote Meth lab, crime can happen anywhere. Staying aware and removing yourself from potential danger is the best defense.

One thing has become apparent. Breaking into a motorhome is about the dumbest thing a gang banger can do. They will obviously be outgunned.

Vic Maris
Closed Thread