Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #15

How about the truck/rv parking you find at some McDonalds and other fast food places?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Almost every time we go to a Cracker Barrel the RV section is not usable as cars are parked in it.
I heard that. That is my pet peeve with the CB parking lots, Even if we are just 4 wheeling it to a destination and stop at CB to eat, it really ticks me off to see cars and trucks parked in the clearly marked RV and BUS parking only spaces. I would not overnight in one of those spots but if I was passing through I would like to use those parking spots for my 40 footer.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
If you can afford an rv then you can afford a campground. Walmart and such are kind enough to provide you with a place to stay in an emergency but people choose to use it like a campground. Soon that will be taken away. I have a real pet peeve when I see Prevost's camping in walmart and I have seen it a lot! Guess they spent all their money on the rig and can't afford campgrounds now. :-/
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #18

You know, you're right about the cost, but the cost isn't the reason I choose a WM, Lowes, CB, highway rest stop, or a truck stop. It's the convenience. I drive in and park....Done. Yes I go inside to ask but I'm also buying something most of the time anyway. No forms to fill out, overhanging trees and rocks to keep you off their weeds, and yes, I suppose the cost for me not hooking up, not using the pool, not doing wash, not "gathering at the clubhouse" and all those other amenities I'm charged for, don't want and don't use. I want in late, a place to sleep and out early, that's all. The rig operates very well without all those extras and so do I when traveling. At a "Destination" a very different story.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
I heard that. That is my pet peeve with the CB parking lots, Even if we are just 4 wheeling it to a destination and stop at CB to eat, it really ticks me off to see cars and trucks parked in the clearly marked RV and BUS parking only spaces. I would not overnight in one of those spots but if I was passing through I would like to use those parking spots for my 40 footer.

I've never seen a CB with RV parking spaces long enough to park a 40' MH with toad! Even if it was long enough, it would be very difficult to make the turn and get it in the parking space! JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 05-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
If you can afford an rv then you can afford a campground. Walmart and such are kind enough to provide you with a place to stay in an emergency but people choose to use it like a campground. Soon that will be taken away. I have a real pet peeve when I see Prevost's camping in walmart and I have seen it a lot! Guess they spent all their money on the rig and can't afford campgrounds now. :-/
Knightab
"Overnighting" in a parking lot, (or in a rest area), IS NOT about the COST.
It IS about the CONVENIENCE and the TIME SAVED when traveling.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've never seen a CB with RV parking spaces long enough to park a 40' MH with toad! Even if it was long enough, it would be very difficult to make the turn and get it in the parking space! JMHO
MSHappyCampers
Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Knightab
Mel
96 Safari
Yep, up until last week when my wife was terminated we were both working and time was precious so it was long hours of driving and stop where we could for a few hours of rest. No need to pay for amenities we weren't going to need nor use while in "traveling" mode. When we get to our destination then we stay in a campground. Besides, we always end up spending money in the Wal*Mart when there as well as the surrounding restaurants! My wife prefers eating out to preparing something anyway.
We even had one manager at a Wal*Mart bring coffee out for those of us in the lot!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Knightab
Mel
'96 Safari
i disagree, you;re being cheap. Takes no longer to pull out of a campground than a walmart, there are more campgrounds than walmarts.

I understand when you just need a place to stay and it is late and you don't want to search but a little planning will solve that.

You say it is not about the cost, so if walmart charged $30 a night to spend in their parking lot you would still stay?
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #24

We recently took a trip to Norfolk and had planned to leave the Dayton OH area around 1530. I wanted to get a couple three hours of the drive out of the way and had originally thought of staying at the Bob Evans Farm but found that they didn't open till 4/15, so I had picked out a campground in WV that was open. Spoke to the proprietor who told me he had plenty of room. Ended up my wife had forgotten an appointment she had so we did not leave till 1830. There was no way we were going to make the WV campground at a decent time and as this was still March there were not many Campgrounds open at all. We opted for the WalMart in Hurricane WV. It felt a little weird but I chose a spot way out of the way. I didn't know about checking with management but we did make a trip in the store to get a few things we needed for the trip. I parked too close to the truck entrance so we heard them all night, and at midnight they started to vacuum the parking lot. All in all it isn't something I would do on a regular basis but in the situation we found ourselves it worked out and Walmart kept about $50 of our money for the night.

Would I have paid them $30 for the night? That sounds a bit steep for no electric or water but a $15 to $20 overnight stay wouldn't be out of line and would have fit our needs for the night.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #25

Quote:

I agree! I just bought a 1993 32 ft 5er because that's all i can afford. Could I have gotten a newer bigger one? Absolutely but I want to be able to afford to use the thing.I plan to use camp grounds every night. I have 2 small children that can not be alloed to run around and play in a parking lot. The only way I would stay in a parking lot is if the weather turned and there was no campground near by. It is not safe to be driving in 40mph cross winds or heavy rains. Ive done it in a 18wheeler. It is not fun.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #26

Quote:
i disagree, you;re being cheap. Takes no longer to pull out of a campground than a walmart, there are more campgrounds than walmarts.
How many campgrounds have you arrived at after 10:00pm or left before 7:00am? I think you'll find you aren't well liked or appreciated.

Steve
Old 05-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
How many campgrounds have you arrived at after 10:00pm or left before 7:00am? I think you'll find you aren't well liked or appreciated.

Steve
When that has happened and it doesn't have to be 10pm, a lot close their office at 8 or earlier but we have always found they have self registration.

People who abuse the system will lose the system for everyone. I already said if it was late and you have no clue where a camp ground is then that is what the offer is there for BUT I see people pulling in our walmart at 5pm. That is no excuse. There is a camp ground 4 miles down the road that would love to have the business.

If you are using the offer from Walmart or whoever when in dyer need I have no problem. Then again what you or anyone else does is their business. Just remember when walmart/ CB/ Kmart whatever camping is banned you have no one to blame but those who abused it.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #28

Quote:
I understand when you just need a place to stay and it is late and you don't want to search but a little planning will solve that.
You say it is not about the cost, so if walmart charged $30 a night to spend in their parking lot you would still stay?
Knightab
Thankfully Walmarts don't currently charge $30 a night... so that is not a discussion I will have to make anytime soon.
BTW, because I don't care when RVers DO NOT "overnight" in parking lots, it puzzles me when another Rver cares when others DO, (and wants to know why)?
As you said, "What you or anyone else does is their business".
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles