Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Knightab
Thankfully Walmarts don't currently charge $30 a night... so that is not a discussion I will have to make anytime soon.
BTW, because I don't care when RVers do not overnight in parking lots, it puzzles me when another Rver cares that others do, (and wants to know why)?
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
Even if walmart provided electric it would probably be from china . I simply stated my opinion on the subject as others have and yourself. I never walmart so it doesn't really affect me unless one day I urgently need to stay there and won't be allowed.

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
When that has happened and it doesn't have to be 10pm, a lot close their office at 8 or earlier but we have always found they have self registration.
My issue is nothing to do with self-registration and everything to do with other folks getting ... "testy" when a rig comes in and starts maneuvering in or out.

Secondly, if I'm not planning to use the services of a campground such as power, water, dump, why should I pay them? Are they going to pay me for my technical expertise even though they have no plans to ask me any technical questions?

If people are staying in the same area for several days, I generally agree and do use campgrounds. But for overnights, even if one stops early, what entitles a campground that merely has the claim to fame of "not being far off a major highway" to take my money for providing a parking space? If that's their big value, perhaps they shouldn't be running a campground in that location -- instead of asking for charity money.

Steve

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #31
laj

Quote:
Even if walmart provided electric it would probably be from china . I simply stated my opinion on the subject as others have and yourself. I never walmart so it doesn't really affect me unless one day I urgently need to stay there and won't be allowed.

i don't care where things come from including elec. if i want it, they have it, i can use it at a price i want to pay then and only then will i buy it. if wally world wants to let people stay there then no one should have anything to say about it. its free enterprise. if i get to a town and wally is closed do to that town i won't drop a penny there at any business.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #32

Quote:
i disagree, you;re being cheap.

I'm sure I'm wrong but that sure sounds like a really judgmental ad hominem attack on someone you nothing about.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I'm sure I'm wrong but that sure sounds like a really judgmental ad hominem attack on someone you nothing about.
It was a point being made regardless who it applies too. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it much like you are yours

Walmart camping is like talking politics and religions
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #34

Quote:
i disagree, you;re being cheap. Takes no longer to pull out of a campground than a walmart, there are more campgrounds than walmarts.

I understand when you just need a place to stay and it is late and you don't want to search but a little planning will solve that.

You say it is not about the cost, so if walmart charged $30 a night to spend in their parking lot you would still stay?

We would.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
How many campgrounds have you arrived at after 10:00pm or left before 7:00am? I think you'll find you aren't well liked or appreciated.

Steve

Exactly! We often drive till 2-3 am, stop to rest for a few hours, then resume the drive.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, I'd pay for WalMart

Quote:
i disagree, you;re being cheap. Takes no longer to pull out of a campground than a walmart, there are more campgrounds than walmarts.

I understand when you just need a place to stay and it is late and you don't want to search but a little planning will solve that.

You say it is not about the cost, so if walmart charged $30 a night to spend in their parking lot you would still stay?
I think the others have it right. At WM or CB you are only looking for a quick stop. If it were 30 bucks I'd pay if it were simple to do because I don't want to hassle with a lot of CG stuff that I don't need when I'm just overnighting.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
Old 05-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #37

It appears that this is one of those topics that has gone in the wrong direction.

The question was simple: Do you; Would you, Can you?

Seems like the road-rage should be diverted to another forum.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How can you "abuse" staying at Wal*Mart if they allow and even encourage it? Follow their rules and be considerate and there's no problem.
People who take liberties with that and break the rules are the problem, not those of us that follow the "Industry-sanctioned Code of Conduct" that FMCA, Good Sam and Escapees publish (all of which we belong to) and follow the code.

Quote:
Industry-sanctioned Code of Conduct
(RVers’ Good Neighbor Policy)

1. Stay one night only!
2. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
3. Obey posted regulations.
4. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills.
5. Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
6. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
8. Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.
Wal*Marts parking policy:
Quote:
“Wal-Mart permits recreational-vehicle (RV) parking on our store lots, as we are able. The ability to accommodate RVs is determined on a store-by-store basis, contingent upon available space, local regulations and ordinances.”
BTW: Wal*Mart figures ever RV increases it income by $29 a day for each rig. And, from what we spend in the stores, that's probably about right!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #39

We've only stayed at Walmart once so far but it was a situation where it was late (about 10pm) and we couldn't find a CG close, as the one we intended on staying in was full. We asked permission, which they said was Ok, and told us where to park. Met some nice people who parked next to us and were in the same position. We left early in the morning and it was no big deal. We did shop in Walmart before leaving.

So I agree with the others it usually has nothing to do with being "cheap" as much as being "convenient". But I also have seen those that abuse it and are all set up before it even gets dark, and are BBQ'ing in the parking lot....with that situation I would agree that they may be taking advantage or being "cheap" while traveling.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #40

Remember that not all Walmarts are located in safer neighborhoods. There are some places that you really don't need to be in.

And those Walmarts often ask that campers go elsewhere for their own safety.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have never found one yet, but did stay at a Sams Club once that we didn't feel safe at and left early.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:15 AM   #42

We have been on the road for 6 weeks from Florida to Maine. On our way home to Canada.
Used PassPort America where we wanted to stay more then one night and Wal Marts, Home Depots, and Cabalas. The Home Depots we stayed at, where Wal Marts were not allowed.
I am not ashame to use them because they get my business.
I praise them to allow us to park for the overnight stay.
We drive the car also when we travel and use for day visit where the truck and trailer don't work.
So we arrive early park out of the way and enjoy.
Been doing it for 23 years.
We are now parked in a great Truck Stop Maine and had a great meal at the restaurant and gassed up $150 worth.
It's very quiet now and even have 30amp power if I want to use it. Truck idling os illegal in Maine.
We dumped and filled in wonderful Hamburg PA 2 nights ago and called it our half way stop.
We do it twice a year and I am glad not everyone does or approves of it but we never get tired and drive and stop early.

Closed Thread