Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

walmart leveling

My class C does not have automatic levelers. When over nighting at Walmart I have lots to look for in a parking space: Where mgt said it was ok to park; next to a curb to run out my step and bedroom slide; and of course as level as possible. I may not get to have all of the above. My refrigerator is top priority to me right after following mgt's instructions.

Here is the question: Should I park so the refrigerator is level side to side (which is longways to the coach) or refrigerator level front to back (side to side to my coach)?

Thanks to all.

Gene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by genecurp View Post
My class C does not have automatic levelers. When over nighting at Walmart I have lots to look for in a parking space: Where mgt said it was ok to park; next to a curb to run out my step and bedroom slide; and of course as level as possible. I may not get to have all of the above. My refrigerator is top priority to me right after following mgt's instructions.

Here is the question: Should I park so the refrigerator is level side to side (which is longways to the coach) or refrigerator level front to back (side to side to my coach)?

Thanks to all.

Gene
why don't you drive up on some leveling blocks?

http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations-map.htm

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, a very good question. I've never thought about it. Maybe someone will jump in and answer the question asked. I too would like to know.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As you stand in front of the refrig looking at it, it is more important to level side to side (within 3 degrees) than front to back (within 6 degrees.) That would make it more important for as you describe "longways to the coach.
Gas Absorption Refrigerators FAQ
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Side to side, longways, 3 degrees or less. 1/2 bubble off center is about 2degrees. Front to back can be up to 6 degrees.

Gas Absorption Refrigerators FAQ
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #6

I don't use leveling blocks at WalMart overnighting in the spirit of keeping a low profile and "not looking like I am camping".

But if I was on a leveling block I doubt it would draw much attention.

Thanks everyone. Rocky, I am going to read the FAQ.

Gene
Old 11-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #7

3 degrees is about 5/8" per ft so if your wheel spacing is 7' that would be about 4.5" or 3 2X8 boards that a lot more than 1/2 a bubble off. Find a level spot and run up on 3 boards and make note of what approximately 3 degrees looks like, it will also help to judge what is need to level the trailer. I think you will be complaining about off level front to back, about 1.25"/ft, before it is an issue for the fridge.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a round bubble level similiar to this one you can use it to stay within your 3-6 degree limit. Not all circular bubble levels are calibrated the same so it helps to know how many degrees your rings are.

http://www.leveldevelopments.com/PDF..._Indicator.pdf
Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Best thing to do if you cant level and aren't Happy move on some where else No Jacks or Blocks come on Folks keep a low profile!

P.S.Spent $$$$$$ LOL!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #10

If you can walk in your coach with out leaning and are not falling out of bed from not being level. your refrigerator will be fine. 3 degrees from front to back becomes a huge out of level situation and you will notice it.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Best thing to do if you cant level and aren't Happy move on some where else No Jacks or Blocks come on Folks keep a low profile!
There is a Walmart thread trying to reach 1000 posts that would love your etiquette input. Theres plenty of people in that thread trying to peddle there versions of Walmart etiquette. You will fit right in.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #12

When I level my TT, I always put the front (where bedroom is) 1/2 buble higher so my head won't be (or feel Like I'm) down hill. I've never had a problem with athe fridge. And yes, if the Walmart lot was that unlevel, I would use leveling blocks or move on.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #13

One other option if you are worried about the fridge is to shut it off for the night. We do this anytime we stop over for one night and turn it back on in the morning. Everything stays cold especially overnight when you are not opening and closing the fridge door.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
One other option if you are worried about the fridge is to shut it off for the night. We do this anytime we stop over for one night and turn it back on in the morning. Everything stays cold especially overnight when you are not opening and closing the fridge door.
That is a very good suggestion, and applies the KISS principle. Never occurred to me_.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote