Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Walmart Orlando

1st time we got asked to move.got in late campsite not tell next day.guard asked us to leave,called all the wallmarts in the area found one that said we can stay,got in to bed than nock on door i told her the manager said we could stay so she made us move on the far side of parking lot.next time we will call.
safe travles
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Many tourist areas have free parking restrictions.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get your walmart parking guide, check with allstays website and ALWAys call ahead and ask. Wouldn't you want someone to call you to stay in your driveway.??
Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks just was getting late thought we could find a campground but the ones we called all full.
safe travles bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

I use AllStays, well worth the small cost. But I found the supervisors in Walmart almost seem a little put out to be asked. We just abide by the common sense rules of parking at a remote location and not look like we are setting up camp. We might try phoning ahead next time.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I always call first, and park on the far edge of the parking lot, away from the store. That means the least chance I will be in anybody's way.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have stayed at many Walmarts and only told to move in Missoula, Mont. Seems to be city law. Moved by choice from Interstate Walmart north of Athens Ga. Appears to be a regular drag strip or was a few years ago.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

Was told to move in Naples and Kissimmi. One place was told along with a neighbour Walmart store manager travelling. I moved but he stayed and was going to report the name of the security officer to headquarters. His reasons were that Walmart owned parking lots are free parking for all customers.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
His reasons were that Walmart owned parking lots are free parking for all customers.
But Wal*Mart also says they leave that decision up to the individual store manager. If they've had troubles in the past they can refuse to allow overnight resting.
Here in Vancouver, WA they have an ordinance against overnight stays. Seems there's a national park owners association that puts out a packet of info on how to get anti overnight parking rules enacted and so that's what at least on local park owner did. The park owners think they are losing $$ if Wal*Mart allows parking. We use it like most people, get off the road, sleep for a while, buy some supplies (at WM) and eat at a restaurant close by. If they don't allow it they lose our money totally as we drive on by and finid somewhere else. We don't need/want a swimming pool etc just to rest for a few hours!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Walmart sleeping isn't as consistent as it's made out to be. I went on the road, once tired I looked on the RVParky app and found a Walmart about 20 miles ahead, I called, manager on duty said sure, please park on this side of the lot, I'll let the incoming manager know, please come in and tell him you're here. We hung up, shift change happened, I mosey inside and was told to leave. That was the other guy, I'm not going to allow it.

It was a Saturday night and there was a Chick fil A in the same center. I went there, spent the night and not a word was said.

So, make sure you scope out some options on your way in, it could change at any moment.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
most counties in FL have ordinances against overnighting in parking lots (I havent heard of one that doesnt). Be happy you didnt get a ticket from the police.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #12

I have a app called ! RV parky.com. It is a good place to fine out were to overnight park your RV.
Jeff Keyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
most counties in FL have ordinances against overnighting in parking lots (I havent heard of one that doesnt). Be happy you didnt get a ticket from the police.
I believe Orlando or the whole county has this ordinance--you see small signs posted on street poles all over. It is pushed by the motel owners association etc--has to do with the bed tax. I think you can get a ticket from the police for it.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
I believe Orlando or the whole county has this ordinance--you see small signs posted on street poles all over. It is pushed by the motel owners association etc--has to do with the bed tax. I think you can get a ticket from the police for it.
Very few, if any, Walmart's in the Central Florida area are able to let you overnight park. A few near Ocala, and one in Deltona have 'mostly unenforced' overnight parking prohibition. If you travel in the spring and fall, they aren't enforced that much, but in peak season (Winter), you'll get asked to move. In Orlando, you may even get tazed, beaten, and tazed again before they arrest you for resisting arrest. I live here in central florida, and I avoid going into Orlando at all.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote