Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

what are some good motor homes for boondocking

would appreciate any input on DP motor homes that are good for getting to remote boondocking places. Not something to be used for overnighting at a wal-mart or the like. I would like some info pertaining to wheelbase, length, ground clearance, and overall ruggedness and ability to stand up to us on rough roads. There will be two people and a border collie using the MH we are experencied tent campers. Please all I want is input on motor homes. Not how to camp,where to camp or how to drive,we are both retired truck driver that grew up on family farms in th 50s and 60s we have all the rest well covered.
phrrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrrent View Post
would appreciate any input on DP motor homes that are good for getting to remote boondocking places. Not something to be used for overnighting at a wal-mart or the like. I would like some info pertaining to wheelbase, length, ground clearance, and overall ruggedness and ability to stand up to us on rough roads.
Are you familiar with the EarthRoamer vehicles? Not DPs, but if you're going into seriously rough country......

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrrent View Post
Please all I want is input on motor homes.
Thirty-four foot is about the "shortest" DP. Ground clearance would be a major concern and even at this length the twist and turns would be difficult. That's my input.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
I think you'll find most of the typical 35 to 40 foot DP to be so similar in those features you mentioned that you'll need other criteria to make a selection, but this forum has an abundance of info on "boondocking" subjects such as power/battery consumption, locations, etc. Otherwise, you may need to pursue other vehicles as suggested by RustyJC. Keep us posted!
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Global Expedition Vehicles

Some nice rides
Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the replys, as for Earthroamer, or Expedition Vehicles, my MH will be for fulltiming not just for vacations and I have driven trucks with sleepers with more room than either of these vehicles. The price of these vehicles is not justified by their ability to really not be able to take you much further into the boonies, they do well on extremely rough roads,muddy or snow covered roads. But roads that I have found while 4 wheeling with a jeep are to narrow and lack suffecient overhead clearance for these trucks. Also what would you do when you're coming down a 8.5ft wide road with a 500ft drop off on one side and a steep mt. side going up on the other and you meet someone coming up the other way and they have the right of way? You're SOL. All I want is motorhome that will get me beyond the campgrounds to the less used areas of public lands, not somthing to be used for 4 wheeling, I will tow a jeep for that.
phrrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/boondocking-with-a-diesel-pusher-55599.html
is practically the same question. Perhaps you'll find useful information there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
I think I would stick with the Jeep toad for the off-roading. The Global Expedition Vehicles are interesting though.
I think that if I could get a 35 ft 101" wide MH into a boondocking camping spot I could probably maneuver a 40ft, 101" wide MH in the same area. Will 4-6ft shorter and 2000lbs lighter really make much difference??
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is water/gray capacity. There is signicant variation here. I do a lot of dry camping and water capacity was one of my deciding factors.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
WATER STOWAGE...... To me this is one of the most important items to consider when it comes to boon docking. Our coach will hold 75 gallons of fresh water. Our gray tank will hold 35 gallons and our black tank will hold 50 gallons. If we are careful we can live for about seven days without hook ups or dumping. Our coach is a 2000 model Pace Arrow 33 feet long. I can get in and out of tight places without much trouble and we have never been ''stuck'' but once and that was due to my stupidity and lack of planning. We got un stuck using the leveling jacks and some blocks of wood. (another story here) Our ''toad'' is a 04 Ford Ranger 4 w/d and it will go about anywhere ...... we have a 4kva generator for power and two 6 volt house batteries and a converter. Boondocking is fun, usually not crowded and cheap. If you boondock take the pledge to NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON THE GROUND EXCEPT FOOT PRINTS AND NEVER TAKE ANY THING EXCEPT GOOD MEMORIES AND PICTURES.....
Seajay the sailor man...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
The Alpine Coach is one to consider for boondocking. They are known for their large tanks. 100 gallons fresh, 100 gallons grey and 80 gallons black is typical. In addition, the Alpine Coach forum here has a number of very knowledgable folks that can help with coach specific issues that may come up.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #12

Although I don't personally own a DP, we regularly go boondocking with others that own Fleetwood Expeditions, HR's and others. All of them will get you off the beaten path. It's just a matter of paying attention to the terrain, knowing what soft spots look like in various washes, and occasionally getting out and walking an unknown stretch of dirt road so as not to get into a situation where you might have to backup for a considerable distance.

Capacities are paramount in a DP decision, and if the coach already has a solar array, that is just icing on the cake.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Along with Grey/Black/Fresh water capacities, if you are considering serious boondocking look at space availability for extra batteries and installation of Solar Panels, fuel tank capacity (if you plan to run generator a lot) and propane tank capacity for sure.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote