Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

What batteries do you use?

Hello!!

So, I have a arctic fox 1150 camper and I use my camper year round. About 30 days I spend snow skiing in well below freezing weather. The last two years I have used middle of the road wet cell deep cycle batteries. This year I'm thinking of buying two if not three agm batteries. I do have two 100 watt solar panels and a 1000 watt Honda generator, but I think is obvious that I don't get that much from the panels in crappy weather and I would rather not run the Honda 10 hours a day.
Anyone have any agm batteries that you can recommend? one thing to consider is that I'm tight on space so 2 6 volt batteries is not an option.

Thanks
Ken
Beaverton Oregon
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #2

Just a question, if you can fit two, maybe three agm batteries why can't you fit two 6 volt batteries?
riverracerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverracerxx View Post
Just a question, if you can fit two, maybe three agm batteries why can't you fit two 6 volt batteries?
That was my question The main thing is to get the largest true deep cycle with the highest AH rating that fits. 2 T105s gives you 230AH. It's hard to beat these and about impossible if price is any consideration. Of course if you are using interior space, then AGMs are needed.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post

That was my question The main thing is to get the largest true deep cycle with the highest AH rating that fits. 2 T105s gives you 230AH. It's hard to beat these and about impossible if price is any consideration. Of course if you are using interior space, then AGMs are needed.
You got that right!! I'm using a camper so the box won't take the weight of t105's nor is it big enough and since the box is inside, it either needs to be vented or with AGMs in which in that case I can put them where ever
I have 4 t125s in my boat and LOVE those....
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #5

Measure the full dimensions (length, width and depth) of your intended space for the batteries and let us know what they are. Thank You.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
You got that right!! I'm using a camper so the box won't take the weight of t105's nor is it big enough and since the box is inside, it either needs to be vented or with AGMs in which in that case I can put them where ever
I have 4 t125s in my boat and LOVE those....
Don't be mislead thinking that AGMs are safe for use in an unvented location. It could be a costly or even fatal mistake.
If for what ever reason they are over charged they can gas off.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

A friend of mine uses a slide-in camper for accommodation while he's on the road for work, 12 months a year, north and south, and had the same problem.

He brought it over to my shop to brainstorm on how to solve the issue, together we discovered that there was enough room for a pair of T105's ahead of the wheel well on each side of the box. When the camper goes in it strands this empty space. All that was needed was some cables and plywood boxes on each side to hold the batteries. They charge from either the engine alternator, Honda genset, or shore power.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
A friend of mine uses a slide-in camper for accommodation while he's on the road for work, 12 months a year, north and south, and had the same problem.

He brought it over to my shop to brainstorm on how to solve the issue, together we discovered that there was enough room for a pair of T105's ahead of the wheel well on each side of the box. When the camper goes in it strands this empty space. All that was needed was some cables and plywood boxes on each side to hold the batteries. They charge from either the engine alternator, Honda genset, or shore power.
That's a fantastic idea!!!! I will have to look I to doing just that

Thanks
Ken
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Just a thought, but have you considered the newest technology of Lithium Ion Batteries? I am strongly leaning that way on my next battery purchase, however the price is a shocker. But if you want the best, then you must pay. See www.aboutrving.com/rr_one.php and www.lithiumion-batteries.com/lithium-rv-deep-cycle.php
Also see www.lithionicsbattery.com/rv.html it may well pay for itself over the long term.

All the best.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
Just a thought, but have you considered the newest technology of Lithium Ion Batteries? I am strongly leaning that way on my next battery purchase, however the price is a shocker. But if you want the best, then you must pay. See www.aboutrving.com/rr_one.php and www.lithiumion-batteries.com/lithium-rv-deep-cycle.php
Also see www.lithionicsbattery.com/rv.html it may well pay for itself over the long term.

All the best.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/www.lithi...deep-cycle.php
Interesting reading!! battery technology seems to be changing daily......
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post

All the best.
Isn't that what the Boeing planes that are catching fire use?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #12

I use four Fullriver DC220-6 AGM batteries.

The other two are in the battery bay under the top entry step just to the right of the two you see.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #13

The solution I would look at is a single Lithium battery. Cuts charging time and can be nearly drained without damage to the battery. It can cut your charging time in half and give you more consistent power.
These are now made for RVs and are not the type that will explode on you. One of these can equal up to six normal house batteries but they are expensive. Course when your freezing or need that hot cup of coffee, what price will you pay then?
Lithionics RV Li3 Batteries
Superb Battery, Super B Batteries, LifePO4 Batteries | SEPBatteries.com
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
I use four Fullriver DC220-6 AGM batteries.

The other two are in the battery bay under the top entry step just to the right of the two you see.
Dang, I wish I had that kind of battery room