Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What is your longest RV Boondocking time?

Now I have done some wonderful fun boondocking in some Okay and some truly wonderful places. There have been times we have wanted to stay longer. But due to some limitations, we had to pull up our stakes and move on sadly at times.

Now my question is what has pulled you away from Boondocking?
Time, Fuel, Food. Leaving for any reason and returning because of any of the above will stop the time count for your time totally Boondocking? So how long at one time have you Boondocked and in what type of RV?
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #2

7 days, still lots of grey/black left and about 20% fw. On solar the whole time, so no gen because no ac necessary [winter]. Just time to move on.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #3

14 days. Left to find a dump station and to move on. After 14 days we always want to explore a new area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
19 days, due to Black Tank
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
7 days just not my thing not being able to dry clothes
Old 10-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #6

14 days for me in a trailer. 20 something in a large 4 bedroom tent in slab city years ago. Plan to break that 14 days record I have when I boondock after going full time. Try to get 365 days
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
Now I have done some wonderful fun boondocking in some Okay and some truly wonderful places. There have been times we have wanted to stay longer. But due to some limitations, we had to pull up our stakes and move on sadly at times.

Now my question is what has pulled you away from Boondocking?
Time, Fuel, Food. Leaving for any reason and returning because of any of the above will stop the time count for your time totally Boondocking? So how long at one time have you Boondocked and in what type of RV?
It also might be an interesting question when - adding in the requirement for approximate weather independence (within the U.S.).

IAW, how long has one RV boondocked in U.S. cold conditions or hot conditions without leaving for any reason? IMHO, (comfortable) RV boondocking under more extreme conditions is really where "the men are separated from the boys".
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

Our water/holding would only allow about a week before requiring a trip to town to dump, fill, and get other supplies. For hunting we would repeat this process for the length of the season, about a month. When traveling it would be about the same, we could go for up to a week and then need to dump and fill.

In our 40+ years of traveling with RV's there have been very few times when we were in a park connected to water sewer, etc. That was not our purpose for having the RV. We were either visiting whatever we were there to see, or moving on to the next place.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
RV boondocking under more extreme conditions is really where "the men are separated from the boys".
Ha, that would have been the tent campers at our (bow elk) hunting camp. This was usually in the Tiaoga unit near Coos Bay, OR. The late hunt there was in December and weather could be anything from mild, to pouring rain with hurricane force wind, to freezing with snow. I remember one year when the tents blew down and the tent campers were holed up in my camper, and with truck canopy campers.

I was always comfortable in the RV, except early on when the only thing I had to travel on to hunt was a Honda CT90 in whatever weather there was. Later we had a choice between a 90 or the Tracker.

None of us ever went home because of the weather because, as they say, If you don't like the current weather in OR just wait a short while and it will change. There is some truth there, only sometimes it gets worse.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #10

14 days on the deserts in the southwest mostly Quartzsite. But we didn't cheat by using outside rest areas with the possible exception of an occasional pit stop at a restaurant. All the rest on internal resources. Black and gray full, water approaching empty.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

I am fulltime. I have an all electric RV, no propane. I hardly ever boondock. I may stop for a night in a rest stop when traveling from place to place, does that count? I have been to Quartzsite many times and boondocked once there for a week. Before I had an RV I would ride my Harley cross country. I had a Bekins blanket bunged to my bike and would roll it out in a corn field for the night. Did many 3 or 4 week trips. Do they count as boondocking?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #12

We've done right at 7 days. The fresh water and waste water are really the only limiting factors. At some point you're gonna run out of water and usually about the same time.....you're full on the waste water end of things. I'm looking forward to extending that time when I retire. After 7 days I think a day at an RV park would allow opportunity to dump, refill, do laundry and reload food. Then back to the boonies.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #13

Howdy!

Three and a half mouths in one place. But that was in Quartzsite on the BLM that had water and a dump station. You can learn a lot for the folks that boondock there, I know I did.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
14 days on the deserts in the southwest mostly Quartzsite. But we didn't cheat by using outside rest areas with the possible exception of an occasional pit stop at a restaurant. All the rest on internal resources. Black and gray full, water approaching empty.
When boondocking I try to keep my bathroom visits to a minimum and use the sand and dirt for #1. Usually parked off in the middle of nowhere out of site, but at night I will use the real toilet. I am a dirty old man though lol.. Well not old, but a man none the less who is alone most of the time.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, nights & days, time limits