Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I believe the area you're talking about is along State routes Alt 89 and/or 260? A great deal of that area is in the Prescott National Forrest and the Coconino National Forrest. In some areas these face each other directly across the road. If you are that concerned, go to the local Forrest Service office and find out exactly what the rules are in the area that most concerns you, and who you are supposed to contact (phone number) when you have an issue. Just remember, if there is a time limit, just moving across the street may be a way these folks get around that. Further, I'd be very surprised if there were rules about how new or how pretty (or ugly) these rigs can be.

I'm quite familiar with this very area as I spend time there every winter, and have stayed at in both forests. We stay in both the fee and free areas. In addition, we visit with friends who winter in Oak Creek. Frankly, with the Oak Creek and Sedona permanent and winter residents income levels and the vast number of restrictions these towns have on just about EVERY activity, it's obvious the "not in my backyard" crowd feels these people offend their delicate sensibilities, and want them gone. A simple ride down any road in the area will show you a myriad of signs restricting this and that.

If these "BUMS" are violating the rules of staying in these places, you have a valid complaint, that needs to be addressed. If they simply offend your sensibilities, I'd remind you that these forests are available for ALL our citizens to use and enjoy. These areas were not created for your private viewing pleasure, so deal with it, there will be more.
I've never felt these folks are "bums". As long as they're not dumping their waste on the ground, I don't have a problem with them. I'm an RVer too and have boondocked myself at times, but I don't think anyone really wants a homeless camp in their back yard either. At some point it will probably get out of hand, just like Wal-Mart overnight parking has in some areas, and laws will be passed to put a stop to it.

I guess it's not much different than the California "Okie" labor camps of the 30s as portrayed in the Grapes of Wrath. There are those who will come down on the "poor people have to live somewhere" side of the argument and others will call them "bums". I don't really care to hash out that argument here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 03:13 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Been awhile??
$15 per dump at the CGs
SHell/Texaco..CLOSED
yes moved to buckeye then been on the rd for 7 months. but now i think mid jan i will boondock up off 89a
Old 11-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was reading the OP and got a bit of a chuckle. I am a retired/disabled vet and I own an older, yet immaculate RV. I 'live' in National Parks, State Parks, and on BLM Land, going to those end of... the end of the road spots.

I am 'Homeless', in that I no longer own a house nor do I rent (well, I am right now until the engine is finished). I sort of have an address, a re-mailing service and I just be-bop from one day until the next. My ultimate plan, is to have no plan. My TOAD rolls, but it isn't a Rolls.

I move into my parking area and make it mine... hell, I even have an inflatable hot tub. I am going solar and the whole point is to extend the Boondocking as long as possible. I am even installing a forever shower.

I am an outdoorsman and like to water the trees, so the majority of what goes into the black tank are clinkers. Once the solar is complete my limiting factor will be fresh water and I carry 100 gallons. My old LF was the gasoline for the genny. It will be interesting to see how long the fresh water can last.

If you are adventurous and a talented driver there are places where you won't even SEE people for 2-3 weeks unless you go looking for them. Some rangers will just let you stay... I am sure not forever, but for longer than 2-weeks. It depends on the area's traffic and whether your site is an eyesore.

I got to know a Ranger in Northern Arizona that let me stay for a month, but there was NO ONE there. I didn't even see another person the first week. He couldn't see my rig from the 'road' and he was stunned someone would take a Class A so far off the beaten path. He was there when I drove out because he didn't think I would make it and he wanted to watch.

Ya just gotta know the limits of your equipment. In another life I drove large straight trucks and articulated vehicles. Logging-trucks, drop-decks, double-drops, skateboards, and I hauled heavy equipment from Colorado to Canada for R/C Trucking.

I can park an 18-wheeler where some folks would wonder if a SMART Car can fit. Driving an RV is a breeze, it is all about spacial orientation.

I will give you some hints...

1. Use your TOAD to scout, yes I know that is OBVIOUS. What I mean is ACTUALLY drive your toad to the space you plan to park in. Your toad's tires will tell you a lot... I also carry quite a few small (1') traffic cones for marking paths, turns, and backing points. You can get them at the dollar store.

2. Go to a parking lot, and place a traffic cone at the front & back left side bumpers. Crank the wheel all the way to the right and begin to move forward. Have a partner place cones every 10-15' as you roll along. At some point the rear of your rig will be over the cone-line and at a 45-degree angle. Stop, measure, and record how much of the rig is over the cone-line, this is your 'Sweep'.

Then continue until the rig cuts across your original line of travel, now you have an actual visual of your turn-radius. Walk it, measure it, and record the results... I would also suggest getting out a rope long enough to cross and use knots to record distance.

In a really tight area you and a partner can use the rope to work out turns and use the cones as indicators. I even have a pole-brush for washing the rv that has 'Hooks' for holding a branch up as the rv passes beneath.

If you are persistent you can achieve freedom from the masses...

3. That sinking feeling in your gut... listen to it. Carry pioneer tools (Shovel, Axe, and Pick-Axe). I have used the pickaxe to knock the tops off a few brutal rocks that could have damaged something under my rig. Remember safety glasses!!! Rock chips can blind you.

4. Carry big 'Contractor' garbage bags and don't leave any trash. It's not like a traveled campsite where folks pick up the trash. If you leave it, it's there.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #32

I’m guilty. Just got a ticket. Now I’m behaving. I do work locally and plan on buying a house once my student loans are paid. Or I’ll just move somewhere else with a lower cost of living.

I have a very nice rig and keep a clean campsite. But, there are more and more undesirables camping close to Sedona. Trash, fires not put out, loud music, drunkenness, calls to LEOs have increased. Surprisingly, theft among campers doesn’t seem to be an issue. Although this is AZ and many have guns and dogs[emoji12].

The rangers are cracking down because of homeowner complaints and because of the threat to the local tourist economy. The mountain bikers and hikers are typically here for only a few days to a week and then are gone. The New Agers sometimes stay longer and have older rigs and stay in cars. Then there’s the homeless that can cause problems but it’s only a minority of them doing so. The after mentioned are GROSS generalizations on my part.

If I didn’t work here, I can think of a million other places to go.........
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I live near Sedona, AZ, and just over the last couple years I'm seeing a lot more RVs camped off the side roads that feed the highways, often for weeks at a time. On the ten mile drive from my house to Sedona I recently counted a dozen parked motorhomes and travel trailers, some of which look more like permanent residences than vacationers.

I don't have a problem with campers, but I have to wonder what the more long-term residents are doing with their waste, and I'd hate to see our forest roads and jeep trails become de facto homeless camps.
I'm with you 1000% on that!!

We need a new abbreviation - LV's. That's a vehicle designation for folks to live in, as opposed to vehicles to camp in. (Ooops ... I guess the old term for an LV is a "mobile home".)
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #34

I believe this case in Federal Court has a bearing on this post?

https://sedonaeye.com/sedona-man-cha...wins-in-court/
Old 01-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I believe this case in Federal Court has a bearing on this post?

https://sedonaeye.com/sedona-man-cha...wins-in-court/

That’s a BS ticket. I’ve day hiked and backpacked there. One needs a capable high clearance 4wd vehicle to get back there. Because it’s not an easy drive, many don’t go that trailhead. I don’t fault the ranger, just the Sedona aristocracy.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAMTBR View Post
That’s a BS ticket. I’ve day hiked and backpacked there. One needs a capable high clearance 4wd vehicle to get back there. Because it’s not an easy drive, many don’t go that trailhead. I don’t fault the ranger, just the Sedona aristocracy.
I agree 100%. Too many local RESIDENTS who think the views and access to public lands in the Sedona area are their own personal property and shouldn't be contaminated by those crass and ugly outsiders. They've twisted federal and local arms to limit access in as many ways as possible and are beginning to be called out on it... And they don't like it a bit. The place shouldn't be turned into a "San Francisco under the bridge" experience, but the laws should be enforced fairly for ALL, not just the moneyed locals.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #37

The first time we visited Sedona was in 1992. We loved it and vowed to return.

We have tried three more times and each time the town got busier and busier and then the roundabouts; more stores; difficulty parking; high prices, etc.

Our last time was two years ago taking our granddaughter. We couldn't wait to leave but we promised her a couple nights stay. We had to even find a more remote area to do our hiking as everything else was packed. Trying to get through town in our car necessitated a long wait. Trying to stop for hiking north on 89A we found no parking spaces.

It's really a shame at what it's become. We'll never return.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAMTBR View Post

Doesn't the court decision apply to the whole area? Not just one trailhead. I certainly thought so. Which includes the area between Sedona and Cottonwood.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #39

I agree they are homeless - I hesitate to call them all bums with all the mental health issues that are no longer supported and the number of those with PTSD from war and other things
J Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #40

Oh, joy. Another homeless bashing festival. A proud and loud discussion by the saddest examples of humanity, anywhere. You paint with a very broad brush, and present your bigotry boldly in a forum where the people you're disparaging are well represented. I am grateful that I will never be mistaken for a member of the monied snob set. If you wonder if I'm talking about YOU, then I probably am.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Oh, joy. Another homeless bashing festival. A proud and loud discussion by the saddest examples of humanity, anywhere. You paint with a very broad brush, and present your bigotry boldly in a forum where the people you're disparaging are well represented. I am grateful that I will never be mistaken for a member of the monied snob set. If you wonder if I'm talking about YOU, then I probably am.

Technically I’m homeless. I definitely have issues[emoji12]. Unfortunately a few makes it hard for the rest. Many “rubber tramps” and “leather tramps” are chill.

There are places around Sedona to hike and back back without crowds but it helps to have local knowledge. And 4wd.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Don’t want to make light of any of the issues brought up here, but “boondocking” is a general term. It has evolved.....

I use the term camping as a generalization: camp, park, stay, etc.

Boondocking = camping in the boonies, away from it all. (This includes BLM, forestry land, state parks, etc).

Walldocking = camping at Walmart.

Lotdocking = camping in any parking lot other than walmart.

Moochdocking = camping in a relatives or friends driveway. (you are only mooching if you hook up).

All of the above are dependent
on following the time limit rules (written or not), being respectful, cleaning up and moving on.

An rv/camper/van/car that has set up residency, is tarp covered, leaking, surrounded by trash, and has overstayed their welcome does not qualify as a true “boondocker”. Doesn’t alway mean it is a choice. Could be down on their luck.

There is also stealthdocking, but that one is all about camping in a van/car where you are not supposed to - different style, different purpose.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, boondock