Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I was dumping my grey and black tanks at a walmart one night in a rain storm and a worker came over and asked if I was camping. I said no I just pulled in to dump my tanks. He said ok have a good day.
Honesty is the best policy.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
Reference the Lake City Florida mention, the person who started the hubbub happened to own the campground in town. Hmmmm.
Yep, at least one of the campground owners associations put out a packet on "working the system" to get overnighting on parking lots banned. That's what happened here too. It was at least one of the campground owners pushing for the ordinance.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I haven't tried it yet, but if you are a member of an organized religion, I suspect local churches might allow you to park on their church parking lot for a night along your travels. I have also read, but not tried it yet, that Cabelas and Bass Pro shops often allow--or even encourage--RVers to sleep on their lot. You can fit a lot of sporting goods inside an RV, after all!! Some Sam's clubs allow it too, while others do not.

We use our RV to take our kids to sporting events that are often held at high schools. These are 3-day events from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. I have asked and received permission to sleep in our RV in their "back" parking lots on some occasions, with full permission to "camp" (ex. use BBQ grills and set up chairs outside). I have only done this with permission, however, and not all places can accommodate us.

There are websites and other threads here on iRV2 that discuss boondocking, and where/how to do it safely and with permission.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #46

After a shoot out with Police by group of vagabonds city immediately pasted 'No Overnight Parking' ordinance.

IMHO.......none too soon!

Now I don't have to be so concerned that GF will get accosted when she goes to Walmart and I don't have to dodge all the pee filled bottles littering the parking lot.

"Wally Docking"........that's an expression that shouldn't exist
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post

No kidding? All I would want is electricity, but which Walmarts have that?
I can't tell you which Walmart's but the information came from a Walmart manager where I happen to be parked for the night and doing some shopping. I was taken back when he told me and I was surprised to hear it but it makes sense especially if they want to encourage RVer's to stop for a night. It's not like there were a lot of them in the parking lot.

Trust me you won't find a lot of Walmart's with RV services but they are out there. Also because I travel through Canada a lot to get to Alaska it may have been in Canada someplace.

I even found a Camping World on the I-10 while going west where I went into use their dump station and asked to stay the night from the store manager. He said hopefully there is a slot out there with electric and water which there was so I was a happy camper.

However, because I am always self-sufficient and self-contained I have never had the need for any electric, water or a dump station while parked for the night at any Walmart.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post

I was good until you mentioned "get permission"
What is,wrong with asking permission. If you were a business owner wouldn't you appreciate getting asked before using your property?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Now I don't have to be so concerned that GF will get accosted when she goes to Walmart and I don't have to dodge all the pee filled bottles littering the parking lot.

"Wally Docking"........that's an expression that shouldn't exist
It's bad where you are, so it should be bad everywhere and banned everywhere?

Because it's not. And it shouldn't.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
We always to the customer service desk and ask the person there if it is OK to park and if they have a preferred area. Most of the time the person will just say OK. A few times the clerk has called the on-duty manager. We have never been turned away.

We have been asked not to park by the entry doors by a few. I wonder who the fool was who parked their MH by the entry doors of a Walmart? Obviously they are getting around because we have been encountered the statement at different stores.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I once, a long time ago, saw a large MH with a toad parked in the handicapped parking SPACES (as in taking up all of them) and there was a blue handicapped placard on the MH dashboard.

I think that is the kind of thing that makes the "not in front of the entry" comment happen.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, at least one of the campground owners associations put out a packet on "working the system" to get overnighting on parking lots banned. That's what happened here too. It was at least one of the campground owners pushing for the ordinance.

I own a CPA firm and my income is dependent on being able to prepare people's income tax returns for a fee. [moderator edit] I would like to have a city ordinance saying that it is illegal for people to prepare their own tax returns or have friends do it for free. That would be so cool.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #53

Marathon FL. local liquor store owner won a seat on the city council.

Banned any new liquor store license's within specific distance of existing liquor stores or schools.

Since been rescinded, when he was voted out. Two new liquor stores opening.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I had no problem figuring out they were just kidding. I guess my sarcasm meter is fully calibrated.
For $20 I will gladly issue a Sarcasm Certificate of Calibration!

Just send in the sour disposition and it will be adjusted with just enough sarcasm to stick. Attitude adjustments only. Repairs are extra.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping