Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 12:47 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Unhappy When does parking become camping?

If I am parked in a 24 hour grocery store lot at 3 AM, why do people accuse me of camping?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Who is accusing you?
Did you put you slides out, deploy your awning and stoke up the BBQ? If so you're "camping".
Just stopping and sleeping is not camping, it getting some much needed sleep so you can continue your trip safely.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #3

pay no mind to the haters. give them a proper description of camping.. fire, smores, kids having fun playing, grill with some kind of meat on it, eggs and bacon in the AM, the biggest part of camping to me is having other campers around to do all this with
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Most of the places that are restricted say "No overnight parking", in which case it makes no difference whther you are camping or not. Why not just go someplace that welcomes you, like most Walmarts do?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, here's the definition of camping:
VERB
1.stay for a time in a camp, tent, or camper, as when on vacation:
"parks in which you can camp or stay in a chalet"
synonyms: pitch tents · set up camp · encamp · bivouac
•lodge temporarily, especially in an inappropriate or uncomfortable place:
"we camped out for the night in a mission schoolroom"
•remain persistently in one place:
"the press will be camping on your doorstep once they get onto this story"

Having said that....I think "camping" is being in the RV, sleeping, eating, relaxing, etc. In your defense, did you follow the "golden rules" of boondocking? (Because if its not a true campsite, that is what you're doing). Did you ask permission of the business (someone with authority to grant the permission) to sleep there for a few hours? Did you spent a little money in the store in exchange? It seems unfair to pull into another persons business even to grab a quick nap at 3AM without both permission and some exchange. Many places are starting to discourage boondocking by city ordinances prohibiting RV parking of any kind unless its in a campground or other "approved" facility. Makes the quick nap expensive at $250 per ticket. Parking on someone else's property is not a given right of RV'ers. It's a privilege we need to protect by being respectful of others. Even private properties that appear closed and abandoned should be afforded this respect. JMHO.

Aside from simple pulling in and hitting the bunk, if you put out any slides, awnings, campstove, chairs, or rugs etc...you are camping. Period. I don't think there is anyway around that one.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #6

When dry camping in a parking lot (which is private property) I approach the situation with a great deal of respect and no sense of intitlement. I first ask permission from the store if it is allowed. When parking nothing touches the ground but my wheels and I stay no longer than the next morning. If anyone in authority approaches me and asks me to move or leave I would respectfully comply.
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

Camping, 1 or more of the below:

Slide out
Jacks Down
Awning out
Generator Running
BBQ grill deployed
Chairs out

I drove by a Walmart the other day and saw a TT with jacks down and slide out. This type of behavior will get us banned from quick overnight stays.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Wal-Mart and others can certainly spoil you

Sometime we travel as much as 30 days on a 5,000 mile trip across the US and back. We stay at campgrounds, Wal-Mart’s or a similar place, going and coming. I may travel for 3 to 4 days straight crossing states which I have already explored. Then we may find an RV Park and stay 2 nights or more.

When you pull off the road into a Wal-Mart or similar place and park your rig, you are done. You can rest, eat, bath etc. You can even walk to eat or shop. When you wake up at 5am you can start your engine without disturbing your neighbors and leave. Your road or interstate is right there next to the parking lot.

If you stay exclusively at a campground you have to first find a campground. It is usually miles off your route. Then you have to drive to get to it. After you find the campground you have to stop at the gate and check in. You have to show your ID, tell them you just want to stay one night. Tell the campground host how long your rig is, how many people are with you, etc. Then you have to drive through the campground in the dark and find a vacant spot that is not reserved. Then you have to place an item of property in the empty campsite to secure it. Then you have to drive back to the check-in station sometimes a mile through several narrow loops and pay. Then you have to drive back to the camp site and park your RV, usually back it in. If you are towing a vehicle you have to unhook it. Then you can’t leave the next morning until 7 or 8 when the host gets up and unlocks the gate. You have to re-hook your tow vehicle to the RV. Then you have to find your way back to your original route.

Once I get to my final destination I might be ready for a nice quite campground to sit back, relax and stay awhile. There is a difference in traveling and camping.

Here is what happen in 2011:

Lake City,Fla., Lifts Wal-Mart RV Parking Ban

February9, 2011

The RV community spoke and the city of Lake City, Fla., listened.

Signs posted at Wal-Mart that announced “No RV Camping or Sleeping Enforced,” were removed on Thursday (Feb. 3), the Lake City Reporter reported.

“It’sjust the right thing to do,” said City Manager Wendell Johnson.

Thecity of 10,000 is located off Interstate 75 near the north entry way to the Sunshine State.

Previously,a flood of letters and e-mails were sent to the Lake City Reporter, as well as Johnson, opposing the enforcement.

A letter was sent to Lake City Wal-Mart District Manager Michael Brown that morning stating, “You are in no way obligated to have these signs posted and may remove them at your convenience.”

The signs were first displayed in January after the city was asked to enforce its law by the Columbia County Tourist Development Council (TDC).

According to Section 4.2.16 of the city’s Land Development Regulations, “No major recreational equipment shall be used for living, sleeping or house keeping purposes when parked or stored on a lot in a residential direction or any other location not approved for such use.” Columbia County has an identical regulation.

The issue of RV camping has been ongoing for more than three years, Johnson said. It was first brought to his attention after becoming city manager in 2009.

It came up again at a TDC meeting in October, and Johnson contacted the Wal-Mart manager to discuss a possible solution which led to the signs being posted.

There was a tremendous reaction from the RV community, locally and nationwide, once the signs went up, Johnson said.

“For the most part it was negative,” he said. “It cast a terrible reflection on LakeCity.”

Based on the feedback, he and Mayor Stephen Witt felt something had to be done, Johnson said.

“We thought the best thing to do would be to take (the signs) down,” he said.

A letter was sent July 7, 2009, from the TDC to the city which represents its thoughts, said Harvey Campbell, executive director. Either the ordinance should be enforced or taken off the books.

The TDC has no intention of pushing the issue any further either way or to criticize the city, he said.

“The city has taken an action it believes in the best interest of the community and we support that,” Campbell said. “We’re ready to move on.”

Already calls have come in from RVers with positive comments, Johnson said. Overall camping at the store has never been a problem.

The intent of the law is to keep someone from living in unauthorized areas, he said. It wasn’t intended to prohibit RVers from stopping at Wal-Mart.

“We as city leaders have to be wise in interpretation of the law,” he said. “The law has a spirit and intent to prohibit conditions contrary to public interest.”

Itis not a problem with him for RVers to stop in the city to stretch their legs, catch a few hours napping and visit local businesses, Johnson said.

“It’sdifficult to please everybody,” he said. “Looking at what would be required and what has been asked to enforce the law creates a condition contrary to the best interest of the community, and not just Lake City but Columbia County.”

The law can’t be done away with because it will create problems and people will take advantage of the situation, he said. “We’ve got to have some standards,”Johnson said.

If there is a problem with someone camping for an extended number of days, the law will be enforced on a case-by-case basis, he said.

Suggestions are welcomed if someone thinks there is a better way to handle the situation, Johnson said. Putting the signs up created a worse problem.

“We want RVers to view Lake City as a friendly place to stop,” he said. “We don’t want any tourists coming through thinking we’re unfriendly.”

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/02/florida-city-lifts-wal-mart-rv-parking-ban/
Old 01-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Do these "no RV parking on private property" ordinances have some legitimate purpose, or just to promote paid campground businesses?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Do these "no RV parking on private property" ordinances have some legitimate purpose, or just to promote paid campground businesses?
Both.

Lake city is just off of I-10 on 75. Lots of people want to sleep for the night somewhere on their pilgrimage to florida. LOTS of people.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Actually, both. In some area, such as west and south Texas, campground and resort owners have gotten together and convinced the local government to pass an ordinance restricting RV and truck parking. It seems to increase their business. In other areas, its just a source of revenue for the town if they can write tickets for "parking" offensives. As mentioned in another post, a few towns have done this and then reversed it, however, the law may remain on the books, just not enforced, but businesses can post signs saying "No parking, camping or sleeping". This deters people sleeping in their cars also which normally will get you roused out.

One thought....say you are travelling in your RV down a back road. Would you just pull into to some farmers field or someone's driveway and take a nap? Probably not without permission. Really, is a business property any different? Its private property...so asking for permission would be the proper thing to do.... The same applies to truck stops. Some welcome RV'ers and others do not. If the signs clearly states "commercial vehicles only", then RV'ers should respect that and stay elsewhere. Trucks cannot stay in RV parks....so fair is fair eh?
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
If I am parked in a 24 hour grocery store lot at 3 AM, why do people accuse me of camping?

Why do you care?

Only two opinions count, yours and the owner/manager of the store. Put your jacks down and enjoy!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Whenever I stop for the night I always put my front curb side slide out.. Just to give me some room to move around
Old 01-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
How many times are you showing up in same parking lot?

Are you putting jacks down and slides out?

At 3AM who is doing the accusing....Police, store employees?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping