Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #29

Ok, I get the point. Thanks for all the replies. Wasn't sure about it but I've got the picture now. If I'm traveling for a distance and can't find a campground, I'll just check in to a Hampton Inn or something. I don't drive in the dark very well anymore and I'm certainly not going to just lay in the bed from dusk to dawn.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
In our previous MH, a Thor ACE, I think we ended up spending more nights in parking lots than we did in campgrounds. Quite often we spent nights in college parking lots where my son's team was playing. We also stayed at the occasional WalMart, Camping World, Gander Mountain and even in a few hotel parking lots. All were with permission - we would contact the school ahead of time to confirm. At the others we either called ahead or went in and spoke to the manager.

We always parked so that the slide was away from traffic patterns if we decided to use it. I have pulled out the grill on 2 occasions, but it was for a quick meal and put away as soon as it had cooled down. One of those was on a college campus and the other in a motel parking lot where my son's team was staying.

We definitely don't give the impression of moving in and we always make sure that we have permission.

At the stores, we've also planned so that we could pick up some things at the store while we were parking lot "camping". There were a few times (pre-approved) where we spent a weekend in WalMart lots, mainly because we hadn't thought about the school lot and there were no campgrounds within 30 miles. Next year is his last season playing and we are looking forward to spending several college campus parking lot nights already!

2016 Itasca Meridian 36M, 2009 Jeep Wrangler tow...
Old 06-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Better the people in the industry should worry about their own conduct, not mine.
Interesting that you should cop an attitude over being a conscientious RV'er!
Old 06-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Did you seek out the manager and ask about the rude behavior of the security guard? I would have. I think there must be something missing to this story.
Nothing rude about being told you can't camp there, some areas have that as law and the lot was probably signed as "No Overnight Camping Allowed" Maybe the driver missed seeing the sign.
We pulled in to a local shopping center lot to eat dinner at a restaurant in the mall on the way home from a weekend out Lot guard came over and asked if we were staying, I said "No, just going in to eat". We did and left.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #33
EV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Did you seek out the manager and ask about the rude behavior of the security guard? I would have. I think there must be something missing to this story.
No I did not seek out management for permission to park while making purchases from this Las Vegas store. The only thing missing was common sense and common courtesy. I do believe it was an overzealous security person with a poor attitude and possibly a badge syndrome. I spend a great deal of time observing and running my businesses and with our schedule, had little additional time to help train their people when other quick and convenient options were very near. Although there may have been signage at the perimeter we did not observe any on our departure from their lot and it was also not relevant to my means of transportation to their store. This was not in the evening and apparently being a customer was not relevant. It was fair for me to make my own assumptions based on those made by the merchant representative.
Obviously this does not apply to other Walmart stores, but the comment was made prior in this thread relating to supporting the stores and I simply wished to point out that policies obviously vary widely.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb187 View Post
Ok, I get the point. Thanks for all the replies. Wasn't sure about it but I've got the picture now. If I'm traveling for a distance and can't find a campground, I'll just check in to a Hampton Inn or something. I don't drive in the dark very well anymore and I'm certainly not going to just lay in the bed from dusk to dawn.

LOL, you FIRED EM UP! Sometimes they just get themselves going.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
No I did not seek out management for permission to park while making purchases from this Las Vegas store. The only thing missing was common sense and common courtesy. I do believe it was an overzealous security person with a poor attitude and possibly a badge syndrome. I spend a great deal of time observing and running my businesses and with our schedule, had little additional time to help train their people when other quick and convenient options were very near. Although there may have been signage at the perimeter we did not observe any on our departure from their lot and it was also not relevant to my means of transportation to their store. This was not in the evening and apparently being a customer was not relevant. It was fair for me to make my own assumptions based on those made by the merchant representative.
Obviously this does not apply to other Walmart stores, but the comment was made prior in this thread relating to supporting the stores and I simply wished to point out that policies obviously vary widely.
Reading is fundamental: I will ask again, after the rude guard confronted your other half, did you inform the manager about the rude behavior towards your other half. I gathered from the first post that you were not parking there over night or camping. The only way to fix rude behavior of rude employees is to inform the management of them. Otherwise some other poor driver of an RV will confronted by the same rude guard. I don't mine confronting managers about rude employees and expect them to rectify the situation.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Better the people in the industry should worry about their own conduct, not mine.
It is this attitude, Sir, that will eventually get the privilege removed for everyone.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The op has gotten their answer and it's beginning to get personal here so it's time we moved on.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread