Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #1

When Wallydocking.......

or J-docking, rest areas, etc., do y'all set up like you do at the reg campgrounds? Like putting the awning out, chairs, tables, grills, fire pit, etc. What about unhooking from the TT and staying a few days, running the generator. I have a TT and new to the camping scene, especially the ____docking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #2

ummm...no.

Most responsible RVers who stay overnight at those places stay for the convenience of on/off and are just there overnight. Not all Wallys allow overnight stays and more are refusing to because of those that take advantage and set up just like at a campground.

Read this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/here-...in-248483.html
Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
No.

no slides
no awnings
no lawn chairs
no mats
no BBQ grills
no unhooking
no staying longer than overnight
no tables

If you need to do any of these things, Please find a campgroud or RV park close by. They can always use the business and this will make them happy.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

I think most RVers would consider it rude and an imposition to "camp" at a Walmart or other "meant to be" an overnight stops. It is these "wallycampers" who are slowly but surely causing more Walmart managers to say no to overnight conveniences. Please treat the privilege as a one nighter. Most RVers don't put down jacks or extend slide outs to keep from appearing to "camp". Definitely no tables or grills. Buy some deli food from your generous host who allowed you to stay on their property for free.

And, ALWAYS ask the manager for permission.

Don
Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
No.

no slides
no awnings
no lawn chairs
no mats
no BBQ grills
no unhooking
no staying longer than overnight
no tables

If you need to do any of these things, Please find a campgroud or RV park close by. They can always use the business and this will make them happy.

I would suggest two amendments to your list. First, I would add No generators.

Next, I would modify No slides. On my 5er, if the slide is in, I can't get to the frig, bathroom, or bedroom. When I wallydock, I need to put a slide out. I do make certain that ti is not in the way of anything. When possible. I try to extend it over a grassy area.

Joel
Old 06-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #6

It's a privilege , let's not abuse walmart hospitality . Pull in , buy some essentials , sleep and leave
Old 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never had the need to overnight at a Wal-Mart, but you never know what may happen in the future. But I am aware of the rules.

It is those goofballs who put out their awnings, tables, etc. who will ruin the privilege for the responsible RVer. At least use some friggin' common sense, people!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
It's a privilege , let's not abuse walmart hospitality . Pull in , buy some essentials , sleep and leave
Buying something is not a quid pro quo; I think Walmart's expectation is that you'll be a customer once in awhile, but not everytime you use their lot.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have stayed twice at a Walmart, both times in big metro areas where crime is an issue, and, I just could not see well enough to night-drive any further. Both times , I got permission & both times I bought necessities (as I do wherever I go , I try to shop at Walmart).

I stay at Walmart as a last resort, but I really appreciate the option.

We all should respect & appreciate their kind offer.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Buying something is not a quid pro quo; I think Walmart's expectation is that you'll be a customer once in awhile, but not everytime you use their lot.
I've never stayed at a Walmart overnight, nor do I intend to do so in the future, but why not buy something each time you stay at a Walmart, since you're "camping" for free, every time you stay there.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I would suggest two amendments to your list. First, I would add No generators.

Joel
Not sure if that is a rule...

While I've never used my generator.. I would if the need arose... I have a gen-turi and would be mindful of my surrounding area..

I just figured since it always seems like it's my luck to be next to the trucker who is running his Thermo-King, me running my generator wouldn't be such a big deal.. especially with the gen-turi to make sure none of the fumes bother another RV'er...
Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
...but why not buy something each time you stay at a Walmart, since you're "camping" for free, every time you stay there.
I'm not going to buy something I don't need to thank Walmart, they get my business in normal course.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We'll stop at a Walmart (or a Flying J, Cabela's, Sam's, Rest Stop etc) if we are traveling from point A to B and only need a quick overnight stop.

If we are unsure if overnight parking is allowed we will ask permission.

We make sure to park out of the way. We will put out slides as it is hard to get around and access some cabinets without them out. If it is cool enough we do not run the generator but if it is not comfortable in the coach for us or the dogs we'll run the generator.

We do not put out awnings, lawn chairs etc.

We always pick up after our dogs and if we see other people haven't we'll sometimes pick that up also.

Never have had a problem and as long as everyone is responsible with the privilege I'm sure Walmart will continue to allow overnight parking. And YES we do usually go in and shop (at any of the places we stop), gives us something to do, stretch our legs, and resupply the coach.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb187 View Post
or J-docking, rest areas, etc., do y'all set up like you do at the reg campgrounds? Like putting the awning out, chairs, tables, grills, fire pit, etc. What about unhooking from the TT and staying a few days, running the generator. I have a TT and new to the camping scene, especially the ____docking.
ldb187
RVers with any common sense never "camp" in parking lots.
However when "overnighting" in a parking lot or a rest area I try to remain as inconspicuios as possible...(no awning out, no chairs, tables, grills, fire pit, etc.)... but I do sometimes disconnect my toad.
Mel
'96 Safari, 140K miles
Closed Thread