RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

Where do YOU get your water from?

...and how are you set up to obtain it?

Do you just use a hose to fill your water tanks, or carry water jugs and a folding aluminum hand truck, or what?

Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A five gallon jug of water weighs a little more than forty pounds. I lift one up on my shoulder and pour it into the tank. If I can fill the tank with potable water I'll fill it with a hose.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #3

I get it from a hose bibb via potable hose.

Boondocking is a short term camping experience..when fresh water tank needs refilling we pack up and go refill
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #4

So do you get your water from gas station hoses, or what?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tour View Post

Do you just use a hose to fill your water tanks, or carry water jugs and a folding aluminum hand truck, or what?
Yes to the jugs...and this might help:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5D2XZQ...4-9143b7b890b1
Old 10-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

We have 3 hoses, a plastic funnel with a flexible spout from Harbor Freight, a rubber "water thief", and a 7.5-gallon water container with a ball valve spout to handle any water fill station design.

At the dry-camping North Campground at Bryce Canyon NP, we used all those items to fill and refill our fresh water tank while we were there. Just a couple of weeks ago, we used two hoses and the water thief to fill our tank at the town spigot at Red Feather Lakes in northern Colorado.

When traveling on interstates in the West, we often use Flying J truck stops. They have water, RV dumps, separate RV fuel lanes, RV parking separate from truck parking, and often propane. And most towns and cities in Idaho have free or very low cost RV dumps and often potable water too. In Colorado, most CDOT rest stops near the borders of the state have water fills and RV dumps. Many Wyoming rest stops along I-25 also have water and dumps. In a couple of cases, we have also stopped at Wal-Mart and filled with fresh water from a hose at the auto service department.
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
So do you get your water from gas station hoses, or what?
Where ever you get the water trust nobody's hose other than your own. BYO hose/ filter.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

Full-timing and traveling constantly for 16 years and the majority of time boondocking on public lands or in public parks. We used many sources of water: gas stations, city parks, campground dump stations, quick shops, etc. We always used our own hose for filling the fresh water tank, never sanitized the tank and used the tank water for everything including drinking. We did have an excellent water filter for water coming in and one on the kitchen faucet for taste. We didn't use the cheapie blue filters. We got ours from RV Water Filter Store and is very helpful for guiding you to filter out bad stuff. Never had a problem.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #9

We generally mix our boondocking with travel days, or stays in a campground with a dump facility so we can empty our tanks. That said, we only have a 65 gallon freshwater tank with 90 gallons of gray and 45 of black so we often have to add water mid stay so to speak. We get it in a wide variety of areas. I keep a 60 gallon bladder in the truck, and we generally have a couple 7 gallon jugs we can use as well. From those I use a spare RV water pump I wired a harness and fittings on so that I can pump water from the bladder using garden hoses since my water fill is a hose fitting designed for pressurized water.

Water sources are parks, gas stations, some stores, dump stations, rest areas, RV parks etc. Some have fee's for water, many don't depending on where you are. We've always found finding water to be much easier than finding a place to dump
Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #10

Thanks, guys.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #11
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I spend 4-5 months parked on BLM land near Quartzsite, AZ. I don’t like to move my RV so I invested in 2 used plastic barrels and a good hand truck. One of the barrels is outfitted with a dump valve and I use a macerator pump to pump the contents of my black and gray tanks into the barrel which I have lashed to the hand truck. I pull it to the dump station with my car.

The other barrel is for fresh water. In the desert I run all water thru a water softener first then pump it into my fresh water tank using a small 12 volt pump. I've also seen people using water bladders for fresh water. I filter all the fresh water and drink it. And only use my hoses.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our dry camping cadence is typically a week or more, then we move to another day camp location - dropping into a campground for a day or two while moving. There we catch up on laundry, long showers and dump/fill tanks.

We use bottled water for drinking and cooking and pets.

Our onsite limit is usually 7-10 days and set by the grey tank filling. We can go 2-3 weeks on black tank. If we can get rid of grey water and need to add to the fresh water tank we carry two 5 gallon water jugs. No gravity fill on the coach so use a drill powered pump to add through the city water connection.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #13

Quote:

We fill our tank before leaving,, I also carry a 35 and sometimes a 45 gallon plastic food grade barrel in my pick-up. once we are set up if we need water I go wherever I can. As already mentioned, gas stations, county parks, used to fill at forest service stations but with the influx of marijuana growers they stopped letting people fill up at least in Ca. After filling I pull along side our 5th wheel, I have A 12 volt pump that I added an extra long cord to with battery clips. I stick a hose in the fill hole and the other in the barrel and in a few minutes were full. Been doing this for over 20 years.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #14

In this thread it shows the water bladder, pump misc parts if interested.

Transfering water from jugs to tank the easy way

Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water