Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Where to boondock w/40' DP coach near Prescott, AZ?

We are hoping to boondock for about a week near Prescott, AZ, but would be able to go out as far as Camp Verde or Cottonwood. Is there anyone out there who can recommend a place to park our 40' diesel pusher coach that we can get in and out of easily?

I have a Forest Service map of Prescott National Forest that shows all their roads by number, and which ones allow boondocking within 300' of the road. I just don't want to get into a situation where I can't get out with this big rig!

Thanks,

Mel

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Thousand trails road cottonwood
Boondocking Site Review – Thousand Trails Road, Prescott NFS, Cottonwood, AZ – Wheeling It
Prescott forest
Prescott National Forest - Camping & Cabinsispersed Camping

If you need more options, I can call some friends that live in the area. PM me if needed.

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Good Luck,

When I'm home, I live in Prescott. I would like to find a place myself. Hope you do, I'll watch the posts.

The only place I can suggest for a 40' is on top of Mingus Mountain between Prescott and Jerome. You would need to scout it out. There is a campground called Potato Patch I believe and there is a turnoff to a corral just west/south of it. I've seen people boon dock there. There is also an area on the East side of the same highway, (turnoff within a couple of miles, I believe west/south) on what can be a wash board road to a park where hang gliders launch from. Last I knew their Elect was gone and it was free, but I'm not sure now. A friend with a 38' DP goes there.

There is also boon docking S of Williams. The fairgounds between Prescott and Jerome are the cheapest park I know of.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Good Luck,

When I'm home, I live in Prescott. I would like to find a place myself. Hope you do, I'll watch the posts.

The only place I can suggest for a 40' is on top of Mingus Mountain between Prescott and Jerome. You would need to scout it out. There is a campground called Potato Patch I believe and there is a turnoff to a corral just west/south of it. I've seen people boon dock there. There is also an area on the East side of the same highway, (turnoff within a couple of miles, I believe west/south) on what can be a wash board road to a park where hang gliders launch from. Last I knew their Elect was gone and it was free, but I'm not sure now. A friend with a 38' DP goes there.

There is also boon docking S of Williams. The fairgounds between Prescott and Jerome are the cheapest park I know of.
Potato patch is a great place. You can also use forest road 104 and go east just about 1/2 mile. easy in and out. highway 89a. Do not take your rig on this road to Jerome. If you want to go a little farther north on i-17 I have some great spots near Munds Park.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Thanks so much for these responses. A friend emailed me about Thousand Trails Road over on Hwy 260 near Cottonwood. This morning we are going to scout some of the sites closer to Prescott (in our toad, of course!).

We drove - in the car - from Cottonwood to Prescott across 89A through Jerome and found out you would have to be delusional or have a death wish to drive a motorcoach on that route. There is no way! And we took wasboard road to Mingus Mountain to look at it, but don't think I will take the coach down that road. We pick up our new to us 40' Tiffin Allegro Bus on 5-4. Don't want to shake her apart on that road.

But we could drive 89A from Prescott to Potatoe Patch with no problem. May drive the car up there today and take a look. Don't think they open the campground til May 1.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

There are places out Copper Basin Rd also