Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where to winter in AZ? Why?

I'm planning to boondock in AZ this winter and would like advice about where to stay and why that's your preferred site. I can not go into or thru California due to their nasty monkey laws. i don't need hookups and would prefer to be at least 500' from anyone else. Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We like the BLM Imperial Dam LTVA north of Yuma and the La Posa South LTVA just south of Quartzsite for extended periods of time due to the near by services and activities available. For shorter more scenic times we like the BLM areas at AJO and Why. We also like the BLM areas south of Lake Havasu City. For a more remote area we like the BLM area west of Congress and Wickenberg.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
x2 on Johns places we have stayed in all of them in the past 5 years, also there is a nice place, LK Pleasant area, not at the regional park but about 5 miles up the dirt road that goes to Castle Hot Springs there is an old airfield lots of places to stay. Take the road past the regional park not the other loop from Wickenburg (i-74).
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I'm planning to boondock in AZ this winter and would like advice about where to stay and why that's your preferred site. I can not go into or thru California due to their nasty monkey laws. i don't need hookups and would prefer to be at least 500' from anyone else. Thanks
okmunky

I have been told by BLM personnel that any camper can park as near as, (but no nearer than), 16' from another rig, (a BLM rule).
If you boondock on BLM land and someone comes closer than your required 500' you will have to move your rig!

(BTW leave your "nasty monkeys" home, then you can travel in CA without any problems)! ......

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FYI to Mel --

Monkeys, like small children, are as clean as you keep them. Sena wears a diaper when in the house, showers regularly and likes to wash her hands. We full-time so "home" is our RV. I prefer to be far from others because of Lily, the yappy puppy who thinks she needs to protect us from everything by barking. Both furkids are small -- about 8 pounds.

From what I've read about the cost of gas, the lousy roads and closed state parks, Sena isn't the only reason to avoid California.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are not from California you have not earned the right to talk **** about California! The good still out weighs the bad.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
If you are not from California you have not earned the right to talk **** about California! The good still out weighs the bad.
I am from California, and at the present time FAR from it, and will maintain that status with fervor, not because of their laws/rules on monkeys as pets, but because of their Monkey Business surrounding MY personal life.

All IMHO!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
You Sir have earned the right to talk **** about California.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
I was born and raised in Santa Ana, CA, therefore, I'll talk all the **** I want to about that lousy state. Terribly high fuel prices. Far too many regulations in about every imaginable area of life. Spend, spend, spend gov't mentality. And that ridiculous 55 mph towing speed limit. Not much good going on in Cally.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are co-hosts at a BLM campground just south of Why Jct., South of Gila Bend. The area is called "Gunsight Wash". There is 1000 + acres and you can literally be completely alone if you desire. The area is heavily vegetated with many large cactus varities, Ironwood and Mesquite trees and lots of wildlife and birds. Water, propane and dumping facilities are less than two miles away.
This is a 14 day area and free of charge. Campers may return after a two week absence, per national BLM rule. Stop down and check us out.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Alleyman! That sounds perfect for us. I'll check it out. Are there any long term areas near there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Alleyman,

I'm having trouble finding Gunsight Wash. Can you post a link, please?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
don't think there is a web site or listing for Gunsight Wash. Check your atlas and find "Why Jct", south of town of Ajo on hiway 85. This is same hiway that goes to Puerto Penasco Mexico. Gunsight is 1.5 miles south O Why, at mile marker 55 on West side of road. Look us up if you come down. Only long term area is around Yuma, but other two week areas in vicinity. Nice country with lots of great hiking trails, as Organ Pipe Nat'l park is just 15 miles south. they also have a nice campground. good luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We will be going back to Scadan Wash in Quartz site ( walking distance to the town) and then was thinking of the BLM spot just north of the airport at Lake Havasu.

I thought I was the only one that avoided California. I don't like the extra rules and regulations and high fuel prices.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote