Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Where's the water

I have looked around on the forum cant find an answer. I f your a full time boondocker and you need to go in for water, where do you go?

missnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Reading my post I dont think I was specific. Do most pull into a rv camp for a night of dump and fill? Or if you only need water do truck stops offer or do you find a park and pay a fee

missnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
If you have a hose and ask most any gas station and quick shops will let you use there spigot .
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Usually try to hit a campground often enough to dump tanks, fill tanks, hit the showers, laundry, etc.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
I rarely stop long enough to run out of water, I can carry at least a weeks supply easily.

Most towns that operate a sewage system offer (usually free) dumping and fresh water to travellers.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
It's not as hard as it sounds, When we started fulltiming that was way up on the worry list. The number One thing we learned the hard way was Don't Drink the local water, Bottled water is cheep and everywhere. Regular water is just fine for showers, boiled for dish washing, ect. Many truck stops have dump stations and water along with many rest stops, already mentioned city public works, all the above allow trash disposal as well. In most small towns near boondocking areas there is usually a mom and pop store that will have a water outlet and dumpster available to get your business. The public works departments we have used in the past generally have a small charge for use and some smaller RV parks have a deal to dump and fill also for a small fee. You will start out a Rookie and be a pro in no time at all. It is area specific, the more boondocking friendly the area the more options available. Hope this helps..
Richard "PONY", Virginia & Cleo "Cleopatra" the Cat..Restored 1988 Gulfstream HiRise 32' HiPo 460, 1974 Harley 74. Fulltimers since 2005.
Jpony56hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #7
I suggest carrying extra hose for reach and on occasion one of these Camco Water Bandit - Walmart.com can come in handy.
Paul, Roxanne, Charlie, and Fritz the Siamese Cat.

Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by missnout View Post
If your a full time boondocker and you need to go in for water, where do you go?
Howdy and welcome missnout!

I have learned a couple things since becoming a full-timer. One is that no matter where you go people eat food, drink (water), and produce trash. This means that food, water, and trash disposal are always available. Obviously, an emergency situation might change things.

I originally started RV'ing by packing my rig with a months worth of food. Now I know this is not necessary, I carry far less. I do try to keep my water tank near full though. I typically boondock for several weeks at a time. After a long stint, one night in an RV park is an easy place to empty/fill tanks, dispose of trash, do laundry (onboard), and take a LLOOOONNNGGG HHOOOOTTTT shower. Many places that have an RV dump also have potable water. The only negative that I've found are the places that have the fuel, dump, and potable water all on one island. Doing all three of these things can take some time (especially filling water) and really causes movement in these lanes to slow. If you find yourself waiting in one of those lanes, best to shut your engine down. As noted by others, there are many possibilities if you are more adventurous - city parks and such.

Do test the potable water before filling though. The 'test' is whatever makes you happy. Typically some in a jar will tell you a lot (dirty, rusty, smelly???).
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most campgrounds will have at least ONE winterized faucet/hydrant
Also dump stations may still work in winter

Of course where I park in the winter that's not a problem so much.

Even if you are boondocking in places where it's far to the next hydrant you can get a bladder or bag for your run-about vehicle, this goes in the bed/trunk/roof and holds between 30 and 100 gallons of water depending on the model, then either gravity flows or pumps into your fresh tank.

Getting rid of it is another matter though.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I saw someone fill their fresh water tank using the same hose that everyone else has used to rinse their black water. Operator of the vehicle shoved the hose about a foot into the FW inlet and went to sit in his pickup waiting for it to fill, then sat in there for about two minutes while water shot out of the inlet after the tank was full.

I am glad I don't have to live with that guy or drink the water from his tank.
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Ok...I cheat by boondocking close to the place I grew up. I bought 7 water containers from Wal-Mart. 4 - 7 gallon square blue containers and 3 - 6 gallon Green taller slender containers. This is important because the different shapes allow for better storage.

My sources of water are:

1. Spring #1 - pipe coming out of a mountain.

2. Spring #2 - pipe coming out of a mountain.

3. Spring #3 - pipe coming out of the mountain.

4. Friends #1 - chlorinated city water.

5. Friends #2 - chlorinated city water.

6. City Park picnic area water spigot.

7. Local Cemetary. One of three had a water facet.

8. Local State Park pay to dump and fill with water.

The only place I take the trailer is to dump at a local state park.

* when using the state park I fill both the trailer fresh water tank as well as all my containers.

** All other times I am only filling about 1/2 my containers.

Never asked at a gas station or quick stop yet. (May need to add it to my water sources).

The Spring water always has a little bit of bleach added to it.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote