Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #15

I have had the Honda 2000 now for 4 years. I am sure it has over 4000 hours on it. I use it at home, and boondock probably 4-6 months a year.

We run it about 10 to 12 hours a day. Use 1 gallon of gas for that time. It runs on economy mode most of the time.

My father-in-law saw it in action a week ago, and was impressed we could talk to each other standing right over it.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #16

if you're going to boondock next to me, please leave the genset at home. spend your money on solar. Its quiet, it doesn't vibrate, and it doesn't require any set up. And if done correctly you can run anything you want. we have boondocked 52 days consecutive. ran the microwave,internet sat,color TV, vaccum.even the crockpot. seemless operation.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #17

If you are on a low budget, get a cheap generator and do this mod to make it quieter than a Honda:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gensetquiet.htm

If you can't weld, find someone who can. I doubt they'd charge much to do it. its a pretty easy weld. The rest is easy.

It doesn't look pretty but it gets the job done for much less than the cost of a Honda.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #18

Posted October 24, 2007 11:49 PM Hide Post
If you are on a low budget, get a cheap generator and do this mod to make it quieter than a Honda:

now this realy looks intresting
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WaveMaker:
Ok,

i would like to ask everybody that has a honda generator, has anything came loose or fell apart just from running,
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I got some dust on my Honda once, didn't shake or vibrate enough I guess, to knock the dust off. 7 Years with an EU3000i, still hummin along nice and quiet. It's been put to bed for the winter, wake up time, May 08.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #20

What about a
Yamaha Inverter Generator EF2400iS
TYPE BRUSHLESS INVERTER MAXIMUM AC OUTPUT 2400 watts RATED AC OUTPUT 2000 watts RATED / MAXIMUM AC CURRENT 16.7 / 20 amps @ 120V VOLTAGE STABILITY +/- 1% 12 VOLT DC OUTPUT +/- 0.1HZ

ENGINE YAMAHA OHV AIR COOLED 4 STROKE SINGLE CYLINDER DISPLACEMENT / HP 171cc / 5.5 hp G E N E R A L OVERALL LENGTH 20.7" OVERALL WIDTH 16.5" OVERALL HEIGHT 18.1" DRY WEIGHT 70 lbs. FUEL TANK CAPACITY 1.6 gallons CONTINUOUS OPERATION AT 1/2 RATED LOAD Over 8.5 hours NOISE LEVEL 53dBA / 58dBA
Old 12-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cubey:

If you can't weld, find someone who can. I doubt they'd charge much to do it. its a pretty easy weld. The rest is easy.

It doesn't look pretty but it gets the job done for much less than the cost of a Honda. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>While that mod does drastically cut down on its noise, it is NOT as quiet as a Honda. It might be undecernable from inside the house but remember that gen is running inside another building separated from the house by two walls, what appears to be several feet of yard and a door. It will be MUCH more noticeable when cranked up next to you at a campground. Unless you plan on boondocking well away from other people (or in a noisy environment such as Glamis) your courtesy of using a quiet Honda/Yamaha/etc will be greatly appreciated by all.

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Steve_in_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #22

Using a dual-Honda 2000 set-up gives both flexibility for use and ease of movement. A single 2000 is easily moved by almost any one and the duals give you the option to bring both, one or none depending on your needs. They also allow you to use them in two places at once if needed, for example one for the camper and the other for the house during a power outage.

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Steve_in_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #23

Walmart now has a 1000/1200 watt peak generator with a 4 stoke engine for $183. You can only buy it online. They will ship it directly to you or to a Walmart store for you to pick up (free). At 67 db it is much quieter than my 7KW Onan and far more fuel efficient. It paid for itself in about 10 days in gas savings and has taken the strain off my solar charged batteries in these short daylight hour days. That will undoubtedly lead to longer battery life.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6487123
Old 07-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kiscoirish:
We are starting to dry camp with a 32ft 5th wheel and have decided to purchase a generator. Would like to hear from folks with suggestions. With which manufacture/model generator are you satisfied or dissatisfied? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The chinese generators with the Wenling Zhengjiang engines are very quiet(such as UST and others.)
I run two of them full time. I have had very little trouble with them. One thing that helps, is that I use synthetic oil in these since new.

The trick to using generators is tor have two(a big one that will run everything) and a "put put" (small one) for night. this really saves fuel. also the little 1500 I have is far quieter.

I don't use AC in my rig. I use a old fashioned reverseable window fan.

And while the generator is running, use it to charge a bank of batteries.

For those of you who have land, and can stay for extended times, I would strongly recommend a 650 RPM lister diesel(listeroid). These will run for 72 hours on 5 gallons of fuel, and are very quiet.
they will run on bio diesel, and even cooking oil!

There are two downsides to the lister, they are heavy (around 1000 LBS) And they require a cooling system.

I have a lister at my cabin that has been running for 12 years with very little trouble.
and it's very quiet. I have worn out several generator heads, but that old lister keeps running.

Andrew Taylor
Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I had an Onan propane generator in my 5th wheel and absolutely loved it. It was quieter than a gas generator and ran a lot longer on less propane than on gas.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #26

The Honda and Yamaha inverter series are very quiet and efficient-and pricy. After doing months of part-time research, I bought a Boliy PRO3600si genset. After you read the specs and discover they are virtually the same as Honda 2000 specs, then the price - $1,099 including freight, you may also choose Boliy. I'm really happy with mine, and at 80# full of gas and oil, I can lift it into my truck easily.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #27

I've got a Honda eu2000i that I converted to propane. I got the kit at http://www.propane-generators.com

Ran it for 6 1/2 days after hurricane Frances. A good little gen set. Borrowed a friends and ran them in tandem on 4th of July weekend, camping on the Suwannee river on private property.

'72 31' Airstream SLY
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pick:
I've got a Honda eu2000i that I converted to propane. I got the kit at http://www.propane-generators.com

Ran it for 6 1/2 days after hurricane Frances. A good little gen set. Borrowed a friends and ran them in tandem on 4th of July weekend, camping on the Suwannee river on private property. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just currious, what's the fuel consumption like on your 2000 running on propane? Also did you set yours up for dual fuel, or just propane? And if you don't mind me asking what did the kit cost you?

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote