Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #1

We are starting to dry camp with a 32ft 5th wheel and have decided to purchase a generator. Would like to hear from folks with suggestions. With which manufacture/model generator are you satisfied or dissatisfied?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #2

We are starting to dry camp with a 32ft 5th wheel and have decided to purchase a generator. Would like to hear from folks with suggestions. With which manufacture/model generator are you satisfied or dissatisfied?

Old 09-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #3

We boondock in Key West along with alot of others and the generator of choice there is the Honda. Some have a single 2000, some two linked together and some a 3000. We spent last winter using the coach generator and at the end of the season bought two of the 2000s that we will link. They are quiet and easy to lift. We tried lifting the 3000 and felt while the two of us could lift it we were taxed and probably in a few years we would really be straining.

Other than that we really haven't been in a place to use them so have no idea just what all we can use. Our coach is 50 amp. We are hoping for both air conditioner compressors and the satellite/TV. You know all the important stuff. We're told they'll do that fine.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others run.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
All depends on your budget. You can spend the big bucks for the Inverter Generators, (pretty close to a $1000 per 2000watt Genny), or you can spend less bucks ($300) for the 4000 watt Champion Generator. It is a tad heavier, but you can get a wheel kit for it.

Honda's are quieter, so long as they're idling without a load. The moment you switch on a high wattage device, like an A/C, Microwave, etc... the unit will drop out of Economode and will become a great deal louder, closer to a cheaper generator soundwise.

Hondas also provide cleaner power as they use an inverter based system, vs a standard rotory spun coil system.

If you plan to run alot of very sensitive electronics, Full-Size Computers, TVs, anything that Doesn't have a little box on the cord that changed the incoming power to some form of low voltage DC, you're better off with the honda.

In all other cases, a less expensive generator will do the job.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=...0&CategoryCode=3483C

I run the smaller, 1500watt Peak Generator by Champion to run my 5000btu A/C and Battery Charger.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I have a portable Generac 4000 XL that I toss in the bed of the truck when I anticipate boondocking or a a CG without power. I chose it because it has a 30 Amp locking outlet. Some generators have only multiple 20 amp outlets which won't allow full load on a single cable.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
paz

If you're going to boondock next to me, please buy a Honda. IMO, contractor generators are way too loud. I know, I had one when we had a TT a few years back and I was embarrassed to run it because of the noise. One time, the 5th wheel next to us had a Honda 3000 and we could hardly hear it 50' away.

Also, if you are going to operate a microwave, you will need clean power because of the electronics in the microwave. Less expensive generators are usually not recommended for microwaves and other sensitive electronic equipment.

Last January in Quartzsite, we saw almost nothing but Hondas among the RVs that didn't have on-board generators. Be aware the Hondas were also the number one theft item in Quartzsite last year. What ever generator you buy and wherever you boondock, be sure to secure your generator when leaving camp.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savannah:
We boondock in Key West along with alot of others and the generator of choice there is the Honda. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where exactly do you boondock in KW???

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #8

Tom, overflow on Sigsbee in the military campground.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #9

The Honda EU2000 if you just want to run the microwave, coffee maker, other small appliances, and charge the batteries. (The 2000 is extremely quiet when it is just idling).

The Honda 3000 is as quiet as the 2000 (on idle) but will run an AC unit (at high rpm, but still fairly quiet) or almost anything else. I kept mine in the bed of the truck and ran the cord from the fifth wheel up to it. (The 3000 is a little heavy for one person to move around but it can be done).

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #10

Ok,

i would like to ask everybody that has a honda generator, has anything came loose or fell apart just from running, ive had a coleman 1850 and it works good but over the weekend ive had some problems with it... id say there was 10-12 screws that had all came loose 3 of them werent even anywhere to be found they were from the carberator... needless to say i needed to get to a parts store to get the generator fixed, i did fix it but it was hard to get the right size of screws everybody has to build there own size of screws nobody can make the same size of screws

the coleman is 4-5 years old so i cant realy complain
but id like to know if the hondas do the same thing...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kiscoirish:
We are starting to dry camp with a 32ft 5th wheel and have decided to purchase a generator. Would like to hear from folks with suggestions. With which manufacture/model generator are you satisfied or dissatisfied? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I did not have a motor home with a built in generator I would seriously consider the Onan Juice Box.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/products/hitch
Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #12

Wavemaker,

I have been using the EU2000 for quite awhile and have had no maintenance issues at all.

The 3000 has been operating without issue for three years now.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even though I have a MH now, I still run two EU2000s in parallel and will say it has been a great set up. I have the external gas tank as well and can run all night and most of the morning. We had to do this with our TT, but now I use this setup for my night time electricity because when the air kicks off, the EU's drop to an idle which is very quiet. When the air kicks on the Eu's crank up, but not nearly as loud as my Onan 4000 in the coach. When I don't need the A/C I can run just one. We have used this set up for nearly two years now and could not be more impressed. Change the oil every 50 hours and they will not let you down.

'04 HR Admiral SE 30' PDD P32 WCC
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kiscoirish:
We are starting to dry camp with a 32ft 5th wheel and have decided to purchase a generator. Would like to hear from folks with suggestions. With which manufacture/model generator are you satisfied or dissatisfied? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had all three Honda generators. 1k, 2k and 3k. All are very quiet. So quiet, you could barely hear them at your neighbors site.

The first was an EU3000is. It was my favorite. It would run the air conditioning (nothing else and fridge had to be on propane). Also, anything else in the trailer. Problem with this one is when I needed to move it, I had to entice the co-pilot to give me a hand and she wasn't nearly as available as I thought she would be, so I would end up moving it myself and straining my back.

The second was an EU1000. It was very quiet, but wouldn't run the microwave. Also, couldn't run my 120 A battery charger unless it was set for 5A. I purchased this one for our boat when we had it. It was basically a generator for running televisions, lights and low wattage hair dryers/toasters/coffee makers. Pretty useless for my application.

The third and last was and Eu2000. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best for our needs. It charged the battery bank @ 120 A through my charger ( 3 X 255 AHR AGM 8D ). Will run all appliances except for air conditioning. Quiet, small and very economical. Easy to lock to the trailer or conceal in you truck/camper.

We since have moved up to a motor home with a built in generator. I ended up selling all three for more than I paid for them. They truly hold their value if kept in great shape.

So, my recommendation, if you don't need air conditioning would be 1 Honda Eu 2000is. You should be able to find one on line, if you shop around, for about $875 to $915. I purchased the 2k from an on line retailer from Texas.

Hope this helps
PhantomIz