Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #15

Of course, erecting a wind generator to test the viability of a site is kind of putting the cart before the horse---it is more practical to use an anemometer that records the velocity every n seconds, then later run that data through a cubing alogorithm to calculate the potential power.

Obviously, a simple bike computer can't do that. However, I'm toying with the idea of inserting a frequency cubing circuit between the anemometer and the bike computer. It would cube the actual speed. Some scaling would have to be performed, as bike computers only deal with speeds between 1 and 200 mph. So I'm thinking if I divide the cube of the speed by 1024 and output that, I can accurately gauge power with real speeds between 10 and 60 mph.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #16

Did you get a chance to look at www.windynation.com? They have a new system that I just looked at and I wish I'd waited to build mine since the cost of it is less than I spent to home-brew one.

PS - I have no connection to the company other then as a customer.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Noise is a factor that needs to be considered. The noise you make yourself, whether it's a gas generator, wind generator or a power saw is not a problem to you, to others it is annoying and irritating. Wind generators are annoying because they keep going on and on. At least generators and power saws shut off after a while. There are many marinas and anchorages where wind generators are banned and cannot be used because of the noise. We do spend time at Imperial Dam and I have often thought that I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near somebody that had one.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #18

Stillwater, I agree. At any of the sunny LTVAs, solar is not only much quieter, but more productive.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #19

I've had my wind generator up here at home and it was silent. Made no noise no matter the wind speed. I have heard other generators that did make noise but they did not seem to be properly mounted or stayed. Also, I do not believe that solar alone, is enough. I think a combination of the two, wind and solar, is the best way to go.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #20

For all who added wisdom to this thread - thanks! Also, look at:

www.youtube.com/watch?V=cwHKV7iPf44&feature=related.

Great Utube of output of a wind generator mounted on a truck so mph can equate amps.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #21

Either you use a large amount of power or your solar system is not all it can be. See my post under " Boondocking". Solar That Really Works. Maby you need an upgrade to your solar system like I did.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote