Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Winter Camping Suggestions??

Greetings:

We are moving to Colorado and camp in a 23 foot class C. We have two house batteries and a generator. We also have a portable propane heater for use when we are not sleeping. Being from Texas we have not had too many opportunities to boondock in the really cold weather.

My rig does not have tank heaters and the fresh water tank is inside the coach under the dinette. We hope to use the coach for 2-3 nights even in the winters of Colorado off the grid. I need to learn how to maintain my water lines etc. Do I drain them and blow them out after each trip, etc?? What about grey and black tanks, what do you cold weather campers do there?

Thanks for any tips you might have.

Dave

Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

Better get some tank heaters for your grey and black tanks.

Here is one good source.

http://www.annodindustries.com/shop/tank-heaters

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405715150.592852.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	68307

Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you use these to prepare the contents for dumping or to constantly run and keep thawed? Can you add antifreeze to the tanks instead?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Do you use these to prepare the contents for dumping or to constantly run and keep thawed? Can you add antifreeze to the tanks instead?

You can use antifreeze in the tanks, however you need to keep adding more antifreeze as waste water is added, to prevent the antifreeze from becoming too diluted.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will add the heating pads just to be sure. I guess the 12volt version will be fine as they will work with or without shore power.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #6

Winter Camping Suggestions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
I will add the heating pads just to be sure. I guess the 12volt version will be fine as they will work with or without shore power.

The 110v versions can be used when running on generator power too. I suspect with only 2 batteries you are going to need your generator to run much of the day and night to get through those really cold winter nights while boondocking.

Remember if it's snowing or going to snow, you don't want your slides out, or you may find it really difficult to clear the snow and bring them back in. A lot of heat is lost while the slides are out vs in also.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Supplying heat to the basement just using battery power is not going to work, especially if there is wind blowing in and around any tanks and pipes.
If you can run the propane furnace and provided it has a hot air feed down to the basement where the plumbing is, then you can handle some fairly cold weather - BUT the problem is that just the furnace fan can draw 8 amps so that doesn't give you many hours out of a couple of batteries before you would have to run the generator to recharge them.

You can have your freshwater tank and all the plumbing (including the pump and HWS) fully drained and just rely on bottled water for everything. Still possible to use the grey and black tanks by adding antifreeze (not the automotive type). Then you only need to worry about providing enough heat for personal comfort.

Running an unflued heater inside is a matter for personal risk aversion, but you might consider installing CO detectors in each room and run the heater on low in the living area with maybe a window and vent cracked open a little.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #8

I would not rely on just blowing out the lines either. Use RV antifreeze in the lines and traps after a quick blowout. Don't forget the HW bypass and drain the tank when not in use.

FWIW I think you will find that for short trips several gallons of bottled water will be easier to deal with. If you do a longer trip then it might be worth the effort to de winterize and re winterize the water lines. I'd store gallon jugs in the shower so it was convenient to bucket flush the toilet and use the hand basin. Grab a jug at a time for the kitchen counter. No reason not to re use the jugs by filling them at home before a trip. If you use tank heaters they need to run for a few hours to make sure everything flows to dump. Don't forget to add fresh anti freeze to the traps when shutting down after a trip. Use refelctix under the window blinds and vent pillows in the overhead to significantly cut heat loss. Hang a curtain behind the driving area to manage heat.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent tips, thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #10

One problem with running a propane heater is it does produce a fair bit of water vapour and unless you maintain some ventilation, you will end up with condensation problems. Same goes with cooking - open a vent.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tony really cool pics on your website! You guys are truly global RVers!!

Tags
camping, winter