Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would a camera drone help spot good boondocking spot?

As I watched a neighbor flying his camera drone it suddenly occurred to me that one might be useful for scouting out good spots to boondock in remote areas.

I start out by looking at Goggle satellite maps and then go scouting in the toad. That usually means lots of driving on forest roads and lots of U turns. I know drone range isn't that great, but getting up high should help increase it.

Anyone have experience with one?

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #2

A lot of boon-dockers I know would love to see how a drone will fly with a couple of barrels of 00 buckshot up its backside.

I suspect there's going to be a lot of negative reaction (and dead drones) if those things proliferate.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Depending on how much one wants to invest in such a device, there are the GPS-based drones that can fly quite far, following a pre-programmed route. At 400 feet, fairly silent and the element of surprise, I don't think there'd be much opportunity for one to be taken down all that easily, especially if it's just following a route and passes over areas and not hovering around.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
A lot of boon-dockers I know would love to see how a drone will fly with a couple of barrels of 00 buckshot up its backside.

I suspect there's going to be a lot of negative reaction (and dead drones) if those things proliferate.
And shooting down an aircraft that is described under 18 U.S.C. Section 32 Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities, shooting down a drone aircraft "shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."

After all, once a couple of rounds of buckshot have been plugged forcefully into an aircraft, it pretty much has to come down, and that is riskier than the drone flying in the first place. My hope is that it would land on the head of the shooter with as great a force as it could exert from falling, but that would be pretty difficult to do, dontcha think?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Firefighters Could Take Down Drones Under New Law - Breitbart

Interesting discussion.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You only have about 5 or 6 minutes of flying time.
You would need a fairly expensive set-up, this would be FPV (first person View).
Because the drone would be too far away to control visually.
You would wear a 3D goggles and get a view from the pilots seat.
You probably want a on-screen gps readout so you know where the drone is looking. Seeing from the air, and then finding your way back in the RV could be tricky.

But do-able.

Look on you0tube for FPV copters

Dan
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

I'd be interested to hear how the State of California thinks it can over-ride federal jurisdiction.

I was involved in a very similar type of court case up here some years back, the new 'law' became an old law in about 5 minutes before a judge.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Without spending thouasnds they don't fly more than 10 minuets and the rang on a wifi one is only 150 feet. You can mod a wifi one to use a RC controler but the range is still only about 500 feet. I have one of these.Amazon.com : Parrot AR Drone Quadricopter, 2.0 Edition, Orange/Blue : Hobby Rc Helicopters : MP3 Players & Accessories
And put your gun away, I don't care what you are doing enough to creep on you.

Just a side note this is what I'm trying to get going near me.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

"Drone", oh shoot that sound like the antithesis of "boondocking"! Pls don't fly that "thing" over us!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #10

First off the term drone. What does that mean. to me it is used to describe military air vehicles that are remotely operated by police or military. these small RC helicopters are just the latest toys. Surly none of us wants one to hurt anyone or spoil a quiet wilderness experience like someone running a gen set. You want to talk about noise laws? visually unpleasant laws? Odor laws? 14 day stay national forest or BLM limit abuse?

Now back to the RC copter toys.. I saw no less than 4 flying near a large public fireworks display and one stayed up the entire 30 mins? I am not into this sort of toy but this is the land of the free aint it?
Randy in Sandy, Utah
Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is the land of the free, but when it comes to things that could drop from the sky, there does need to be a reasonable amount of safety regulations. Someone else's freedom should not too easily drop on my head.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The inexpensive quadcopter camera drones I was looking at are very small, less than 12" square and will only fly for about 7 minutes at a time. My plan was to just go up above the tree line briefly and do a slow 360 degree turn so that I could see which direction to head out. These are low tech and don't allow for viewing and flying at the same time.

It's sad that experience has taught some of you to expect my plan was to disrupt other campers or violate anyone's privacy. My folks taught me better than that. I am just trying to find a way to explore the back country a tad bit faster. My toad isn't very good off road unless I drag it.

I've KOed the drone idea. Anyone have any good ideas?
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
The inexpensive quadcopter camera drones I was looking at are very small, less than 12" square and will only fly for about 7 minutes at a time. My plan was to just go up above the tree line briefly and do a slow 360 degree turn so that I could see which direction to head out. These are low tech and don't allow for viewing and flying at the same time.

It's sad that experience has taught some of you to expect my plan was to disrupt other campers or violate anyone's privacy. My folks taught me better than that. I am just trying to find a way to explore the back country a tad bit faster. My toad isn't very good off road unless I drag it.

I've KOed the drone idea. Anyone have any good ideas?
I'd suggest Google Maps using the Satellite view.

It's amazing what you can see and it would be sufficient for what you want to see.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
It's sad that experience has taught some of you to expect my plan was to disrupt other campers or violate anyone's privacy. My folks taught me better than that.
It's the internet. We don't know you or your family. Don't take it personally.

Tags
boondocking, camera