Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Agree! one of the main reasons we started out in our pop-up years ago was to get away from it all. Never had a tv along. Now we have a MH with two tv's. None outside and none will ever be...

Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son related to me he was camping at a beach location with a group where one person had a loud construction type generator. Ran it nearly constantly so his kid could play video games endlessly. Several folks got together and strongly discussed with the generator owner, who ended up digging a hole in the sand and dropped in the generator - making a rather effective muffler...

If it were my kid, the video game would have stayed at home...

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Is that because if others can hear your gennie, it's their fault it makes noise?

If so, ...

Hmmm. Interesting.

I'll admit, I'm a zealot. I covet my quiet enjoyment while camping.
What it means is, I parked in the middle of nowhere so nobody would bother me.

I don't understand anyone parking in a crowd and then crying about their neighbors. Have fun.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
What it means is, I parked in the middle of nowhere so nobody would bother me.

I don't understand anyone parking in a crowd and then crying about their neighbors. Have fun.
Goes to show what you don't know, but it isn't really your fault.

The crowd grew around me. I was parked where my nearest neighbor was about a hundred or so feet away. I suspect after QuartzFest, most will be gone.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #19

. .. 1bigmess. . . We have been campground hosts & I guess you don't understand. . .SPECIAL PEOPLE only have to worry about themselves; not you & not anyone else around them. . .Saw it happen DAILY. . . When we were hosts I informed offenders of the rules within moments of the curfew as a consideration to ALL OTHER CAMPERS; Everyone tried lying ( poor excuses really by these special people ) that they did't know there was a curfew; thought it was later, was it bothering anyone?, etc. . . I am totally with you on that, reason why I have gone solar & also soundproofed my built in Onan ( which I hardly ever use thanks to SOLAR!!! ). .Good luck in your discussions with this uneducated person. . .
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Can we all agree that if one adheres to the quiet hours, they are well within their rights to use their generators?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't believe anyone has a right to use a generator, except in order to preserve life or property.

And bear in mind, I'm the one crying over the loud generator running five feet from my trailer, and running my Honda EU2000 gennie when I want to, but not after nine PM and not before 7AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Can we all agree that if one adheres to the quiet hours, they are well within their rights to use their generators?
No, I can not agree to this. Sitting in a nice peaceful mountain setting, or anywhere else for that matter, I certainly don't want to listen to some stupid loud generator at 2:00 in the afternoon running for hours so some fool can watch his tv or do whatever else they think is necessary. Obviously you feel different about this than many others do.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #23

Setting aside the "use" issue....

Checking the Champion web site... They advertise 68 dB(A) @23 feet on a 3Kw gasser and larger models. Probably not unreasonable and similar to other units...

I suspect that it being located in a PU bed with a cap with the rear window open...it's like being in a drum and amplifying and resonating like hell. A "speaker" if you will..... So...more annoying at greater distance...
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How does Champion test their noise levels? How is that different from how other manufacturers test?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm almost afraid to comment as I am another of those whack jobs that likes to hear nature (and I'm sure something is my fault as a result). I park as far from civilization (and others) as I can get.

I applaud you 1bigmess for having a conversation with this person. I tend to the take the easy option and just move (because I hate conflict).

IMO, ALL generators are annoying (particularly when way out in nature). Construction site generators are the worst, terribly inconsiderate. How and when a generator is used can make them even worse. I'm currently near Lake Havasu, AZ for the winter and had to move a couple weeks ago because of a guy with a Yamaha construction site generator in the back of his truck that ran for the majority of the daylight hours (no need for air conditioning).

TV's and radios outside? PLEASE get a headset when using so the rest of us don't have to listen to it.

Yelling at each other at your campsite when sitting three feet from each other? Please turn the volume down.

I have a fantastic assortment of ear plugs/headsets that I use quite often. These provide silence but that is not what I am looking for. I enjoy the sound of the wind in the trees, the birds, the crickets, etc.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm parked all by myself and NO ONE around and my generator running. Then you come in and park close. When do you start to complain about my generator?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Before I arrive.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Before I arrive.
Ever think about not parking there? Then don't arrive.

Tags
generator