Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #57

What about one of those 900 watt 2 cycle portable generators. The one I have was cheap and is not very loud so one could use it to recharge the batteries.

900 Peak/700 Running Watts, 2 HP (63cc) 2 Cycle Gas Generator EPA/CARB
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:48 AM   #58

I only put a few things out so if there are disrespecting people around me I can move. The only one that would get upset is me, as disrespectful people just don't care. If they have a problem they get no help from me.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:59 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
What about one of those 900 watt 2 cycle portable generators. The one I have was cheap and is not very loud so one could use it to recharge the batteries.

They are rated at 91 db. That's like sitting with a chainsaw on your lap.

Sounds like the kind that you throw in a hole. Then fill the hole !
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #60

All this talk just makes me that much happier that I installed my solar system and do not have to run my generator at all, unless I feel the need to microwave a bag of popcorn for a few minutes.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
We drycamped so close to Highway 10 that the noise from it drowned out any noise we could make. We could run our built-in Onan generator to charge our batteries all we wanted and it couldn't be heard outside ... I know ... I tried to hear it from outside, but the big rigs on 10 won. What guilt-free generator freedom that was!

By the way, the modern Honda inverter generators are not the quietest. We also carry along, and use for battery charging in our Class C ... an ancient but superb Honda EX650 four-stroke suitcase generator for ultra-quiet battery charging due to it's constant 54 dB noise level at all loads.

I find the EU2000i Honda inverter generator's sound level and frequency spectrum very irritating when it revs up past it's idle level.
Compared to I-10? Are you OK?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
DW likes her TV and sat every night late into the night.
How far does one have to travel to get different, interesting TV? The dog and I have been doing so much exploring, I've forgotten that TV is a thing that exists.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post

That was my first gennie. When I live in sticks and bricks out in a rural area. It worked, it stunk a little, it had clean power when I plugged in my amateur radio gear into it. It was loud at full roar, and barely tolerable at thirty feet from the house in the quiet area I lived in.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #64

Ask him to take it out of the truck bed.The truck bed is an amplifier. I believe it channels the sound down the sides and out the tail gate.
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #65

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
Ask him to take it out of the truck bed.The truck bed is an amplifier. I believe it channels the sound down the sides and out the tail gate.
We talked about that. He said it's fine if he can get someone to help him that he isn't married to, but his wife refuses to lend a hand, so it usually just stays in the truck bed. His wife never came out of the trailer that I ever saw.

He left to go back to the Phoenix area. We talked some more as he was getting ready. He's not a bad person, not mean or necessarily dumb or selfish, "I'm just cheap" he said. Bought the trailer from a storage lot that was selling abandoned property, repaired a couple things, Harbor Freight WD hitch and friction anti-sway, and a 4K watt Champion gennie he bought from a garage sale.

He's happy. Can't really fault him too badly if he's happy, but now he knows that others know that thing makes a ruckus.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #66

We have been spending 4-5 days at Q for 3 years now shopping for rocks. We always spend several more days after Q exploring elsewhere in AZ.

For instance, rignt now we're camped about 100 feet from the Harwood House where Tom, Frank, and Billy were taken to die after the shootout at non-OK Corral (the actual shootout was in an alley close by).
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
We talked about that. He said it's fine if he can get someone to help him that he isn't married to, but his wife refuses to lend a hand, so it usually just stays in the truck bed. His wife never came out of the trailer that I ever saw.

He left to go back to the Phoenix area. We talked some more as he was getting ready. He's not a bad person, not mean or necessarily dumb or selfish, "I'm just cheap" he said. Bought the trailer from a storage lot that was selling abandoned property, repaired a couple things, Harbor Freight WD hitch and friction anti-sway, and a 4K watt Champion gennie he bought from a garage sale.

He's happy. Can't really fault him too badly if he's happy, but now he knows that others know that thing makes a ruckus.
Deleted
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, so we have a generator as described... older MOHO(see below) whose generator was removed. We mostly only use it in high temps when traveling to run the A/C. The A/C doesn't run off the battery. Is there any way to make those puppies quieter?
(Hubby is uber economical...I pushed for the quieter Honda's but he went less expensive) It doesn't matter so much when we are boondocking solo, but I hate the shake because it is on a rack attached to the hitch or on the tongue of the trailer we pull. The the tongue part isn't so bad if we unhitch the trailer, but when we don't take the trailer, the rack is bad... anyway to dampen the noise and lessen the vibrator effect when sitting on the toilet and trying to sleep? Sometimes we get together in groups on abandoned airstrips with other powered parachute pilots and wives, and I worry about the noise levels there and making irritated group members.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #69

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
any way to dampen the noise and lessen the vibrator effect when ... trying to sleep? Sometimes we get together in groups on abandoned airstrips with other powered parachute pilots and wives, and I worry about the noise levels there and making irritated group members.
How about just shut it off at night.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
How about just shut it off at night.
In Kansas, it can be in the 90's + at night in August... this is mostly when we do this. We have tried to use a DC fan, but it just isn't big enough and drains the battery pretty fast.

Tags
generator