Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #85

In the 3000, it's Not a Yamaha engine, Yamaha merely buys the same Chinese basic unit, likely with more QC, and adds it's pieces.

An easy way to check quality is look on the label to see how long it is EPA compliant.

I've always felt "If there is a God???, and enough people curse you , your karma may just go bad"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #86

At 8:30 this morning, the people across from us fired up their 5K open frame generator. I was sitting outside, next to my furnace outlet. I couldn't hear my furnace, two feet from my ear, over their generator, more than 50' away. They left the campground. It is now 10:10, their generator is still running, and they are still not here. Now, their running generator wouldn't bother me so much if they were forced to listen to it. But I find it rather rude that they drive away and force me to listen to something they are not willing to.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #87

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahkota View Post
Now, their running generator wouldn't bother me so much if they were forced to listen to it. But I find it rather rude that they drive away and force me to listen to something they are not willing to.
I'm trying to imagine there might be a good reason for them to do that. Some kind of emergency maybe?

Would it be considered rude to just go over and switch it off? Maybe it's how they are charging house batteries.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahkota View Post
At 8:30 this morning, the people across from us fired up their 5K open frame generator. I was sitting outside, next to my furnace outlet. I couldn't hear my furnace, two feet from my ear, over their generator, more than 50' away. They left the campground. It is now 10:10, their generator is still running, and they are still not here. Now, their running generator wouldn't bother me so much if they were forced to listen to it. But I find it rather rude that they drive away and force me to listen to something they are not willing to.

Wow. That's pretty incredible. Obviously they have no consideration for others whatsoever...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #89

This is nothing new in the boating world.

Being right on the boat, owners of that junk don't want to listen to them, any more then the nearby boats. They pour in enough gas for a few hours, crank them up and head to shore.

Marathon FL., City Mooring field has banned all but "Super Quiet" portable generator use, at all times.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #90

They came back at 11:30. The camp host spoke to them at 12:20. They shut it off at 12:30. My ears are still ringing. I checked the reservations here. They will be here 3 more days. I will be here two more days. I would move to the other end of the campground but all the sites are reserved.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

Would it be considered rude to just go over and switch it off? Maybe it's how they are charging house batteries.
My wife did this once to a fellow who came out to the desert to ride dirt bikes with all of us. He ran that thing for hours until we were all going bonkers and then next day when they left on their bikes she walked over and shut it off. Needless to say, we have never gone camping with this person again. Not sure I have said this before but I hate those things.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #92

I would not be switching off someone's generator.

Could ruin his food or worst yet some kind of medicine that needs to be kept cold.

You just don't know.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would not be switching off someone's generator.

Could ruin his food or worst yet some kind of medicine that needs to be kept cold.

You just don't know.
Small toy hauler trailer, 2 healthy young guys since we knew them, no medicine and plenty of beer in ice chest. We would not recommend doing this to someone you do not know.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #94

Just an update:
At 3:30, he turned it on again and left. Returned at 5:30 and turned it off. I guess they went to get dinner.

At 6:30, he turned it on again. The camp host, two sites down from me, had enough by 7 PM. He told him to either move to the other side of his trailer or keep it off. So he moved it. He got it started again around 8:00 (had to get gas) and ran it until 8:30.

For those who want to know, it is a 7500W/9375W open frame champion with a 6 gallon gas tank that idles at 74dB. I'm guessing, when he moved it around the other side of his trailer, he got to hear how annoying it was for the rest of us. The trailer cut our noise level in half but at least doubled his. Which is why it may have run for 1/2 an hour the last time.

We haven't had a chance to talk to him but we are guessing he bought the generator at Camping World recently when he bought the trailer, which is also really new. Some salesman probably sold him a bill of goods... He has one a/c and one battery - there is no way he needs 7500W of power.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #95

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm in a park in Quartzsite, been here since the first of the year. I can hear the neighbor's furnace kick on 24/7 even with all my windows closed, the tv on and my little electric heater going. I would hate to hear what the genie sounds like.
1 of the rules here is no gennies running, I wonder how loud that is???? My patio is maybe 50-75 feet from said noise, I get to pay rent and listen to it all day long so don't feel bad. Buy the way I can hear it now as I am typing this.

Have a great weekend,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I'm in a park in Quartzsite, been here since the first of the year. I can hear the neighbor's furnace kick on 24/7 even with all my windows closed, the tv on and my little electric heater going. I would hate to hear what the genie sounds like.
1 of the rules here is no gennies running, I wonder how loud that is???? My patio is maybe 50-75 feet from said noise, I get to pay rent and listen to it all day long so don't feel bad. Buy the way I can hear it now as I am typing this.

Have a great weekend,
Tim
I do not understand this. You mean you can hear his furnace turn on yet there are no generators allowed in this park? That is a loud furnace! I must be missing something here.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #97

Ford Super Duty Owner
Furnaces and even the basement model heat pumps are quite loud.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #98

someone tells me to turn off my furnace i will introduce them to my Texas hospitality...

Tags
generator