Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unhappy Yes, that generator is loud.

There have been many conversations about generators on IRV2, and almost without fail the opinions of which ones are loud and which ones are more friendly towards neighbors comes up. There is a good, perfectly valid reason this happens.

I bought my generators knowing that when I used them, I wanted to be a good neighbor and if I couldn't have the quietest generator available, it would be as quiet as I could reasonably find, and make something more akin to a purr than a harsh engine sound. My gennie is sitting under the trailer, on Eco mode, purring away while I work the radio and the computer, charge my electronics and trailer batteries.

I have been in a LTVA in Quartzsite since Sunday. There are a lot of different campers here, from mansions on wheels to pop-up trailers being pulled by economy cars (though very few of the latter).

I have a new neighbor that pulled in yesterday. He has a Champion generator. It's not very large, I haven't gone to see what it's output is, but it's not very large, and he has it sitting in the bed of his pickup, with a bed topper shell over it. He has the tailgate and the shell back window open. It's the kind of Champion that has the open perimeter type frame and the engine is pretty much exposed along with every other part of the machine.

And that generator is loud, folks. It sounds like a lawnmower at full speed. That harsh, almost clacking type engine sound of a small engine running with nothing to dampen it in any way. Again, like a cheaper old lawnmower.

It has drowned out the purr of my Honda, and even swamped the sound of the much larger diesel generators that are in the huge MH rigs nearby. The "Antenna Walkabout' group at QuartzFest just went by, and the person talking about the various antennas is using a bullhorn to be heard. That has been the only other thing I have heard since that Champion work site gennie has started.

I try to be a good neighbor. I am opinionated. I know I might sound like I am over exaggerating in my descriptions.

I am speaking very plainly and without flourish. That thing is LOUD. It belongs at a jobsite or to be used in a disaster situation, not recreationally camping, especially in close proximity to other neighbors.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear. I marvel at how some folks can be so inconsiderate...

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will say that a couple of years ago there was an article in our paper about someone in a nearby city who hit his neighbor over the head with a shovel because he kept running his loud generator all day long.
I am not suggesting that this would be a good solution for you.....

Is this a temporary situation? Any chance of running a cord from your genny to your neighbors and letting him shut his down. He might be willing to do that since you would be paying for the fuel...and it would probably be worth it.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't work graveyard. It's annoying, but allowed and not causing me any well-being problems at this point. Violence is not even a consideration, as it is far less effort and expense to move than it is to go to prison.

I'll speak to my neighbor if I can catch him outside of his camper. I'm not at knock on the door level yet.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up

I think I would just move. It's just not worth the aggravation or possible confrontation.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We were just in Quartzite for a few days out at Palmosa road. What I found surprising was that there were two if not three people that ran their generators all night. Even the quietest generators are loud at 3:00 AM. I guess they are special. In past there was a dead silence fell over the desert at 10:00PM.
I know they would have an excuse like they have to run their medical equipment. There are three answers to that, 1) get one that runs on 12 volts 2) get an inverter 3) go park in town
Old 01-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Move over to Scaddan wash, I'm on my second day here and my closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away. A little rough road to get here but nice and quiet.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

We had been staying west of the city off Dome Rock Road. Not too many people when we pulled in and set up our camp at lease a few hundred feet from anyone else. After leveling and putting out slides I stepped out and some clown in a large group way off in the distance had one of those stupid loud construction site generators running in the middle of the day. I wondered how many friends he had by the time everyone left camp. I hate those stupid things and it seems no matter where we end up there is always one running somewhere in the distance. I feel for you, not sure how you can stand it having it so close by. A raw potato shoved deep in the exhaust pipe at night surely works good.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

If you can hear my 4K Onan, you parked too close.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

Same issue at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. Some of the 5th wheel people do not have built in generators and have noisy construction type generators in their truck beds. Makes being close to them unpleasant if they run them all the time.

We have an all electric coach and run our generator maybe two hours a day. Always during the day when boondocking.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I talked to him. His wife wanted hot water, so he heated it up with electricity from the gennie.

Propane is cheaper than gasoline here. Only a couple of moving parts in the propane system of the water heater. Silent. More efficient. Told him that he can quickly get the tank hot with propane and electricity at the same time, then just let the propane cycle to keep it hot.

He said he only camps a couple weeks a year. Just seemed unaware of how things work in his camper and how to do things more efficiently, but was very aware of the noise his gennie makes, a 4K watt Champion open framed unit.

We'll see if he listens to me or his wife. I think I know which one he's more likely to pick.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
If you can hear my 4K Onan, you parked too close.
Is that because if others can hear your gennie, it's their fault it makes noise?

If so, ...

Hmmm. Interesting.

I'll admit, I'm a zealot. I covet my quiet enjoyment while camping.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One more story about inconsiderate generator users. We were at Marsh Lake in the Uinta Mountains, northern Utah. Beautiful spot but no hookups. A big travel trailer had one of the big construction generators about 3-4 sites away from us. They must have known their genny was loud because they had it at the farthest edge of their site, probably 20+ feet. The problem was they put it right next to a family in tents! I am sure the tenters just loved the sound and smell of the generator for the hours and hours their neighbor ran it.

Folks, if you are forced into one of those loud nasty things, at least be considerate of your neighbors. It is only fair that you keep it close enough to your site to have the pain rather than inflicting it on your neighbors.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #14

Agreed! Lots of RVers will disagree with me about this, but I don't like the outside TVs and loud exterior sound systems. I like it dark and quiet. I read "work the radio and the computer" comment in your post and then read on down to confirm that you're a ham. I've read about QuartzFest, never been there. My only comment that is on-topic is my first word, so sorry about that.
K4SRB

Tags
generator