Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #1

Are there any current Active Duty folks living fulltime on their RV in the Norfolk area? I am getting ready to roll to my sea tour and I will be geo-bach thus I am planning on living on my RV fulltime. Looking for good places to stay in the Norfolk area and any other tips. Thanks.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #2

Are there any current Active Duty folks living fulltime on their RV in the Norfolk area? I am getting ready to roll to my sea tour and I will be geo-bach thus I am planning on living on my RV fulltime. Looking for good places to stay in the Norfolk area and any other tips. Thanks.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't understand that Navy talk,but Oceana air station has Ocean Pines RV Park.
http://www.nasoceana.navy.mil/

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #4

Whaler, thanks. Good information and I had forgotten about NAS Oceana.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #5

What ship are you going to Bruce ? Whats your rate and rating ?

I was a Machinist Mate assigned to engine rooms on all my ships except the "Rosie" where I had a dual assignment..

GQ sent me to engine rooms as head throttleman and FQ sent me to flight deck for boiler steam pressure monitor..

I was an east coast sailor 59/67 with several ships. Spent most of my time in Gitmo putting different ships through their commissioning shake downs..

I was a "Plank Owner" on 4 different ships and crewed a couple more...

Rotated to shore duty at Portsmouth mothball fleet. Lived in mobile park in little community of "Drivers Virginia" about ten or so miles from base.

If that place in Drivers is still there, check it out... very rural area.. only one store within ten miles and it was grocery, gas, post office, tire changer machine, and gathering place for farmers... all rolled into one little store..

Keep your "Dixie" squared away,

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #6

John, I am a Commander and I will be going to the staff to be the Deputy N6. Looking at a 2 year tour aboard the TRUMAN. All of my sea time has been Pacific and Persian Gulf so the LANT will be something different.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Boss,

I'm currently "wintering over" at Oceana. Any questions you got, I can answer. Warning! Living here is a lot like (NAVAIR talk): Living on the 01 port side under the angle and EVERY trap is a bolter. The RAG is always up. FA-18 supers in full AB. And the jet test stand is just behind the tree line. If your going to TRUMAN It'll be just like flight ops all the time. I'm only here because Little Creek was full up and Laura (Oceana"s manager) isn't authroized to give refunds. Dam Neck only has 17 spots, waiting list a mile long and Ft. Story is beachfront, old and sandblast heaven. Now after stomping all over them there might be something you'll want to consider. If your interested in a Cheap Membership campgroung only 7 miles from Oceana PM me and I'll give you the skinny. You'll have to move off site one week every five but for about $1500 you get 40+ weeks of full service sites and security.

Standing by,
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #8

Ol'Joe, thanks. Great intel. I haven't been to Oceana in a long time. How far is Oceana from Norfolk Naval Base? Do you know if they have a wait list for Active Duty? I will try to dig their information up and give them a call.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Boss,

It's 26 miles to carrier piers. all of it teeth clenching, lip chewing, want to beat them all to death driving starting around 0530. It clears up about 0815. I know, I do it daily. No real waiting list here. More first come first served. In person or phone. Time limits are generally 60 days on 14 off. Pretty even mix of AD and RET (me). Sites are the old mobile home park off Harpers rd. Being worked on all the time and getting real nice. Gated access with security codes. Nice laundry and bath house. One oddity is sewer connections. Smack in the middle of the parking site. A product of the old mobile home set ups. Bring your mickey mouses and come on in.

Standing by,
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #10

Coastal Campers
CDR,
Ft Monroe is just across the bridge/tunnel from NAS Norfolk.. was camped next to a geo-bat who was doing his "14 off" from Little Creek.

Langley AFB is up off of Big Bethel Rd in Hampton.. many homesteaders there..

Good Luck..

CWO RET (VP Navy)
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #11

Sandman, thanks, I hadn't even thought of Ft Monroe.

2005 Honda Element
Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #12

Bruce,

Bought our 32K in Sept and recently found your blog. Lots of like experiences here and are really enjoying the coach. I live it it full time in Panama City, FL while my wife (Phyllis) shuttles back and forth to the grandkids. Our son (active USCG) lives in Suffolk, VA but don't yet have a feel for campgrounds up there. Son, his wife, and grandkids can't wait for us to have the 32K up there full time. Took it up over Xmas and had a ball. Hope to shift my work to the company office up there sometime this year. Not quite ready to hang up the work clothes. Best wishes to get through the sea tour and separation OK.

Bill Demo
LCDR/USN/Ret
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #13

Bill, glad to hear about your 32K. Ours has been fantastic. I am going to a 2 week course up in NC for some schooling before I head down range and I am taking the RV to live in it as a "test drive" for full-timing in Norfolk. How do you guys like full-timing on yours? Any issues?

2005 Honda Element
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #14

Ft. Monroe will require you to bail for a couple of weeks every six months or so unless I am mistaken. I have a friend who is a full bird in the army and she is living there. I will ask and get more detail for you if you like.
By the way retired OSCS here. All small boys thank god! Retired in 95.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote