Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #99

I was told by a VA counselor that Tinnetus disability could not de denied since there is no test for it. This approval was the result of a law suite against the VA which was won. The disability for Tinnetus is only 10% but it does get you in the door at the VA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #100

Agent Orange Claim

Got denied across the board on all of my claim as of today. This comes after the first denial which was BEFORE the VA doctors had me in for exams. So they (the docs) sent their opinions forward to the Cleveland VA admin bureaucrats. The zombie bureaucrats parroted the same denial as the first one. They have a way around the "presumptive" AO situations (both of my cancers), my compressed upper spine from a helicopter crash (dual engine failure due a B-40 rocket), and last the denial of tinnitus (very common with helicopter pilots and crew).

Their reasoning ... I did not apply for compensation within one year of initially being diagnosed with cancer. Reasoning for denial of the spinal compression ... they can not find any record of a crash. Reasoning for denial of my claim for ringing in the ears ... it is not so severe as to impede hearing normal conversation (so they say, I say differently).

At the moment I have mixed feelings about the "caring" VA. One, I'm pissed off, and two, I'm sorely disheartened with the "them versus us" method of dealing with veterans.

I will let this ride for the winter while on the road seeking warmth in the south. However when we return in the Spring, I'm going to sit down with a DAV rep (hopefully one with the veracity of a pit bull) and put together an appeal.

On another topic: have any of you noticed that the VA bills Medicare and any supplemental insurance that you have for visits for evaluation? I understand that the VA operates similar to an HMO, but those turkeys dunned Medicare and my supplemental for the initial evaluation that I had to get into the VA system. Yes, for sure it is money changing hands from one government pocket to another, but for crying out loud ... charging for a sit-down chat with a paper pushing medic that was required to become established in the "system"? Haven't been charged for my photo ID card, so I guess I should not complain, eh?
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #101

I didn't need to show any proof for tinnitus. Might want to find the ruling on the lawsuit when reapplying.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #102
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moonrover,
So sorry to hear of those problems. I truly wish I could give more guidance, but I'm at a loss. i do believe using one of the service organizations is the way to go. Hope to meet you one day soon.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #103

I was granted a va disability for tinnitus two years ago. I would definatly fight this one!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #104

Moonrover,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've had 10% for "ringing" for about 10 years now. It was no problem to get for me.

I'm no expert on the procedures, but I'm wondering that while you are in the sunshine, you could go to somebody in that area to try a different area to apply or at least try to find a different way to get your foot in the door.

Do you know where your fellow crew members from the crash are living? May they could supply corroboration of the crash for the VA.

Good luck.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post

Do you know where your fellow crew members from the crash are living? May they could supply corroboration of the crash for the VA.

That particular crash, yes. My co-pilot who eventually was assigned to the Pentagon prior to retiring. I do have his e-address current for about twelve years ago. Other crew members, I doubt I could locate. One, had a serious jaw injury as I recall.

A couple of things stick in my brain about this "we can not locate your records" stuff: (1) Does the VA put out much effort to locate anything?, (2) Did the Army post such crash info in personnel files?

I was shot down more than that one time, and I don't recall seeing anything in my file jacket referencing such. My medical records most certainly should have plenty of notes and x-rays, but we already know how the Army seems to make medical records disappear when a soldier changes station.

In my favor however are the notations on one of the four DFCs that were written up generally describing hero stuff during aerial flight, blah, blah, etc.. In my appeal, I will scan and attach a copy of that DFC. There's also a Silver Star for Valor that mentions in the blather, something about my disabled aircraft (also known as a crash !!).

The 1st CAV Division was not keen on paperwork accuracy, and daily story documentation (after action reports). We had our hands full just keeping the aircraft in the air and missions supported, 24/7. I think many of my fellow troops did not bother to race to sick call for every little combat scratch, which could have garnered a Purple Heart. They toughed it out and stuck with their assignments. Unfortunately, now many years later they may be just like me, floundering for verification of combat injuries.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #106
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometimes contacting your representative can produce records that were previously unattainable. The worse you can get for trying that avenue is no worse they you are now in paperwork

Thank you for your service.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #107

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Just received my AO claim/entitlement in the mail this week. My monthly entitlement it says is 10% a month. I was hoping for at least 30% for my ischemic heart problem.
It says I can file a Disagreement letter with more medical information. This is not a Appeal. I don't think that I want to Appeal.
What is your take on this Vietnam Vets???

Stano
By all means reapply with a DAV rep - I submitted a rebuttal and in 90 days went from 40 to 60%. The va hopes you will take the 10% and just fade away - The DAV was so helpful - I waited 20 years after retirement to get help, all because I didn't have any medical records - wish I had known about the DAV years earlier. Good luck and thank you for your service.
46490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #108

Hello my fellow Rv'ers and military brothers and sisters. yes I'm new to the forum but wanted to say a few things some already mentioned by others about getting a rep. you can still be involved in the process just Cc. everything you sent to the VA to your rep. also if you have any contact with your brothers andsisters that you served with have them write a letter for your or a friendyou've gained over the year. and you for Agent Orange you need to be examined by the VA and one of the main thing their looking for is what ICorp area you were based out of in VN. and last of all (for now) use www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv itallows you to communicate with your PC and you can read you mental (VA) recordsfrom appointment and anything that is being decussed about you including securemessaging.

Semper Fi my brothers and sisters of the armed services.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #109

Does anyone know if kidney cancer is on the presumed Agent Orange related list? I guess I'll need to find that list again. Just when I thought the prostate cancer was under control, today I learned that I will need surgery to remove a cancer laden kidney. The urologist has me on a fast track schedule to get it out, because as he put it ... "It is huge". The only reason I visited the urologist was that I've been seeing chunks of blood clot in my urine. Once he saw the CT scan, he insisted that I come back immediately to get pre-op lab work done.

If kidney cancer is on the presumptive list, I will have to revisit the paper battle with the VA once again. My experience with the VA paper grinders in the past was not my favorite ride at the amusement park. They probably had to hire a couple of hundred more bureaucrats to deal with me.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #110

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Very sorry to hear of the diagnosis and best of luck with your treatment. I just checked the list I got from the VA a couple of years ago and it was not on there then, but you need to research it, it may have been added since then.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #111
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So very sorry to hear that Moonrover, very sorry. I'll do some research myself.

A lot of information out there, so much it is hard to differentiate from the good stuff and hype.

I'd suggest calling the DAV Rep and asking them the questions. Also, it does not hurt to file and even if denied it is in the records for any future doings.

Good luck friend.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
So very sorry to hear that Moonrover, very sorry. I'll do some research myself.
X2 Brother. We have you on the list.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote