Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Exclamation Alaska Caravan for 2012?

I am posting this info about the 2012 SMART Alaska/Yukon Caravan. This is a 67 day caravan at a total cost of $5,384.09 for two adults in one coach. The cut-off date for signing up for this caravan is Feb. 1, 2012. SMART stands for Special Military Active Retired Travel Club.

I have posted the costs for the top seven Alaska/Yukon Caravans for 2012 with a cost comparison for each as well as links for further information. The SMART caravan is the longest tour, spends the most days in Alaska, is the cheapest cost overall, and the cheapest cost per day.

The DW and I are already signed up for this caravan, as well as one other RV, as of Dec. 23, 2011. I am posting this info in hopes that others may be interested in joining the 2012 caravan. I think they need a minimum of 10 RVs to sign up or it will get canceled for lack of interest. With only 5 more weeks until the cut-off date for signing up, I am taking it upon myself to put this info out there so that other military/vets/retirees will see the possible value in this great caravan that SMART is making available so that hopefully we will get the minimum 10 RVs to sign up.

I have been to Alaska before (not by RV) and I am looking forward to going again next year. I encourage any of you to take a look at the numbers below if you have ever thought about doing a caravan to Alaska. The camaraderie of fellow Vets would be a great bonus to a great Alaskan trip. Please feel free to forward this info along to other RV owning Vets; especially if you think they might be considering a trip to Alaska.

The costs of these caravans includes all campground fees, several tours, several shows, several meals, and more. You can check out each link to see specific information. I know caravans are not everyone's cup of tea, but if you were ever considering such a trip, maybe this eye opening info will convince you that the 2012 SMART Alaska Caravan is the way to go.

Company / # of Days / Total Cost / Cost per Day
Discovery RV Tours / 34 / $6,973.00 /
$206.00
Good Sam Caravan / 43 / $7,689.00 / $178.81
Fantasy RV Tours / 60 / $9,895.00 / $165.00
Adventure Caravans / 60 / $8,195.00 / $137.00
Camping World Pres. Club / 38 / $5,395.00 / $142.00
Newmar Kountry Klub / 42 / $5,495.00 / $130.00
SMART / 67 / $5,384.09 / $80.56

djpotts50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hey guys honk as you pass through Anchorage, wish I had the time to go with you. Sounds like a great deal and lots of fun.

Alaska is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Lived here for 4 years now. If you get the chance do it you wont be sorry.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

Thank you Dan for posting this information. We are contemplating an Alaska trip in 2012, but forgot about SMART. We only have a month to make up our minds according to the SMART main page, but the wagonmasters pdf says the deadline is 20 Mar. 2012. Which signup date is correct?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Ray;

I think the $260 deposit needs to be paid by Feb. 1st, but it may well be March instead; not sure if the .pdf or the website is the correct date. The wagonmaster and/or the SMART HQ is easy to contact by phone or email and will respond back to you very quickly. I only get my mail forwarded once per month, so I will not be getting my welcome packet until next week.

I sure hope you decide to take this trip; it is by far the best value on any Alaska/Yukon Caravan that is out there. If you have any friends that might be interested, please let them know about this caravan.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
SMART program sounds great. But what about us that got left behind with no benefits or perks?

I was in the 20th SF National Guard in 1967. The Adj general of NC decided to combine us with the regular National Guard, so this is where I served my time for the next five years. Weekend drills, summer camps, activated during the 70's riots and I moved through the ranks from E-1 to E-7 before I was discharged in 1972.

I guess all I got was a number for my time served. No VA, No Perks, NO Military discounts NOTHING but grey hair.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #6

SMART will actually allow anyone to join their caravans. That is actually my biggest gripe with them. They will "reserve" blocks of sites at military campgrounds for their caravans allowing people not eligible to use the facilities. This naturally prevents those truly eligible from using said MWR facility.

Rant over.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Because View Post
SMART program sounds great. But what about us that got left behind with no benefits or perks?

I was in the 20th SF National Guard in 1967. The Adj general of NC decided to combine us with the regular National Guard, so this is where I served my time for the next five years. Weekend drills, summer camps, activated during the 70's riots and I moved through the ranks from E-1 to E-7 before I was discharged in 1972.

I guess all I got was a number for my time served. No VA, No Perks, NO Military discounts NOTHING but grey hair.
But you didn't have to go to Nam. That was why so many joined the NG back then. I have a good memory. I have full military benefits, but then I have many combat service connected disabilities. Only 100% disabled are allowed to use those camp grounds anyway and not many of those have the ability to go camping anymore.
173dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Here is some additional info I have received by email.

The cost of the trip includes 67 nights of camping in campgrounds, 10 Dinner meals, 5 Cruises, 6 tours and 3 shows. Also there is a Jacket for each person, 1 Mile post per RV and 1 tour saver coupon book. We also have a number of potluck meals planned to help save on meal costs and add to camaraderie. The entire trip consists of 6,238 miles of driving so you can budget accordingly for the amount of fuel that will be needed. Most driving days are between 100 to 300 miles with 200 miles as the average day of driving.

I hope you find the additional info as interesting as I do. This is quite a trip at the best possible cost that they can offer. As of today, the website has now been updated showing that 3 RVs are now signed up.

My estimates on my RV fuel costs:

My coach averages about 8.00 miles per gallon on flat roads but I am going to estimate 7.00 miles per gallon for a total of 891 gallons of diesel fuel because of numerous mountain ranges. I am going to use $5.00 per gallon as my estimate on diesel costs minus the 150 gallons that will already be in the tank when we leave MT. Looks like about 741 gallons will be needed to buy in AK/YT at a cost of $3,410.00 in diesel fuel as a very rough estimate. Since this is a 67 day caravan, I can spread that cost out over the 2 month 1 week trip. Does anyone see any glaring problems with this diesel fuel cost estimate or anything I am obviously overlooking? Math never was my best subject and I have no idea on diesel costs along the route.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpotts50 View Post
Here is some additional info I have received by email.

My estimates on my RV fuel costs:

My coach averages about 8.00 miles per gallon on flat roads but I am going to estimate 7.00 miles per gallon for a total of 891 gallons of diesel fuel because of numerous mountain ranges. I am going to use $5.00 per gallon as my estimate on diesel costs minus the 150 gallons that will already be in the tank when we leave MT. Looks like about 741 gallons will be needed to buy in AK/YT at a cost of $3,410.00 in diesel fuel as a very rough estimate. Since this is a 67 day caravan, I can spread that cost out over the 2 month 1 week trip. Does anyone see any glaring problems with this diesel fuel cost estimate or anything I am obviously overlooking? Math never was my best subject and I have no idea on diesel costs along the route.
On flat ground I average 8.3 mpg so pretty close to you.

On my last trip (Oct 2011) down the ALCAN fuel ran $1.10 to $1.34 per liter ($4.16 to $5.07 per gallon) in Canada and $4.80 per gallon in AK on average. Propane in Canada averaged $1.32 per liter. Once we crossed in to the lower 48 Diesel averaged $3.75 per gallon. I have seen fuel on the ALCAN as low as $0.88 per liter ($3.31 per gallon) during the off season.

Drove 4387 miles from the condo in Anchorage to the house in Ohio spent $2831.00 on fuel, roughly $0.65 per mile. This takes into account for 6 mpg days driving through the mountains and 50 mph head winds. Don't underestimate the effect of head winds through the plains if you are traveling that way.

In 11 days we spent:
Fuel: $2831.00
CGs: $345.94
Food: $411.50 mostly groceries but a couple restaurants as well
Don't forget to factor in your credit card company's exchange rate/service fee if you use your credit card for fuel, etc... while in Canada, this increases your costs a bit.

Honk and wave as you pass through Anchorage. Sure envy you guys this trip. I love AK but think this is my last year here.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #10

We plan to sign on the tour the last week of January. We originally planned to sign with Alaska Discovery Tours, but with our medical issues we need a more relaxed trip. I received the travel itinerary from Roger, your information helps a lot. Keep us posted please.
Until then I'm making sure any suspect part on the truck and 5er are replaced or repaired. New tires on everything, two 5er spares, etc. If the tour is cancelled for lack of interest, at least we will be prepared to wing it ourselves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Ray,IN - glad to hear you will be joining the trip. I am confident they will get to the minimum number of coaches needed. I think they want either 8 or 10 RVs at a minimum. Make sure you let any of your military friends know about the trip and the costs; I think the program sells itself when people know about it. SMART just doesn't advertise their tours like Alaska Discovery Tours and others so it is up to us to get the word out.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
The 2012 issue of North to Alaska is now online. This is a great free online travel planner for anyone thinking about traveling to Alaska in an RV. You can also order a free North to Alaska book and Milepost map to be mailed to you.

I hope others decide to join the 2012 SMART Alaska Caravan. It is the least expensive, longest total days consisting of 67 days, and the most days spent in AK out of all Alaska Caravans that I know of. Even if you are not interested and know of any other military/veteran/retired military that might be interested; please forward them the link to this information.

They now have 4 signed up, I hope to see you there!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173dave

But you didn't have to go to Nam. That was why so many joined the NG back then. I have a good memory. I have full military benefits, but then I have many combat service connected disabilities. Only 100% disabled are allowed to use those camp grounds anyway and not many of those have the ability to go camping anymore.
Not to be critical but you are wrong sir. Anyone retaining DOD or Military benefits (ID Card) can use these and any other MWR facility world wide. Having a disability rating has nothing to do with it unless your rating is such that you are issued an ID card. I know a lot of vets with a disability rating that allows them to receive certain VA benefits but cannot use the other post facilities.
derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by derald1961

Not to be critical but you are wrong sir. Anyone retaining DOD or Military benefits (ID Card) can use these and any other MWR facility world wide. Having a disability rating has nothing to do with it unless your rating is such that you are issued an ID card. I know a lot of vets with a disability rating that allows them to receive certain VA benefits but cannot use the other post facilities.

To wit :

Active Duty, Dependants, retiree's and

Honorably discharged veterans with 100 percent Service-connected disability. ID is DD Form 1173 or DD Form 2765
Involuntarily separated service members under the Transition Assistance Management Program ID is DD Form 2

Personnel separated under the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) and Special Separation Benefit (SSB) programs for two years after separation ID is DD Form 2
derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote