RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #113

Thank you to my brothers and sisters. Veitnam was technically a long time ago but many of us are still there quite often. Especially at night. I was Navy and caught the tail end. My first deployment got me over there early 1973. Caught 3 combat actions on second deployment, all in 1975. I didn't see what the guys (and gals) in country did but I still saw enough during operations "Eagle Pull", "Frequent Wind", and the Mayaguez Incident (saw 8 Marines buy it ). Still haunts me from time to time. Anyway I appreciate anyone who put on the uniform and were to willing to "stand to the line" if needed whether they actually did or not.

Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #114

Vietnam Era vet

I was stationed at the Army hospital in Okinawa during Vietnam, I never went in-country. Personally I would never wear a Vietnam Vet hat or use that as a bumper sticker. If people ask I say I served during Vietnam. I eventually got out, got my degree, returned as a commissioned officer and ended up serving a tour in Iraq. I call myself an Iraqi Freedom Vet but not an Iraqi Combat Vet because I worked at a hospital, never went outside the wire. We did suffer many, many mortar and rocket attacks but even having that happen I really can't consider myself a "combat" veteran (in my mind anyway). I did get imminent danger pay, combat pay and Iraqi Freedom service medal. It does make me sick when I see folks claiming veteran status who never served or any other misrepresentation. I once had a patient who used to wear a camo hat with a Major rank on it but in his medical records I could see he was a retired E-6... Again, not sure how people live with themselves under such circumstances.

ptoptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #115

I was standing at the service counter of the REV Group Service Center in Decatur, IN talking to the counter person two years ago. A man about my age walked up next to me, noticed I was wearing a USS Midway ball cap and started a conversation starting with him saying he had been a member of Fighter Squadron 151. I responded by saying that I had been a member of VF-151 for almost 3 years. The look on his face and his body language changed immediately from confident to uncomfortable. He didn't look at all familiar so I asked him when he was in the squadron. He said he was the "such and such" officer but didn't tell me when.
The job title was obviously made up on the fly because it made no sense at all and I have forgotten the made up title. I was a member of four different fighter squadrons over 10 years and none of them had a "such and such" officer.
I was caught off guard and at a loss for words. I just turned away from him and resumed my conversation with the lady behind the counter. He immediately remembered having left something in his coach and I never saw him again. Probably a good thing for both of us.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #116

Anyone else here have the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service in VN?

"This medal was established on Dec. 4, 1961, to be awarded to members of the United States armed forces who, after July 1, 1958, have participated in a United States military operation and encountered foreign armed opposition, or were in danger of hostile action by foreign armed forces".
There were many of us who there before 1964.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #117

As far as im concerned... If you served your a vet in my book and I appreciate all that you have done including those who paid the ultimate price, and especially those who returned but have been struggling ever sense. Some of you have easy jobs others not but nothing would get done without the collective group making it happen.

Thank you all.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I am a Vietnam Veteran.......
US NAVY on the 'gun line' lobbing 5" shells inland
Combat Duty Station....combat pay and FREE US Mail

Office of Personnel Management

.§ 307.101 Definitions.
(1) Veteran of the Vietnam era means an eligible veteran any part of whose active military, naval, or air service was during the Vietnam era

Also defined as:
Served active duty for a period of more than 180 days, any part of which occurred between August 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975, and was discharged or released with other than a dishonorable discharge.

This is correct.... I asked for my free vehicle plates from GA after providing my DD-214"s and was given a Vietnam Veteran plate even though I never stepped foot in country. (Enlisted 9/10/74)
OldNavyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #119

Veitnam Service Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.Wieters View Post
The Vietnam Service Medal was awarded to all members of the United States Armed Forces serving in Vietnam and its contiguous waters or airspace thereover, after 3 July 1965 through 28 March 1973. Members of the United States Armed Forces in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, or airspace thereover, during the same period and serving in direct support of operations in Vietnam are also eligible for the award. Requirements.

IMHO - If you were serving in the military during the war, but did not meet definition above and did not receive Vietnam Service Ribbon, then you were a Vietnam Era Vet, but not a Vietnam Vet specifically and really should not wear the hat that more often than not displays the ribbons earned for Vietnam related service or combat related operations..

My Father served during Vietnam but was stationed in Korea at the time and Okinawa. He is definitely and Vietnam Era Vet, but a few years ago in his old age started wearing a Vietnam Vet hat that had the ribbons on it. As a vet myself I was taken back a bit by this and mentioned it to him. He took offense to my challenge, but honestly I took offense to him wearing something he didn't really earn the right to wear. I left it alone but feel strongly that no one should take something away from those that earned it. Your DD214 will list all earned medals and ribbons to include Korea service, Vietnam Service, Gulf War, Iraq/Afganistan…. If you earned it, wear it proudly, if not then just be prod to be a Vet since you are still an overall small % of the population.
Just an update. The VSM was also awarded to anyone serving in the Veitnam conflict zone regardless of branch for military operations through May 15, 1975. I hope people will take this the way it's intended. Please do not discount those who served in Veitnam after March 1973. That date was only the end of American offensive operations. There was still US involvement through May 1975. I was injured in April 1975 during operation Frequent Wind. I was also involved in operation Eagle Pull in gulf of Thailand, the evacuation of US personnel from Cambodia and the recapture and rescue of the Mayaguez, which seized by the Cambodian forces of Pol Pot in May 1975 which is now recognized as the last battle of Veitnam War. I am a Veitnam Veteran, not an "ERA" veteran even though my first deployment didn't get over there until March 1973. Because of in service injuries I am rated 100% combat disabled. And yes I do have the VSM along with the Humanitarian Medal and just found out a few weeks ago that I am also eligible for the South Veitnamese Cross of Valor which they [South Veitnamese] gave for the American vets involved in Frequent Wind. And although the US does not officially award it they do recognize it. Final note: due to "clerking" (read as lazy or not properly trained personel clerks or yowmen) errors a lot of DD214's do not show all awards. Mine for instance only showed the basic service medal (you know the red and yellow one. For the life of me I cannot remember the actual name right now) that everyone got in boot camp. As a result many needed to be corrected.
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #120

I didn't see what the guys (and gals) in country did but I still saw enough during operations "Eagle Pull", "Frequent Wind", and the Mayaguez Incident (saw 8 Marines buy it ).
You are reading my DD-214. I was involved in all of those. Then the Liberation of Kuwait, then the Gulf war. USS Blue Ridge.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #121

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
What does this topic have to do with RV'ing? For me, it explains why so many of us feel like family in many of the RV parks we travel in. Many of us are in our 60's & 70's, many are military veterans, and yes, many served during that 1960-1974 time frame.
(not to exclude the more recent combat vets, just not part of this thread)

For those that served in country, there is a special bond. For those of us who didn't serve "In country", we still understand much more about it than the bulk of the civilian population. I was trained, and ready to go, but never left the US. I was on a plane, three times, in the process of going, before our unit was ordered to stand down.

Just because you weren't in combat, didn't mean the military didn't put you at risk. As a young Air Force Engineering officer, I had many interesting jobs, hazardous waste clean-up, nuclear safety engineer looking for radiation leaks from the nuclear weapons both on the B52's parked on the Christmas tree, and in storage, I inspected bombing range structures while live firing was being conducted, along with a thousand other risky jobs that other military members were asked to do all over the globe.

But the worst for me was notifying widows of husbands never coming home, and trying to comfort wives of pilots who were prisoners. Oh, and lets not forget the treatment we received when out in public, in uniform, that's another subject etched in my mind. I am very grateful that I never had to face actual combat, but I was ready if called. We all served as needed.

Others may disagree, but for me the difference between a "Viet Nam Veteran", and a "Viet Nam Era Veteran", is really a matter of geography of being in a combat area or not. I consider most of Southeast Asia as a war zone when hostilities were active, I didn't have my boots on the ground there, but I, along with thousands of others, sure did support those that were.

Outstanding post, Journey!!!! thank you.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #122

Newmar Owners Club
The medal poster could not remember is the "National Defense Service Medal" think it had some red in it. All Military Personal received this one if enlisted up to DOD recognized End of Conflict. And not being a butt head, but, it's Your Service Record, and you should have made sure that all awards were entered. As a Yeoman, I did, but then I knew to do this. Most commands reminded folks to spend time with Personnel to go over PSR annually, I know my duty stations did for all. Upon discharge, went over record again, to make sure nothing was missing, and made extra copies of the important stuff. Please don't disparage Personnelman and Yeoman, they had it just as hard as you did.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 AM   #123

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing is important for everyone, particularly critics who say only those who actually served in Viet Nam should be recognized as Viet Nam veterans: Behind EVERY combat veteran is a team of at least ten other military or civilian members. I heard and read that statement many times during my active duty days that started in the 1970s.

I greatly admire and respect combat veterans, but they simply cannot do their difficult and dangerous jobs without that support team wherever they may be located, in-country or back in the states.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 AM   #124
KJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
I greatly admire and respect combat veterans, but they simply cannot do their difficult and dangerous jobs without that support team wherever they may be located, in-country or back in the states.
Amen to that. A few years ago, I was flying on Delta and I boarded early. 3 flight attendants were gathered around an aging gent wearing a hat and a jacket that said WWII Veteran. My seat was next to him and one of the flight attendants said to me “you’re lucky, you get to sit next to the war hero.” I replied I’m honored. After the flight attendants left I asked him if he was in the European theater or the Pacific theater. His comment was “I worked in the post office at Fort Sill, OK for my whole tour of duty.” I remember thinking 3 things. He didn’t lie about his service. He was obviously very elderly and may not be receiving the attention he felt he needed at this stage of his life. And lastly, receiving mail has always been important to members of the armed forces and I’m sure his efforts were appreciated by many. I did not mention to him my 19 months in Vietnam as a young Marine. Our remaining conversations were about him and I enjoyed talking to him.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #125

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
Amen to that. A few years ago, I was flying on Delta and I boarded early. 3 flight attendants were gathered around an aging gent wearing a hat and a jacket that said WWII Veteran. My seat was next to him and one of the flight attendants said to me “you’re lucky, you get to sit next to the war hero.” I replied I’m honored. After the flight attendants left I asked him if he was in the European theater or the Pacific theater. His comment was “I worked in the post office at Fort Sill, OK for my whole tour of duty.” I remember thinking 3 things. He didn’t lie about his service. He was obviously very elderly and may not be receiving the attention he felt he needed at this stage of his life. And lastly, receiving mail has always been important to members of the armed forces and I’m sure his efforts were appreciated by many. I did not mention to him my 19 months in Vietnam as a young Marine. Our remaining conversations were about him and I enjoyed talking to him.
Very Nice Post. Respect the elderly Veteran.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #126

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bumper Sticker seen at the VA Clinic: "I WAS A VIETNAM VETERAN BEFORE IT BECAME POPULAR". If earned wear the Vietnam Veteran hat/shirt/whatever proudly. It amazes me how Civilians perceive Veterans. Spit on; now Applauded. DO NOT be a fake Veteran.

flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote