Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1306 View Post
Hey there, ...
In the reception center I volunteered for the SF program. Graduated in Mar 72. wanted to go to Vietnam but our entire class of about 15 men all were assigned to FT Bragg, 5th SFG. 5th GP was returning from Vietnam and were short personnel. After my first hitch I decided to stay in. Went to HALO school as a reenlistment bonus. WOOHOO. Retired in 94 when we came home from Somalia.
Now the wife and I are thinking of buying a motorhome for some traveling. We'll see!

Mike
Mike,
We crossed paths, I am sure.
5th, 7th, 10th, SWC, and finally SOCOM my last 3 years. Retired in 2001, SEP, matter of fact (911). Break in service from 72 to 81 for school.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #16

For sure we have jumped onto the same drop zones. Probably covered the same terrain carrying way to heavy ruck sacks. That I don't miss.
mikey1306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #17

I had to think to get the dates right. 5th GP from 72 till 75 at Bragg. 10th GP at Devens 77-79. Spanish language school then back to Bragg with 7th GP 82-87. 87-89 3rd BN 7th in Panama. Then I got stuck in ROTC at James Madison U out of the academy. 92-94 5th GP FT Campbell Ky.
De Opresso Liber!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Big overlap with 7th SFGA. Spend any time at the CREM? Billy Pyle, Donnie Hambrick, Bobby Medina, Tom Sheridan, Donnie Pringle, Bill Dolasky,...all medics. MAJ Pulley, MAJ Farrell (svc co); lotsa last names with no first names (we didn't seem to use first names much)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #19

I was on the initial boat ride to set up the CREM. The team i was assigned to was in Spanish language school at the time. Because I just finished Spanish out in Monterey I was added to the initial group. I was the TM SGT for the second trip as they finished language school soon after the initial group returned to Bragg. Ramirez, Acevedo, were some of the ones I worked with. Leo Rabago was another.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I was on the initial boat ride to set up the CREM. The team i was assigned to was in Spanish language school at the time. Because I just finished Spanish out in Monterey I was added to the initial group. I was the TM SGT for the second trip as they finished language school soon after the initial group returned to Bragg. Ramirez, Acevedo, were some of the ones I worked with. Leo Rabago was another.
Keerist! Frago and Ace. Haven't thought about those days in decades. Sending you a PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Well, there was a SEAL call-out on this forum, so I'm asking if there are any former (or present) Green Beanies (Army Special Forces) monitoring this forum?

I was 1968-72 (got out the first time), then 1976-1981 (Army Reserves due to scholarship commitment), then Active duty 1981-2001 (payback years that extended to a career):
10th Group (Devens), MACVSOG (CCN/TF1AE), 5th, 7th, SWC, SOCOM.

Did the whole circle going from "FTA" (hated the regular Army) to eventually becoming one of the very people I disliked back when I was 18.
Huh, sound familiar?

Watcha got?
I'm sure I know you, or heard of you, or know someone that you know.
You know how small the circle is...
My hubby was in 10th SFG at Ft. Devens (1983-1987), then to Ft. Bragg SWC as a HALO instructor, then to Germany, back to Ft. Carson (after they closed Devens), then changed to 1st SFG and went to Ft. Lewis. Retired in 1999.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
My hubby was in 10th SFG at Ft. Devens (1983-1987), then to Ft. Bragg SWC as a HALO instructor, then to Germany, back to Ft. Carson (after they closed Devens), then changed to 1st SFG and went to Ft. Lewis. Retired in 1999.
So, Sandy, where is he now?
Old 08-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
I may have met your hubby when he was assigned to the HALO committee. I had a HALO team in the 7th GP at Bragg from 84-late 87. We used to strap hang with the committee for jumps because it was hard to get aircraft for our HALO jumps. I"m sure he knows Bobby Parker. Bob
and I met many years ago when he was a reservist and I was on active duty assigned to the 11th SFG reserve. Hope you all are doing well.
Mike Williams
Old 09-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
So, Sandy, where is he now?
We are currently living in Columbia, SC. He works at Palmetto State Armory assembling guns.

We moved 2x for my career after he retired from the Army. I retired from the U.S. Department of Labor VETS (GS-12) this past January. I'm 3 years older than him, so he is still working.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
I may have met your hubby when he was assigned to the HALO committee. I had a HALO team in the 7th GP at Bragg from 84-late 87. We used to strap hang with the committee for jumps because it was hard to get aircraft for our HALO jumps. I"m sure he knows Bobby Parker. Bob
and I met many years ago when he was a reservist and I was on active duty assigned to the 11th SFG reserve. Hope you all are doing well.
Mike Williams
Yes, he does know Bobby Parker!
Hubby's name is Jon Swarts.

Sandy Swarts
Old 09-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #26

Not a snake eater but probably gave a lift with the taxi company I spent a few years with. Task Force 160 which begot the 160th SOAR out of Ft Campbell. Was there 1980-88 and then 90-92.

Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #27
OCM

I wasn't SF, but my two brothers were. John Merritt Maj (ret) is in Arlington,(RIP) Younger brother Patrick Merritt Capt . At rest in Colorado. Both had many tours in VN. Miss them both. Going to Arlington to lay wreaths in Dec. and visit John. John was in SF from '57 - '78 or so. Pat from '60 - '77 .
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCM View Post
I wasn't SF, but my two brothers were. John Merritt Maj (ret) is in Arlington,(RIP) Younger brother Patrick Merritt Capt . At rest in Colorado. Both had many tours in VN. Miss them both. Going to Arlington to lay wreaths in Dec. and visit John. John was in SF from '57 - '78 or so. Pat from '60 - '77 .
Can't say I remember running into any Merritt's, BUT, by any wild wild chance, are you related to Roxanne M. who works in the JFK museum ??