Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:25 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
DAV mag had a piece recently that said a congressman was going to introduce a bill that all UI vets that were at SS age would be dropped ! Like why should they get UI when there retired and and can draw SS. Any info on that ?
That's age discrimination! Not likely to happen, in todays society.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 05:13 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-t View Post
That's age discrimination! Not likely to happen, in todays society.
Guess you haven't seen some of the new SS bills being introduced. As the senior voting block gets smaller so will the benefits for seniors. Here's a VA benefit that got passed recently.

Howz this for Discrimination. ?

Caregiver Eligibility Check
Are you interested in applying for VA's Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers Program? Answer a few questions to find out if you meet the criteria for VA's new program for certain Veterans needing the assistance of a caregiver. Based on your answers to the questions, you will be guided to complete the appropriate online application for VA benefits.
If you need assistance in applying for VA's Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers Program, or have questions about the Program, call us at 1-877-222-VETS (8387).
Questionnaire
Is the person needing caregiver assistance currently in the military?
Yes No
Is the person currently enrolled in VA health care benefits?
Yes No
Does the Veteran or Servicemember require at least six months of continuous supervision or assistance with performing basic functions of everyday life due to a serious injury or mental disorder (including psychological trauma or other mental disorder) incurred or aggravated in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001?
Yes No
It appears the Veteran or Servicemember may not meet the criteria for VA's Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers; however, the Veteran or Servicemember may be eligible for VA health benefits and other caregiver support services. To confirm whether you meet the criteria for the Program or to find out about other caregiver support services, contact the Caregiver Support Coordinator at your local VA health care facility.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #31

Quote:
DAV mag had a piece recently that said a congressman was going to introduce a bill that all UI vets that were at SS age would be dropped ! Like why should they get UI when there retired and and can draw SS. Any info on that ?
That's what I said on first page of this post.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
FYI

I just was informed by my Advocate regarding my claim with the VA, If you are at least 70% or more you can inform the VA the you are no longer employable. If you meet the requirements they will pay you at 100% and your rating will remain the same.
This is true BUT you don't notify the VA that you can't work, the C&P (compensation and pension) doctor that reviewed your case has to make that recommendation.

If you are awarded an increase to say 80% or if you are awarded 100% the letter you receive MUST say that your disability is "Permanent and Total" and must state that you are eligible for "Individual Unemployability." Then and only then will you be paid at the 100% compensation with assurance that your case will not be reviewed in the future. This can occur at 80% as well but the PT and IU will get you compensated at 100%
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
That's what I said on first page of this post.
I was aware of that. However was wanting more info on subject from other sources than what you and I already knew. Guess there is none...
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP here. Just got a call from the VA for a Oct 25th appointment with a VA C & P Doctor to see about adjusting my left hip disability. Since they can't install the original I don't think I will loose any compensation. I am currently in the approval process of getting the left artificial hip joint revised. Seems I wore the old one out. Already had the Right one revised in 2005. Damn things just don't last forever!
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #35

MISINFORMATION:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
FYI

I just was informed by my Advocate regarding my claim with the VA, If you are at least 70% or more you can inform the VA the you are no longer employable. If you meet the requirements they will pay you at 100% and your rating will remain the same.

Straight from the VA:
Eligibility Requirements:
You must be a Veteran.
You must have at least one service connected disability rated at least at 60%, OR.
Two or more service connected disabilities at least one disability ratable at 40 percent or more with a combined rating of 70 percent or more.

Incomplete information among vets is creating as much frustration as the VA system itself. I recently had a entertaining discussion with one vet (Joe) over diabetes. His friend told him he (friend) started getting a check from the VA for having diabetes. Well, Joe wants a check too now. Joe could not understand that the diabetes had to be related to a service-connected condition to be rated. Joe's 2 yrs service stateside during Vietnam era and NO injuries did not make him eligible. AND since Joe worked for a chemical company for 30+ years with no medical complaints after military service would be an uphill battle for any claims (paycheck to them) since there wasn't even a stubbed toe in his records. But it doesn't stop his wife from throwing a fit at the County VA rep office on a regular basis.
matt2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
FYI: When you apply for the unemployable 100% rate the VA sends a unemployable form to your last employer asking them if you can still be employed. If answered yes you can be employed by a supervisor or manager then you are disapproved.

Whenever I meet another Veteran I always tell them to contact the local VA office and clinic or hospital to register and see if they are eligible for benefits. There are so many confusing rules and stories out there that the only true source is to ask the VA. Make sure you have your DD214.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
"When you apply for the unemployable 100% rate the VA sends a unemployable form to your last employer asking them if you can still be employed."

I TDRL in 81 and PDRL in 86 with rating and have heard a lot of VA misinformation since then Coop...but this takes the prize..
I IU in 2001 when condition deteriorated to where panel of VA physicians deem me IU. CRDP in 08. Hadn't been gainfully employed in 10 yrs.
How do YOU apply for 100% IU...just askn?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Will Coop, you've posted on ten other threads since this one, so I guess we're not gonna hear your reply...sorry I thought maybe you had something....
Old 10-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Will Coop, you've posted on ten other threads since this one, so I guess we're not gonna hear your reply...sorry I thought maybe you had something....
I am no expert on VA disability claims just stating my own experiences. Thanks skypilot_1 for bringing this to my attention. I didn't understand all of your acronyms so I didn't answer. I applied for unemployable disability through the VA ebenefit web site this year. They actually informed me I was eligible to apply because my rating hand changed but I didn't know that until I looked at my claim status. Waiting for an answer so no reason to post any updates.

Note to all: If you apply online through the VA online ebenefit page they will request supporting documents. Unfortunately they don't send you an email or call you. YOU MUST keep checking your online claim to see the status. I didn't even k now my rating had changed until I checked my claim status. I check my claim status monthly.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Update for skypilot_1. I haven't been employed since 2011 and cab still apply for IU since I recently met all the requirements. Hope this answers your question.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Double posted
Old 10-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for coming back Chief. My only exception was the bit about contacting vets last employer regarding his physical/mental employability status. Never heard of that ever happening and certainly didn't in my case. VA doc's made that decision without any civilian input.

Compensation Individual Unemployability: https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensa...loyability.asp

Dropping IU is safe for now...it seems. But its always up for modifying during congressional budget reviews. The recommendation was for dropping 208,000 IU seriously disabled veterans age 62 or older. This money would be used to fund the NEW Choice program. Which to my thinking will be the start of taking VA to the private sector. But thats just me...so far. Don't under estimate what could happen with SS & VA benefits as the senior voting block gets smaller in the future.

https://militaryadvantage.military.c...u-pay-cut-too/

“It’s not readily apparent that the VA has said for sure it’s going to drop that [IU] proposal,” Blake told the committee after Shulkin testified. “It sounds like the secretary is willing to discuss it further and see where this goes from here.”

Tags
disability