Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Applying for Disability Compensation

I have a 80% Service Connected rating. Started at 30%, Upped to 50%, and now 80%. I recently applied for more disability. I recently talked to a retired VA employee at my wife's doctor office. He said I should apply bc I now have COPD, Melanoma, Sleep Apnea, and more Arthritis. All discovered and treated by my local VA clinic. So I sent in a claim bc my wife deserves some compensation for putting up with my BS for all these years. Very easy to do on the VA web site. Hoping for 100%. Waiting to see results.

flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please keep us posted, as I have some of the same issues.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #3

Unless your new ailments are service related, you will not receive any additional percentage. God luck dealing with all the red tape!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
Please keep us posted, as I have some of the same issues.

howdy,
saw your handle ... 81x?

me, 812, korat '74-'75
Old 07-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Served 26 years, cancer twice, use CPAP cause I am overweight, wear two hearing aids. Have never applied for disability. Leave what money there is for those kids with missing limbs and war injuries. Every person makes choices and I choose to believe if I wasn't broken when I got out then it was not related to my service. I pay every month so my wife will get part of my retirement when I go. I wish all you folks with disabilities well and hope your valid claims are approved. By the way, my father-in-law served in WWII. He has passed so I applied for his wife to receive a Widows Pension. It was not approved because she has too much income. $1100 a month SS. Max is about $8500 per year. Thank God she has her family.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My VA claim update. Was examined by a VA doctor in August. Result was The VA increased my disability rating from 80% to 90% and encouraged me to apply for unemployability compensation. I had to search the ebenefit.va.gov web site to find out the increase in my disability rating. They have not sent me the results of my claim bc of the unemployable question but they have posted my 10% increase. Sent in the unemployable application today. Their math is horrible. They gave me a increase of 30% due to leg pain associated to my lower back degeneration but only raised my compensation by 10%.
Apparently In order to get any increase in compensation the claim must be related to an already existing disability rating even if it is 0% rated. They say my Cancer, COPD, etc is not service connected bc it occurred after I retired from service. Guess I waited too long to claim. I believe it was all service connected and may appeal if my unemployability claim is denied. They posted I would get an answer in 2 or 3 months.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
howdy,
saw your handle ... 81x?

me, 812, korat '74-'75
I was a F4 maintainer. 321X, 326X and 324X. Three AFSCs, Easy to cross train in the USAF. Thailand 71-75. Linebacker I and II.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #8

I would appeal, because V.A. Is trying or has cut the unemployability back to your original percentage once you reach s/s age.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Disability Compensation - My Position

Any nation, whether it be good or evil, and whether anyone wishes to acknowledge it or deny it, rides on the back of its military.

Equality of human rights dictates that no individual has an obligation or duty to risk his life or health to save or protect the life or health of another individual.

When an individual takes upon himself the task of defending his
country, and in so doing, risks his life or health, all others derive
benefit by not being required to risk their own life or health in their own defense. That benefit frees them to pursue their own interests and provides an enormous marginal economic benefit by transferring the opportunity cost of self-defense to the military member.

Justice dictates that those who benefit from the military service of another derive not only an economic benefit, but also incur an economic liability in the form of an obligation to compensate those whose life or health is harmed in the line of duty by their military service.

Such compensation is not a gift. It is not charity. It is not welfare.
It is a debt that is owed and must be paid.

I would be interested in comments.

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randm Musing View Post
Any nation, whether it be good or evil, and whether anyone wishes to acknowledge it or deny it, rides on the back of its military.

Equality of human rights dictates that no individual has an obligation or duty to risk his life or health to save or protect the life or health of another individual.

When an individual takes upon himself the task of defending his
country, and in so doing, risks his life or health, all others derive
benefit by not being required to risk their own life or health in their own defense. That benefit frees them to pursue their own interests and provides an enormous marginal economic benefit by transferring the opportunity cost of self-defense to the military member.

Justice dictates that those who benefit from the military service of another derive not only an economic benefit, but also incur an economic liability in the form of an obligation to compensate those whose life or health is harmed in the line of duty by their military service.

Such compensation is not a gift. It is not charity. It is not welfare.
It is a debt that is owed and must be paid.

I would be interested in comments.

Charles.
Completely agree.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I for one don't feel its the country's responsibility to compensation any veteran for health issue that are naturally occurring due to deteriorating age. Which will happen the same to someone that was never in the military. I know vets that started out with less than 30% rating (yes due to there own doing, motorcycle accident or self inflicted actions) at separation, and with the passing of time and normal life deterioration, i.e. failing organs, hearing, arthritis....list is long. Have got the their rating up to 80-90-100%.
The service connected line gets very blurred with age.
How bout this....Club officer in Saigon his whole tour. And later in life gets any one of the 13 diseases on the Agent Orange list and......bingo he's getting a monthly VA check.
I met an exSgt that was a paid county veterans adviser. Over a beer at a unnamed VFW he asks if Im getting PTSD money ? No, don't have PTSD, just lose it every once and awhile when I remember the guys I was with that didn't come back. He gives me his card and tells me to come see him, as he can tell me how to handle the VA interview...you know...how to answer the questions. Yes there's welfare fraud and there's VA fraud as well. They know who they are. Yes I also understand there are vets out there with service connected disabilities that can't get anything and Im sorry for that.
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With very few exceptions, service connected means you were treated for it while you were on active duty.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
With very few exceptions, service connected means you were treated for it while you were on active duty.
Cmsgt, Very few if any PTSD and Agent Orange vets were ever treated for IT on AD. And its about as Service Connected as you can get. But that IS my point, old age is not Service Connected. Just sayn
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I started this thread to inform Veterans of possibly getting an increase in their disability rating. This thread is not for debating if someone deserves a service connected disability. Everyone has an opinion on service connected disabilities. There are examples on both sides as to whether disability was earned or not. The ONLY "opinion" the VA will accept is that of a Doctor. No One gets disability without a Doctor's approval and has medical records to support the decision. Service connected disabilities deteriorate with ageing and require medical treatment. Thank goodness the VA realizes this happens and compensates us veterans.

Tags
disability