Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel about 7 months a year and stay on military installations about 3/4 of the time. While lots of other apps have info, IMO U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home has the most comprehensive info to include the GPS coordinates of the RV gates, GPS coordinates of the campground and telephone numbers.

Most military campgrounds are what I refer to as being "behind the wire?. Old solider that I am (22 years in the US Army), I enjoy being around my family and make use of many of the facilities.

The folks that run the site above work hard at it. Most of their funding comes from donations and purchase of their apps. On the site is a downloadable file for installation GPS coordinates that is easily importable. Thanks you folks.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We use FAM camps when they are convenient. However if you belong to Coast to coast, Resorts of Distinction, or Passport America you can get a lower price and a better campground. We recently camped at 5 different campgrounds for two weeks in Michigan at the great cost of $140. You will not find that price at a FAM camp.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Flywithcoop - to each their own but the buy-in costs for Resorts of Distinction and Coast to Coast spread over the total, raises the daily costs of
significantly. We use Passport America as a back up for military famcamps. Experience in PAs is rather spotty for us quality wise. Plus we use gyms, commissary, PX, ticket tron, medical and MWR recreational facilities. And as I said, we enjoy being around our military family

Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #46

Mike, you have something there. FAMCAMPS are not cheap anymore. They are very expensive up here in NE.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what expensive looks like but famcamps we've stayed at are generally in the $25 a nite range some higher. But staying on Coronado Island for $30 per night is a bargain. We travel southeast and southwest predominately.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Flywithcoop - to each their own but the buy-in costs for Resorts of Distinction and Coast to Coast spread over the total, raises the daily costs of
significantly. We use Passport America as a back up for military famcamps. Experience in PAs is rather spotty for us quality wise. Plus we use gyms, commissary, PX, ticket tron, medical and MWR recreational facilities. And as I said, we enjoy being around our military family
Yes the buy in for RoD or Coast to Coast is significant. They do give a huge Military/DAV discount. We have had Coast to Coast since 2008 so we have got our return on investment. FAM camp cost varies and so does the quality. The best thing they had was security but that has changed since some of them have opened to the public. Don't get me wrong we do use them. We have stayed at them from North Carolina to California and South Dakota. FAM camps are our second choice after Coast to Coast. then we use State Park, Corp of Engineers, and National Forest campgrounds.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike - when we started to RV several months a year, we looked at a couple of the larger RV clubs like Thousand Trails and Resorts of Distinction and decided against them for a number of reasons. Always a good thing to see fellow vagabonds enjoying their time in their coaches and getting a good ROI.

Your correct about military campgrounds varying. I've stayed in a couple that were what I refer to as mud holes, others that there (to be kind) tightly spaced and others that had to many permanent party. By enlarge, most are very well run and friendly. Like I say we enjoy being close to military family.

Safe travels

Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I sent a link directly to the Military Campgrounds. But here it is again. U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
In the past I joined this site. A few years have passed. Now I cannot get into it no matter what I try. When I try what I think my username and pw were it is incorrect. So when I try to get it resent via forget pw link I cannot get past the **** capcha which has two words. I tried putting them altogether, no go. I tried a 1 space in between, no go. I tried several spaces, no go. Now the site tells me I am blocked. I cannot contact the site anyway I know how to do.

I am very frustrated at the moment as I now wish to use (and donate to it), but cannot do so.

Would anyone here be willing to send them a help msg on my behalf?

Surprise! I never was able to complete the new registration process successfully but when I checked my email and surprise, I had an email requesting I send the embedded link to activate my account! I never got past capcha but somehow I got in.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #51
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From their site

Quote:
Published: Saturday, 19 March 2016 08:09 Written by Larry Farquhar
If you are using Gmail, you need to check your "online" Gmail SPAM folder at http://mail.google.com. For some reason, Google marks most of the email coming from this website as SPAM. This is VERY IMPORTANT to new users, as your "activation" email is emailed to you. You'll need to follow the weblink in your "activation" email to activate your user account. Otherwise, your account will remain blocked. This "activation" is required to help reduce spammers and hackers from accssing the website.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
From their site
I do not use gmail although i have a gmail address. Several years ago I tried it and every time I use it I just get frustrated. So I still pay $10 a month for a Netscape email I actually know how to use.

Tags
campground