RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #43

Other then the acknowledgement in my signature line I do not tout my NAVY Service.
No hats, no insignias, no pins etc.

I was proud to serve.....fact is I volunteered to join in 1972 and did so with honor.
NAVY taught me a trade that I capitalized on and made a career out of it.

As USMCRET stated.........it doesn't define who I am.
And I WOULD do it again!

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
RATO?

The Navy's early A-4 Skyhawks, fondly known as the "Scooter," had some slots in the speed brakes mounted on each side of the fuselage. Nobody who flew them or worked on them could tell me what the slots were used for.
It took some digging to find out they were for mounting rockets for Rocket Assisted Take Offs. The Navy lost a number of pilots and aircraft when the rocket(s?) on one side failed to ignite or flamed out when the rocket(s?) on the opposite side operated normally.
Bigger engines and longer runways allowed the Navy to stop using them. They must have been intended for the Marine Corps operating from forward operating improvised runways.
Hats off for anyone who had the cajones to do RATO.
SOP for P-5M "pig boat" to get off the water. Only it was called JATO back in the day. And yes they were propellant fuel burning bottles. Losing a side didn't matter that much on big aircraft as they were center line thrust. Not that much adverse yaw. It was also SOP to have to feather an engine frequently...ahhh the good ole days.

skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
I think they were WSOs (Weapons Systems Officer).

EWOs are not WSOs. Wild Weasels flew with EWOs in the pit. WSOs flew in all other missions. EWOs could do the WSO thing, but WSOs weren’t qualified to do the EWO thing. Pitter is another term for the gib. Been there, done that.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #46

VHPA and DAV also. 😁
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	238028
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When somebody thanks me for my service I always say "it was an honor to wear the uniform."

On the back of the MH on the built on ladder I have a license plate sized VN Service Ribbon and a license plate sized set of Master Army Aviator Wings. My state license plate is a PH model.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
SOP for P-5M "pig boat" to get off the water. Only it was called JATO back in the day. And yes they were propellant fuel burning bottles. Losing a side didn't matter that much on big aircraft as they were center line thrust. Not that much adverse yaw. It was also SOP to have to feather an engine frequently...ahhh the good ole days.
I've always been fascinated by anything that flys but especially by the big flying boats. I have tried to fly any flying machine I could buy, beg, borrow or steal (well this one might not be true.)
I have flown more than 40 types of fixed wings from Rogallo-winged hang gliders, sailplanes, round-engines, taildraggers, turboprops, turbojets and turbofans. I have mishandled a Huey and a Robinson. Seaplanes and lighter-than-air are still on my bucket list.
Years ago I almost pulled the trigger on adding a seaplane rating but DW convinced me that baby needed a new pair of shoes. I still don't understand why babies need shoes when you have to carry them everywhere anyways.
Unfortunately, DW has family bragging rights in the field of aviation. Whenever she thinks I'm getting too big for my britches she reminds me I have never been in a seaplane whereas SHE has flown on the Boeing 314 Pan Am Clipper from Honolulu to San Francisco as a young Marine Corps brat.
Oh, the injustice of it all!!!
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW: The A-3's had JATO racks as will. Mission required over max T/O with low fuel state and JATO assist. Then hit tanker soon after.

"hats off to anyone who had the cajones to do RATO"

I don't know about that, think we were just young & invincible (read stupid)
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #51

Welcome home comrades!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #52

I like many others, have never got the hat, shirt, bumper sticker , or any of that. Today however, I was in line checking out at Home Depot and the fellow in front of me was asking about their discount for Veterans. I pulled out my VA card and got their 10% discount - that was nice. I don't know how many times I've been to Home Depot and any number of other businesses that give discounts to veterans, but I had never thought to use that privilege before today.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I like many others, have never got the hat, shirt, bumper sticker , or any of that. Today however, I was in line checking out at Home Depot and the fellow in front of me was asking about their discount for Veterans. I pulled out my VA card and got their 10% discount - that was nice. I don't know how many times I've been to Home Depot and any number of other businesses that give discounts to veterans, but I had never thought to use that privilege before today.
Take a few minutes to complete the data on you, once it's in their system all you need to do it tell the cashier your phone # and it automatically includes the military discount. That works at Lowes too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Take a few minutes to complete the data on you, once it's in their system all you need to do it tell the cashier your phone # and it automatically includes the military discount. That works at Lowes too.

Thank you, I didn't know that.

OK, I was just checking on how to sign up for Home Depot's discount for Vets. It looks like company policy is only active duty or retired veterans or those with service connected disabilities can get the discount any time. All other veterans get the discount only on patriotic holidays. I also read that many store cashiers don't bother making that distinction.

With Lowe's any vet can get the discount any day if you sign up before hand and they have some 3rd party verify your service.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #55

I used to feel too guilty about taking a senior or veteran's discount. I figured young people just starting their careers and supporting growing families were more in need of a discount than I did.
I slowly changed my mind and felt better about taking the discounts by rationalizing they only put a dent in my growing Ibuprofen bill.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Thank you, I didn't know that.

OK, I was just checking on how to sign up for Home Depot's discount for Vets. It looks like company policy is only active duty or retired veterans or those with service connected disabilities can get the discount any time. All other veterans get the discount only on patriotic holidays. I also read that many store cashiers don't bother making that distinction.

With Lowe's any vet can get the discount any day if you sign up before hand and they have some 3rd party verify your service.
My local HD gives me the veteran discount. I just show my drivers license. I guess it is a store by store thing. Some will give it to all vets and some only to retirees, active duty, or disabled as they all have cards.