Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Question Are You All Getting the Benefits You Earned ????

[FLASH TRAFFIC]

Are you getting what you earned?

Today, I went to my Verizon Store and showed the man my VA Administration ID card and I was extended the courtesy of a 15% discount on my calling plan. The discount also extends over to VZ merchandise (not the phones themselves) {read accessories} and no Apple branded products. I am a Veteran only and not retired military. {the man at the VZ store said that he was an Army brat and that the majority of veterans don't know about the discount}

The VZ discount does not apply to any DATA fees that you would incur on a smartphone, air card or MiFi.

Just last week I went to Lowes Home Improvement and showed them my VA ID Card and I got a 10% discount. I've spent $thousands$ there already w/o knowing about my VA ID Card benefit.

Man .... Where has my VA ID Card been all of my life!

[END MESSAGE]
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #2

"The VZ discount does not apply to any DATA fees that you would incur on a smartphone, air card or MiFi."

That's funny, I get an additional 12% off my data plan on my Droid in addition to the 15% Veterans discount on the Phone Plan.

Home Depot also offers the 10% discount to Veterans.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
That's funny, I get an additional 12% off my data plan on my Droid in addition to the 15% Veterans discount on the Phone Plan.

Home Depot also offers the 10% discount to Veterans.
Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised next month if I see a discount on my MiFi data plan. Did you get grandfathered into an pre-existing plan?

As of today, what I was told is that my data pkg is not subject to a discount.

Thanks for the info in regard to HD.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised next month if I see a discount on my MiFi data plan. Did you get grandfathered into an pre-existing plan?

As of today, what I was told is that my data pkg is not subject to a discount.

Thanks for the info in regard to HD.
You're welcome on the Home Depot info. As for the data pkg, nope, not grandfathered in, I just switched to Verizon this past August. It was on my first and every bill since. I think I was also told that the discount wouldn't be on the data but I get 15% on the phone part and 12% on the data. Every little bit helps.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I sure wish I could memorize this, but since I cannot, I just always ask, "Do you have a veterans or military discount?"

Click Here for Discount list
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
My experience as a veteran, (not a retiree or disabled) with Home Depot and Lowes is that you must have a photo ID card to receive the discount year round. More information about this subject can be found on Lowes and Home Depot's web page. Look for Military Discounts policy.

A "plain Jane" veteran without a photo ID that only has a DD-214 discharge document can receive a discount on the July 4th week end, Veterans Day and Memorial day only.

Home Depot Corporat office sent me a one time check a few years ago because of a misunderstanding of their policy after I gathered ny receipts for a calender year of purchases to match what Lowes mistakenly provided.

That being said, the individual store managers at times will overlook the photo ID requirement. However I'm pretty sure both stores have clamped down on the policies as it was over-used by non-disabled/retired veterans.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I sure wish I could memorize this, but since I cannot, I just always ask, "Do you have a veterans or military discount?"

Click Here for Discount list
I just got my VA ID Card and I'm 63 YO. All these years I thought that if I had a DD214 and a $1.50, I could get a cup of coffee and that was it. I hope that if you are one of those lost veterans, please do yourself a favor and go to VA Center and apply.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #8

It always pays to ask. Same for senior discounts.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks Driver. We have been with Verizon for years and had no idea. Guess where we are going today..... Frank gets a discount at Lowes and Home Depot all year long with his VA card. There have been times at different places that he got a discount just wearing his hat. Someone posted a list of discounts for seniors that have some I didn't know about. I think it was Wayne M. I printed it so I don't forget.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
[FLASH TRAFFIC]

While I also use my Retired Navy ID card to get discounts, especially on large purchases, and am appreciative to the Home Depot (et al) for offering the same, the discount is not something that I EARNED! IT IS something given due to my service rendered, nothing more.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Home Depot will usually give a $50 off if you open an account. When I got my Porter Cable air compressor I asked the clerk for the veterans discount. She happily applied the discount then asked if I would like to apply for a HD account and receive an additional $50 discount. I told her I already had a HD account, she said that's ok you can have another one. Bottom line $99 air compressor for $40 . Allways ask for the discounts, veterans, military, seniors, whatever.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Quote:
[FLASH TRAFFIC]

While I also use my Retired Navy ID card to get discounts, especially on large purchases, and am appreciative to the Home Depot (et al) for offering the same, the discount is not something that I EARNED! IT IS something given due to my service rendered, nothing more.

Ed
That is how I feel about it too. Menards stopped the military discount near me, the manager said it was because the local firemen and policemen began complaining it was not extended to them. I thanked him for the prior discounts, and said I didn't expect the discount but it was appreciated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Ed, You will have to please excuse my excitement but the something earned wasn't exactly my idea but it was repeated to me and it just stuck so I apologize for the comment.

You are correct, the discounts are NOT something that I earned it is a privilege that merchants extend to prior military service personnel in appreciation for their service to our country.

My excitement if I may be allowed the license to call it that was as if a ton of bricks fell on me from out of the sky. I have been ETSed from the military since 1971. Since then I never took anything from anyone and have never collected an unemployment check because I was resourceful and lucky enough to find work.

Throughout my life as an employed individual, I did not have to care about discounts, coupons, green stamps or any other free bee because between my wife and I we worked 4 jobs. We earned just enough to get by. If you ever lived in Fairfield County, Connecticut you would know what I mean.

Here I am at age 63, retired for just about 5 years and I have just as of a month ago got my VA Administration ID Card. I should have had a VA card some 36 years ago. I signed up into the VA system from what I have been reading here in this forum. I'm like a kid in a candy store right now and I hear you about the difference between right and privilege.

When I turned 60, I was in a Dunkin Donut store in Florida I think and the kid behind the counter wanted to give me a senior discount. I was quite upset and almost told him in the most choice of words that I wasn't interested in a senior discount.

My friend MikeT has the ability to bring things down to the lowest common denominator and he said, Mike, you're here & you're 60 and you earned it, take the discount - I would. So that's what stuck.

From what I posted here, one other member told me that he went to Verizon and obtained his military discount so it did help someone other than me and I'll just let it go at that.

In hindsight I do so much regret being blinded to what my DD214 affords me since I have spent thousands at Lowes Home Improvement with no clue that a discount was even a remote possibility. Just a few days ago I went about bought a package of screws, you guessed it, 10% off.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
[FLASH TRAFFIC]

Today, I went to my Verizon Store and showed the man my VA Administration ID card and I was extended the courtesy of a 15% discount on my calling plan. The discount also extends over to VZ merchandise (not the phones themselves) {read accessories} and no Apple branded products. I am a Veteran only and not retired military. {the man at the VZ store said that he was an Army brat and that the majority of veterans don't know about the discount}

Man .... Where has my VA ID Card been all of my life!

[END MESSAGE]
Frank and I went to Verizon the other day to inquire about this discount. The employees of that store told us only active military or disabled Vets were eligable for this discount. Well we applied for it anyway based on what you were telling us. The employee did tell us they only do a few military discounts a year so maybe it was correct. We'll see next month when our bill comes due.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote