Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
can Vets use some of these military campgrounds?

I'm a Vietnam Vet and just started RVing about a year ago. Are there Government / Military campgrounds that Vets have access to?

cheers
geo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Military FamCamps are generally open to retired military and DOD, but not to vets in general (unless the camp is also open to general public, as some are).

HERE is the best website for military campgrounds.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Geo, go to this site. U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks
Happy camping!
Mark
Retired Air Force
2002 HR Amabasador
bgj6905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
thanks.... guess i'm basically out of luck. thanks for the links!

cheers
geo
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check each one out that you had a question about. Some do allow 100% VA Disabled to use them. Not all but some.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Shouldn't have to do a search to see if am eligible or not. Being a VET should be enough.

Bet a standard VET from the DESERT STORM era is accepted, but not a standard VET from another era. Cuban Crisis.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnJa View Post
Shouldn't have to do a search to see if am eligible or not. Being a VET should be enough.

Bet a standard VET from the DESERT STORM era is accepted, but not a standard VET from another era. Cuban Crisis.
Sorry, being a veteran of any conflict is not enough. The FamCamps are open to active duty and retired military and DOD, and (as stated above) in some places 100% VA disabled.

If you had chosen to make a career out of your time in the military, you too would have had these fabulous benefits, right along with using the Commissary and Exchange .

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

There's no such thing as a "standard" vet. We are either vets or not. The fact that we were in VN or Iraq or anywhere else has nothing to do with it. My 23+ years in service to this country counts no more than the four years (or less) that a vet spent in Iraq. We are all brothers-in arms and should remember that point.

The way I was treated when I returned from VN by other Americans bordered on criminal. I'm ecstatic that today's vets are treated with the dignity and respect that they deserve. I hope you will reconsider your statement in order not to lump yourself with those so-called Americans who "greeted" us when we came back from VN. Bitterness and jealously has no standing when concerned with vet affairs.

My statements primarily concern your last paragraph. I can't speak for the first one.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:

I'm sure that is incorrect!

BTCS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was drafted at 23 years old. I was in from 63 to 65. I had a great job at Delta Air Lines. I couldn"t wait to get back to civilian life. The Army tried every way they could to get me to reenlist. I was proud to serve my country, but I was ready to return to civilian life. Many of my buddies stayed in. They deserve every benefit they get. I DO NOT think the people who only spent a couple of years in service should get the same benefits as people who serve 20 or more years. That is what is wrong with our country now. Everybody wants everything for free. FAIR IS FAIR.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
There's no such thing as a "standard" vet. We are either vets or not. The fact that we were in VN or Iraq or anywhere else has nothing to do with it. My 23+ years in service to this country counts no more than the four years (or less) that a vet spent in Iraq. We are all brothers-in arms and should remember that point.

The way I was treated when I returned from VN by other Americans bordered on criminal. I'm ecstatic that today's vets are treated with the dignity and respect that they deserve. I hope you will reconsider your statement in order not to lump yourself with those so-called Americans who "greeted" us when we came back from VN. Bitterness and jealously has no standing when concerned with vet affairs.

My statements primarily concern your last paragraph. I can't speak for the first one.
I could not have said it any better. I agree with you 100%, and WELCOME HOME my brother. To all the others now serving and other vets "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE".
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #12

Looks like Golden and I shared the same experience(s) when returning.
And I agree with all else he said.
It's a 'Brotherhood'.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden

Well said. I am a VN vet also. Thanks for your 23+ years.

James
Jymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymen View Post
Well said. I am a VN vet also. Thanks for your 23+ years.

James
Well said.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote