Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Every chow hall eerr military dining facility Ive been to in last 20 yrs is contract staffed. Id take the GI cooks anyday over whats happin today. just me
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
When I was in the Navy they had this specialty known as SOS, I had my first taste in boot camp and still remember it till now.
Bill
I remember that day my self, about 2 weeks into boot camp, we were in the last barracks back by the fence, I think that meal flushed out our whole company, it was a rush to get back to the barracks.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #17

Only was in Two chow halls ever......NTC San Diego (Boot Camp) and NTC Great Lakes (A School) after that is was a Mess Deck on board ship.

Have wiped the chow halls from my memory........will never get that Mess Deck out of my mind
SOS, Bug Juice, powdered eggs/milk, hamburger meat patties that had been frozen in wax cardboard boxes since 1946 and Stuff peppers swimming in grease during a typhoon.......had to time the ship roll so you could pick up your tray---slide to next table---gobble down a fork full...pick up tray and slide back to where you were sitting. REPEAT until done or just gave up (Up chuck)

HEY 'inlineskater'---you remember it LOL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #18

I spent 22 1/2 in the Navy and really like SOS (as did most of us) Seems none of the Navy Comissarymen would give me the real recipe, I finally found on who would tell me spice that set it apart which was nutmeg. I used to love being underway as the fresh bread was great, as well as the fresh pies and do not forget the hot out of the oven Bear Claws.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
AS an Army MP Sgt ( 1968-73 ) I loved TDY duty to Air bases. You guys ate high on the hog. Most of the time I ate with the Officers, who had cafeteria style mess halls. I'm not sure if enlisted airmen had a different style mess hall. But I'm pretty sure SOS tasted the same regardless of the dining style.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I liked MidNight Chow the best. Breakfast or Lunch your choice. Do you all remember the Korea chow Halls smelled like Kimchi? Even the Eggs at midnight chow smelled and tasted like kimchi. Was TDY to Korea from the P.I. for 3 months and could never get the taste of kimchi out of the food.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
I liked MidNight Chow the best. Breakfast or Lunch your choice.
I was an AF security policeman, worked rotating shifts, always thought mids was the best time to be in a chow hall.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
SOS

Still eating SOS, started June 60 USN and continued till 8/94 USANG and USAF. My other experience was seeing grits served to me first duty station USN Whiting FLD. Still eat grits too.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great Lakes ET-A school 1968. The old WW2 barracks and chow hall. Fried eggs brought out on a huge cookie sheet, cold and like rubber. Mess deck master at arms swatting flies at your table. AAHH what memories!!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only was in Two chow halls ever......NTC San Diego (Boot Camp) and NTC Great Lakes (A School) after that is was a Mess Deck on board ship.

Have wiped the chow halls from my memory........will never get that Mess Deck out of my mind
SOS, Bug Juice, powdered eggs/milk, hamburger meat patties that had been frozen in wax cardboard boxes since 1946 and Stuff peppers swimming in grease during a typhoon.......had to time the ship roll so you could pick up your tray---slide to next table---gobble down a fork full...pick up tray and slide back to where you were sitting. REPEAT until done or just gave up (Up chuck)

HEY 'inlineskater'---you remember it LOL
You forgot a few rather unique U/W menu items. Sheet cake with one end overflowing the pan and the side that looked like a big thin cookie. Same with jello. Carried a lot of those wax boxes on board during the 25 man working parties to restock a few days before heading out. Beef marked "Fit for Human Consumption" but we all knew the rats and roaches wouldn't go near it.

Then there was the last meal before retuning to home port of steak and lobster. Rudder lobster that had been frozen for months if not years and the grade D streaks fresh from the freeze directly to the fryer. Charred outside while the center was still frozen. I guess they left out the part about defrosting on the menu card.

Sliders, trail patties, gristle stew, CHT milk, trapezoidal fish, canned ravioli and a few other more colorful names we had for menu items that the forum moderators would probably prefer I not mention. Any sailors out there know what animal the veal parmesan made from? Definitely wasn't veal and no parmesan cheese ever came near the stuff during production. And just how was it possible to burn pre-cooked bacon or was it a special ordered from Cisco Foods?

US Navy Jun 1980 - Feb 2004.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
You forgot a few rather unique U/W menu items. Sheet cake with one end overflowing the pan and the side that looked like a big thin cookie. Same with jello. Carried a lot of those wax boxes on board during the 25 man working parties to restock a few days before heading out. Beef marked "Fit for Human Consumption" but we all knew the rats and roaches wouldn't go near it.

Then there was the last meal before retuning to home port of steak and lobster. Rudder lobster that had been frozen for months if not years and the grade D streaks fresh from the freeze directly to the fryer. Charred outside while the center was still frozen. I guess they left out the part about defrosting on the menu card.

Sliders, trail patties, gristle stew, CHT milk, trapezoidal fish, canned ravioli and a few other more colorful names we had for menu items that the forum moderators would probably prefer I not mention. Any sailors out there know what animal the veal parmesan made from? Definitely wasn't veal and no parmesan cheese ever came near the stuff during production. And just how was it possible to burn pre-cooked bacon or was it a special ordered from Cisco Foods?

US Navy Jun 1980 - Feb 2004.
Being in AFT Engine Room our escape trunk was on starboard side where ALL food handling lines were so we ALWAYS had one of our guys stationed right at the escape trunk hatch.

Officers food come on board FIRST.........REAL Steaks, REAL Lobsters, REAL Fruit.
Select cases would disappear down the hatch.......water melons survived due to crating BUT needed to be consumed quickly.
Steaks were flash cooked on a 3/4" stainless steel plate that was sat down on a main steam line steam trap.....1000*F...and a little turbine oil made them taste like they were seared in butter.
Lobsters.....we 'appropriated' an autoclave (used to sterilize medical equipment with stream) from stent in GUAM for repairs, hooked it up to Aux Stream line and would slip the lobsters (or shrimp, shell fish etc) in and do a 10 minute stream job. Again a little turbine oil for dipping it was like clarified butter ----YUMMMMMMMMMM!!

Ah the memories of life on board.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Again a little turbine oil for dipping it was like clarified butter ---- YUMMMMMMMMMM!!"

Something only a true Snipe would do and for those readers that have never spent time at sea, the crazier the story may sound the higher the probability it is true or was that Subic Bay? BAAAA-LOOOOOT!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
AS an Army MP Sgt ( 1968-73 ) I loved TDY duty to Air bases. You guys ate high on the hog. Most of the time I ate with the Officers, who had cafeteria style mess halls. I'm not sure if enlisted airmen had a different style mess hall. But I'm pretty sure SOS tasted the same regardless of the dining style.

We only had one “mess hall”. That was used by all. The officers also had the O Club.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
"Again a little turbine oil for dipping it was like clarified butter ---- YUMMMMMMMMMM!!"

Something only a true Snipe would do and for those readers that have never spent time at sea, the crazier the story may sound the higher the probability it is true or was that Subic Bay? BAAAA-LOOOOOT!
That was 'at sea'

Subic Bay stories.....can't post here

Balut........YES it was consumed------------ONCE

Tags
smell