RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #15

Let me double tap this thread instead of a one and done as this conversation is trending in a bad direction.

If you are a veteran, you are my brother. If you served in combat, you are my blood brother.

I reserve my military stories for military circles and my stories about cars and motorcycles for gear-head circles. My wine stories are a hit with my more refined friends as I have walked vineyards on multiple continents. My stories about the kids growing up are best shared with other parents. My RV adventures are best shared around campfires.

Knowing your audience and tailoring your passion and topics accordingly is the best idea. Now, I do actively seek out veterans for opportunities to share those kinds of stories as that is part of the therapy for those of us that witnessed the less glamorous parts of that profession.

I admire the many craftsmen and professionals that served the homefront building and sustaining our great nation. We may have difficulty sharing stories that center on our different paths, but we all have worked to improve the lives of our families and those around us.

Celebrate our patchwork contributions. Let's not let this discussion infer that anyone who does not understand the special nature of any profession, be it tradesman, businessman, administrator, educator, care provider, first responder, or military member is somehow less worthy of our attention.

RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #16

Well said.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
“No xxxx, there I was, thought I was gonna die!” Well, in my service years this is how we usually started a story. Cause, the purpose was to have fun. And, a little bragging, and mostly story telling. RI Expat said it correctly, based on the social discipline, there is community. Having served for 12 years, I relate well with those who have served. Particularly since I served in those formative years. I do miss it at times. Even now in my 60’s. To all who!
Jubilee 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee 45 View Post
No xxxx, there I was, thought I was gonna die! Well, in my service years this is how we usually started a story. Cause, the purpose was to have fun. And, a little bragging, and mostly story telling. RI Expat said it correctly, based on the social discipline, there is community. Having served for 12 years, I relate well with those who have served. Particularly since I served in those formative years. I do miss it at times. Even now in my 60s. To all who!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Happens all the time. Those of use that have been there know the crazy sh,, err, stuff, that happens and the good times that we had. Those that haven't will never understand.

This one time in Subic the four of us from the ship were and that's about all I can say, publicly.

Best advice I got once was no matter how crazy the story about Subic might be believe it since it's probably true.
Was at Subic Bay several times during Korean War so if you ever run across me on the road remind me to tell you about ......................Yes they are all true.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
Let me double tap this thread instead of a one and done as this conversation is trending in a bad direction.

If you are a veteran, you are my brother. If you served in combat, you are my blood brother.

I reserve my military stories for military circles and my stories about cars and motorcycles for gear-head circles. My wine stories are a hit with my more refined friends as I have walked vineyards on multiple continents. My stories about the kids growing up are best shared with other parents. My RV adventures are best shared around campfires.

Knowing your audience and tailoring your passion and topics accordingly is the best idea. Now, I do actively seek out veterans for opportunities to share those kinds of stories as that is part of the therapy for those of us that witnessed the less glamorous parts of that profession.

I admire the many craftsmen and professionals that served the homefront building and sustaining our great nation. We may have difficulty sharing stories that center on our different paths, but we all have worked to improve the lives of our families and those around us.

Celebrate our patchwork contributions. Let's not let this discussion infer that anyone who does not understand the special nature of any profession, be it tradesman, businessman, administrator, educator, care provider, first responder, or military member is somehow less worthy of our attention.

VERY well said, expat!!! As a retired air traffic controller I'll admit to "talking shop" too much when in the company of other controllers. It seems to be a hazard of the profession! It would appear that we need to be conscious of the fact that we may sometimes overdo it in certain venues and maybe it would be better to agree to meet another time at another place to continue the "Sea Stories". I promise I'll try harder.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #21

That's why I have the SSBN 617 decal on the back window of the MH.
Started more than one conversation, even in Whittier, Alaska.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Ive got nothing Id care to share with anyone.
I can relate to your feeling, can't explain it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
Look up Sturgill Simpson "Sea Stories". Great song! You have to be prior military to really get and appreciate the stories. Being prior AF I've seen the dynamic countless times. Most civilians can't imagine....

https://www.google.com/search?q=Stur...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There it is with the lyrics.

I've always said the Navy was a million dollar experience I wouldn't pay a penny to re-live. 1963 to 1967.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:31 AM   #24

How do you tell the difference between a fairy tail and a sea story? One starts out once upon a time and the other, "this ain't no [Mod Edit].
Subic - adult Disney World.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
With aviators it starts...."There I was...!" With flat palms of both hands slicing the air
And obviously your the victor, cause your still here to tell the story.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:45 AM   #26

The Titanic was a great sea story...so was The Hunt for Red October, Moby Dick, Master and Commander, and even Sea Biscuit!

Maybe you should work on your theatrics to keep people interested? ��
Old 10-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #27

Certain circles can be fun, but as soon as someone in that circle starts talking about someone else's service, I'm out! "My dad was telling me when he was in...." or "My-brother-in-law, who's an ex-______ (usually some high level of prestige such as SEAL or RECON) said when they, bla, bla, bla…."
The BEST sea stories are the ones post service and how members have bolstered their lives from the character built while serving and move on to do greater things for this Country!
FMF1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My stories are mine only so I know their validity plus they really would not be interesting if you were not there.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote