Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:47 AM   #1

Civilians Don't Like Sea Stories

This is a phenomenon I have experienced several times even among friends and family. Case in point, I am at a family gathering probably 10 to 15 people gathered together my brother, brother in law and me retired Navy and retired Marine start talking about our experiences (Sea Stories) within 20 minutes we three are the only ones in the room. Seems anyone without any military experience get bored or just cannot relate or believe what they hear so they all slowly drift away. Even my wife of 45 years leaves but that's because she's heard it all or was there with me. Anyway I just wonder if I am the only one besides my brother and brother in law that have noticed this?
Are we really that bad!
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:15 AM   #2

I like a good sea story, I like a good story from anyone who served. Many guys at my golf course have great stories to tell, and I enjoy listening and even asking questions as I did not take the opportunity to serve. But at a family gathering, I’m not sure I would want to spend a lot of time discussing old “war stories” especially if I had little or nothing to contribute.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:25 AM   #3

Normally it is just the wife that wanders off for me since she’s heard most if not all by now.

A lot of times I actually get asked since I rode subs and most can’t fathom (no pun intended but does work out well) the life.

May be different though since I’m the only one in the family gatherings that served.

I’m sure you guys aren’t “that” bad 🤣🤣
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:31 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for your service and welcome home! My own "sea stories" span 48 years of active and DoD civilian service. Only folks that have served in harm's way understand the fraternal bonds we forged. Civilians cannot relate as their own experiences tend to not be wider than one or two states away from where they are standing. You probably have been half-way around the world and back in both directions. Even the cultural stories of far away lands fall outside of the true comprehension of friends and family that have never wandered. I find it best to save the more serious stories for circles of like-minded brothers and sisters least I be perceived as a braggard or glory hound. Not unlike our fathers before us who seldom mentioned "The War" or their adventures. Should our paths cross out in the RV world, I would be honored to hear your stories and to share some of my own.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Happens all the time. Those of use that have been there know the crazy sh,, err, stuff, that happens and the good times that we had. Those that haven't will never understand.

This one time in Subic the four of us from the ship were and that's about all I can say, publicly.

Best advice I got once was no matter how crazy the story about Subic might be believe it since it's probably true.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #6

Look up Sturgill Simpson "Sea Stories". Great song! You have to be prior military to really get and appreciate the stories. Being prior AF I've seen the dynamic countless times. Most civilians can't imagine....
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:23 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I love a good story of experiences but as a civilians we can't relate to the intensity of the situation being described as we have never experienced anything even remotely similar. Words just can't do it justice. I know it isn't the same but I used to tell of difficult rides on my bicycle because to a cyclist it is intense but to a non rider they have no idea and it is just a story. Please don't think it is disrespect. We all appreciate the sacrifices you made by serving and the support you gave to our great country !
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
Thanks for your service and welcome home! My own "sea stories" span 48 years of active and DoD civilian service. Only folks that have served in harm's way understand the fraternal bonds we forged. Civilians cannot relate as their own experiences tend to not be wider than one or two states away from where they are standing. You probably have been half-way around the world and back in both directions. Even the cultural stories of far away lands fall outside of the true comprehension of friends and family that have never wandered. I find it best to save the more serious stories for circles of like-minded brothers and sisters least I be perceived as a braggard or glory hound. Not unlike our fathers before us who seldom mentioned "The War" or their adventures. Should our paths cross out in the RV world, I would be honored to hear your stories and to share some of my own.

Nice post, thanks
Old 08-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #9

I think it's just a simple matter of whether or not they relate, and find the topic interesting. Not really military related, but applies to discussions on hobbies, assorted lifestyles etc. When it comes to my military background, when sharing beers with assorted new friends around the campfire, stories about most military related stuff generally doesn't elicit excitement unless it's former military folks. On the other hand, discussing the travel, places seen, people cultures and the like you encountered along the way generally get positive responses.

Of course, discuss the technical aspects of climbing Grand Teton, and most crowds will be yawning. Discussions however of the animals seen along the way, the views, possibly with photos etc. and people will be much more interested. Etc. etc.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #10

I was a 30+ year flyboy in the A.F and I don't even like squid stories! I don't run into many of them to share altitude stories. I have noticed that civilian friends ask me a question about what I did or how I did something, they get that deer in the headlights look after about a minute of me explainin it to them.
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I’ve got nothing I’d care to share with anyone.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I’ve got nothing I’d care to share with anyone.

That's sad.........

Group of us gents get together every Friday AM and go to breakfast.
1 is Air Force Vet/Retired Forest Service, 2 of us Navy Vets, 1 non-military/ex-logger, 1 ex-Commercial Pilot, 1 is a current Sheriff and 1 a retired Country Doctor

AGE ranges from 35 to 89

Stories abound by all.......and many loud laughs/antics because we can relate to each other and their past lives.

Now ....folks arounds us??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #13

I really want to add something I should have probably included to start with. When I say Sea Stories I include all branches of service because we all have those stories and I was lucky enough to have actually served with folks from all branches. I in no way intended to infer anything negative toward anyone who never served.
"Enjoy the freedoms that the American Military provides for you. We don't want a thank you or pat on the back, we just want you to enjoy your life that's why we are out there. Please stay out our way and we will stay out of yours."
I heard that statement from Marcus Luttrell and it stuck with me.
Bill
Old 08-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Many of us are weary from folks just talking about themselves and their escapades. It’s time spent that you never get back.

JMHO. Former Sailor and proud of it.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote