Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #15

If you can read a DD214 reduced to the size of an ID card, you don't need 10% off anything. You need a job watching for Russian Troop movements with from your front porch.
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #16

It never ceases to amze me how they figure out new ways to waste resources. When I got out in 1990, during outprocessing we were offered the option to get our dd214 shrunk to wallet size. I did it as well as registered it at the local recorders office. Original stays in safe. Now for the rub. We were always told, war or peace does not matter, you served.......well my county doesn't agree. Tried to get $50 veteran benefit on my property taxes, no go. I did not serve in wartime. I did serve oversees and at several forward operating bases with nuclear ready status. Needless to say, I kinda felt like nobody cared. It took me about 20 years to stand when events wanted veterans to be recognized. I wouldn't even put status on a job application. I almost felt ashamed because of those words from the county. I know different today and I know that I am a veteran and am proud, I am also proud that my son is now beginning his service.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #17

Yah, these ID cards are probably just a talking point for a politician to put in his /her re-election adds. They will do little to nothing for the veteran. Probably lead to stolen and lost cards and rampant fraud.
I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences after leaving the service and profoundly happy that you have come to peace with the situation and that your kid has found his way into the fold.
Thanks for your service.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #18

Hmmm. Maybe some stores are more lenient. I'm one of the two year only veterans, recently made purchases at the local Lowes and Home Depot, and they both gave the discounts upon examining my DD214. I requested this on the VA website a few years back, and a copy arrived very promptly. I scanned the original and printed it in half size to take less room in my wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadixon49 View Post
...As for the Lowes and Home Depot veteran discounts, this card won't help. Their discounts are carefully worded to exclude the common, I served my hitch and got out, veteran. It only applies to retired veterans, and current active duty personnel.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Our local Lowe's in N.E. PA only recognizes the 10% discounts for the "average" veteran on certain holidays. Average meaning served without retiring and without VA benefits.
Active duty, Retired Veterans or those receiving VA benefits (as well as immediate family) receive the discount always.
They also DO NOT accept the Veteran Status on the drivers license (they say it is too easy for people to get them falsly). I scanned my DD-214 and keep it as an image on my phone, they are ok with that.

I also did my 4 and out with the USAF.
Currently my Daughter is a lieutenant in the Navy and her husband is a Submariner. So very proud of them both for serving our country.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Veteran ID Card

Just another financial burden on the already strapped for cash VA system. Congress passes stuff(Not what I really want to say) like this and then does not appropriate any money to pay for the new requirement. In reality what does getting a veteran ID card really get you? I don't know of any benefits for being a veteran other than a free meal on Veterans day after standing in line for 2 or 3 hours.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #21

I probably have 20 copies of my DD214 in file box.........plus one folded up in wallet.
Original is in firebox safe with other documents.

I have ONLY used copies for ANYTHING.

Local Home Depot USE to give 10% discount to ALL veterans up until about year ago then 'policy' changed to retired, current active or disabled.....except Veterans Day then ALL can get it.

Not sure WHAT this ID Card is suppose to accomplish.....sounds like politician fluff and a solution to a non-issue with no monies to facilitate
Once again Congress stepping up.......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I carried my DD214 in my wallet for years until one time fishing on a river bank, I accidentally fell in. Needless to say, my DD214 was beyond repair. Fortunately, I have never (since then) required use of it, so it really hasn't affected me.

As for Veterans discounts, I am financially solvent that discounts for me are not needed.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I carried my DD214 in my wallet for years until one time fishing on a river bank, I accidentally fell in. Needless to say, my DD214 was beyond repair. Fortunately, I have never (since then) required use of it, so it really hasn't affected me.

As for Veterans discounts, I am financially solvent that discounts for me are not needed.

Ron

You are never going to get financially set with the discounts from Lowes or HD, it is the respect and appreciation that giving a meager 10% discount for those that "gave some", whether 2 or 18 years. Both companies support their employees that are Olympians, it would seem they will not go broke giving those that protected their ability/right to make profits. Just sayin'........
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #24

Quote:

Ron
You should present your original for recording at your local courthouse. Then if the original is ever lost or destroyed, you go back to the courthouse and they can give you another "CERTIFIED" copy which is just as acceptable as the original since they certify it and stamp it with a seal. It is just like birth certificates.

Also, you can request a certified copy from the US GOV. It can be done online. I don't know if it through the VA web site or another .gov or .mil web site, but I had done some research for a friend a while back and gave them the info to request their DD214.

As a vet, I would never be without my DD214. It is too valuable. It may not be evident right now, but you will undoubtedly be asked at some point "are you a veteran" and it will be important that you can prove you are.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
You should present your original for recording at your local courthouse. Then if the original is ever lost or destroyed, you go back to the courthouse and they can give you another "CERTIFIED" copy which is just as acceptable as the original since they certify it and stamp it with a seal. It is just like birth certificates.

Also, you can request a certified copy from the US GOV. It can be done online. I don't know if it through the VA web site or another .gov or .mil web site, but I had done some research for a friend a while back and gave them the info to request their DD214.

As a vet, I would never be without my DD214. It is too valuable. It may not be evident right now, but you will undoubtedly be asked at some point "are you a veteran" and it will be important that you can prove you are.
While that may true for a younger person, but at 73 I think I'm way pass any reason to care one way or another if someone asks me if I'm a veteran. When it counted, I was spat upon and called a baby killer.

I can understand companies that want to "show appreciation" for vets.... we all do. Too bad no one did when I served my country.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Been there done that Ron I know what you speak is true. Different time a sad time. Airborne!
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
While that may true for a younger person, but at 73 I think I'm way pass any reason to care one way or another if someone asks me if I'm a veteran. When it counted, I was spat upon and called a baby killer.

I can understand companies that want to "show appreciation" for vets.... we all do. Too bad no one did when I served my country.

Ron

Ron, Returning in Nov 1968 I too was greeted at SFO with "baby killer", I never got spit at, l am afraid that would have been too much and I would have landed in jail. I went straight to the men's room and got into civvies, just could not figure a way to grow my hair instantly. It took me until about 6 months ago before I would even talk about my time there, now about once a month I wear a Vietnam Vet hat and feel a bit embarrassed when someone says "Thank you", some of my friends never had the chance to get either greeting. I find it is mostly folks our age, when it is another vet I welcome them home.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We don't need another ID card. If retired, you get a retired ID card. Since congress has given VA benefits to anybody and everybody whoever wore the uniform, you get a VA ID card.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote