Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Congress Passes Law Creating ID Card for Veterans

This post has nothing to do with VA medical benefits.

Congress has approved the creation of a veterans' identification card, making it easier for veterans to prove military service without having to produce a military service record or some other valuable document.
The House had already passed the bill in June and sent it on to the Senate. The Senate also passed the legislation, but a minor clerical amendment required a second House vote, which it took late Tuesday afternoon.
"Today is a good day for our nation's veterans," said bill sponsor Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Florida. "This bill is a prime example of what we can accomplish when we put partisanship aside and the needs of the country first."
Both House votes and the Senate vote were unanimous. The bill now heads to the White House where President Obama is expected to sign it.
Buchanan currently serves on the House Ways and Means Committee, but previously served on the House Veterans Affairs Committee.
Currently, individuals needing to prove military status routinely have to provide a DD-214, a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, to prove their status, said Vietnam-era veteran Donald DiNunzio of Florida.
"I have been asked many times to prove that I am a vet but carrying around my DD-214 form is difficult and impractical," he said. "My DD-214 form is a large 8.5 x 11 carbon copy, delicate, old and quite brittle and thin. Having a permanent veteran ID card would be a much simpler way of proudly proving my veteran status."
A number of states, and even counties, will issue veterans ID cards. Among the states that do so are Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia and Michigan, which retailers and restaurants will accept when offering veterans' discounts, according to The American Legion.
The bill text references these kinds of benefits to veterans, but also notes its usefulness in proving veteran status "without having to carry and use official Department of Defense form DD–214 discharge papers."
Retired service members have long been issued IDs. The Veterans Affairs Department issues IDs to veterans who are enrolled in VA health care.
The veteran ID card had support from a number of veterans' organizations, including AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America and Concerned Veterans of America.
But the Veterans of Foreign Wars believes demand for the new card is unnecessary and will only burden an already backlogged VA bureaucracy, which is the agency designated to issue the cards.
VFW national spokesman Joe Davis said there will now be a new demand on the VA to process and issue the cards to millions of veterans who do not require or need VA care. That means time and manpower devoted to verifying honorable discharges.
"The states have the authority to indicate veteran [status] on driver's licenses and voter IDs," Davis said. "It would have been far simpler to have left the responsibility with them."
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just for information, not all places will except drivers license, even if it states Veteran, on the card. My local Lowe's in Georgia is one.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my retired military card so does DW. What is this?
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IT is a copy and paste from this website
Congress Passes Law Creating ID Card for Veterans | Military.com

I like to show my dd214 - it is the only thing of value besides my education I kept from my four years.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Just for information, not all places will except drivers license, even if it states Veteran, on the card. My local Lowe's in Georgia is one.
X2 Local Lowes in Greenwood will not accept SC drivers license marked Veteran.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
I have my retired military card so does DW. What is this?

This is an ID card issued by the VA to military veterans that didn't retire and would not have to carry their DD 214 to prove their veteran status when needed.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Delaware has veterans ID cards issued at the DMV. Just had to show my DD 214.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

don't know why. I had to show my DD form214 to get veteran put on my Drivers Permit and i have a DD form 2 as a retiree.
dg1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

I do carry my DD214 with me at all times. Maybe this would help straighten out my wallet, but giving extra work to the VA seems counter productive, they can't do the work they already have.

As for the Lowes and Home Depot veteran discounts, this card won't help. Their discounts are carefully worded to exclude the common, I served my hitch and got out, veteran. It only applies to retired veterans, and current active duty personnel.
sadixon49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadixon49 View Post
I do carry my DD214 with me at all times. Maybe this would help straighten out my wallet, but giving extra work to the VA seems counter productive, they can't do the work they already have.

As for the Lowes and Home Depot veteran discounts, this card won't help. Their discounts are carefully worded to exclude the common, I served my hitch and got out, veteran. It only applies to retired veterans, and current active duty personnel.
and disabled vets.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
and disabled vets.

ronspradley
Maybe so, not being disabled I knew it didn't apply to me.
sadixon49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #12

I have never been denied the 10% discount at any Lowe's using my VA card. This is the Lowe's Veterans policy directly from their web site.

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.
To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #13

My cousin took his DD214 to Office Depot, had them shrink a copy down to ID card size and laminated. Then took his DD214 original home and back in his safe. This laminated card is legible.
Oddly enough I talked to an Army retiree today who was told of this new veterans ID card from the VA. He went to our local clinic and requested more information to get an ID card. He said the woman closed the window and ignored him.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
You can read a 214 reduced to ID card...really. jus sayn