Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Golden; My understanding..
Retired pay and Tricare/ tricare for life are not "entitlements". They are earned compensation from our years of service. Whenever our pay was computed to compare to civilian wages, a total compensation figure was used that included base pay and benefits plus an added set aside for future retired pay and medical benefits. They are still DOD funded, although some in congress would like to move them into social entitlements to have more control.

And while retired you receive that reduced compensation because you are still subject to recall to active duty. --- Gotta be a time limit there somewhere........
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Golden; My understanding..
Retired pay and Tricare/ tricare for life are not "entitlements". They are earned compensation from our years of service. Whenever our pay was computed to compare to civilian wages, a total compensation figure was used that included base pay and benefits plus an added set aside for future retired pay and medical benefits. They are still DOD funded, although some in congress would like to move them into social entitlements to have more control.

And while retired you receive that reduced compensation because you are still subject to recall to active duty. --- Gotta be a time limit there somewhere........
You gave an excellent explanation Hooligan. The cut-off date for being subject to recall is 70, I think. A few decades ago I was friends with an Army LTC, and after we both retired he was recalled to active duty for a year at a time. He finally reached 70 and hung up his hat. I never worried about a recall, not much need for an old 1SG when there are so many younger fit soldiers to fill the position.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You gave an excellent explanation Hooligan. The cut-off date for being subject to recall is 70, I think. A few decades ago I was friends with an Army LTC, and after we both retired he was recalled to active duty for a year at a time. He finally reached 70 and hung up his hat. I never worried about a recall, not much need for an old 1SG when there are so many younger fit soldiers to fill the position.
Hooligan - thanks for the explanation. I understand but I feel it is just wordsmithing. We all felt we were "entitled" to free health care for the rest of our lives but even that didn't last that long. Whatever it is called, I'm glad we have it.

I retired over 30 years ago and as I recall (which is getting harder and harder every passing day!), I was ineligible for recall after 59. That may have changed in the intervening years but I got a letter when I was about that age telling me I could no longer be recalled. I think it was/is different for officers than it was for those of us who had to work for a living.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
I guess I'm confused. If it isn't an entitlement, what is it?

Also, I read on another forum that TFL was going to cost $200 pp per year beginning next year and increase dramatically after that. It's heresay as far as I'm concerned at this point as I've not seen or heard anything to confirm it.
it is an earned benefit for those that gave at least 20 years for doing the right,hard,family separating ,unquestioning sacrifice for our safety
when the enlisted they where told give up 20 years of your life and you will receive quality health care for you and your spouse for life at no additional sacrifice or cost, how ever the rules change and America's best gets the short end
i dont have a dog in this fight as i served my 3 years and got out
BUT TO YOU "LIFERS" you have my respect and thanks you have earned far more than we can ever repay
brianj
rvn apr67-nov68
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
it is an earned benefit for those that gave at least 20 years for doing the right,hard,family separating ,unquestioning sacrifice for our safety
when the enlisted they where told give up 20 years of your life and you will receive quality health care for you and your spouse for life at no additional sacrifice or cost, how ever the rules change and America's best gets the short end
i dont have a dog in this fight as i served my 3 years and got out
BUT TO YOU "LIFERS" you have my respect and thanks you have earned far more than we can ever repay
brianj
rvn apr67-nov68
When I enlisted back in 63, we were told lots of things that over the intervening years have been taken back. Somewhere along the line, FREE healthcare for life was replaced with an annual premium, then came the change that when we turned 60 we HAD to take medi-care and TFL became the secondary.
That said, so far the combo of medicare and TFL is working nicely but for how long we know not. Now the fools in congress and yes even DOD have decided that the retirement system must also be messed with along with medical benefits.
The warriors, retired and active always have to pay the price. I retired as an officer and have not turned 70 so at this point I have not received a letter telling me I am no longer subject to recall
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #20

tricare-tfl and medicare

i'm interested in what this means in my future but am not familiar with the acronym-TFL.
i do have Tricare (retired military) and need to plan ahead for medicare. and i recently had the express scripts impact (work medical usese them as prescriptions).
info would help.
Gary
Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
i'm interested in what this means in my future but am not familiar with the acronym-TFL.
i do have Tricare (retired military) and need to plan ahead for medicare. and i recently had the express scripts impact (work medical usese them as prescriptions).
info would help.
Gary
I wasn't aware of TFL until just before I turned 65. It stands for Tricare for Life and Tricare becomes your secondary when Medicare becomes your primary. As of now there is nothing you have to do, it is automatic and costs nothing. However, if you have been following this thread, you will know that there are some rumblings that TFL will be charged per person starting in the next year or so. Another bennie down the drain. I wonder when they will take our prescription benefit away from us. I also use Express Scripts and find they are excellent when on the road.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #22

We all need to get elected to congress for two years, do nothing, and then jump on THEIR gravytrain for life instead of TFL.

Infuriating IMHO!
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #23

If you follow the news, the "Super Committee" is looking at TRICARE FOR LIFE now. No decisions yet, of course. Just keep watching closely.

Pigman
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just wrote Mr. Pres. and all my Senators/Reps about not modifying the retirement system and TriCare/TFL increases. We need eveyone to wite to ALL their Congress members and let them know that what we receive for retirement by no means really means retirement. The years we endured away from family and country cannot even be compared to a civilian job. The living conditions in many instances would not even be endured by civilian personnel. Congress needs to look at how they throw money at projects with no oversight or punishment for wasting it. Projects always go over budget and Congress just shells out more. This practice needs to STOP. Contractors must be held financially responsible for not meeting contract goals. The military veteran is not a scape goat for Congress's foul-ups. Write them and let them know it even if you think it doesn't effect you directly. Lets not screw future veterans out of what little is earned.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
DW and I quit paying Tricare annual fees at 65 when we went on Medicare. Our PCM and TFL are through the base here so as long as the care is on the base we have no co-pay.
This does not work everywhere. I live near Ft Benning, Ga, and have been going to the Adult Primary Care clinic for many years. I went on Medicare and Tricare For Life in 06, but when I turned 65 last year, I got a letter that said since I now was eligible for Medicare, that they were dropping me, and I had to go downtown to find a PCM. I have read of at least one other base that would not accept Medicare, NAS Corpus Christie.

Personnaly, I'm rather glad they did. I can call my doctor and get in to see him usually the same day, or at least in less than two. My wife called today to get an appointment at the APC, and they said her (used to be mine too) doctor was booked solid for the month of Nov, and to call next week and see if they could get her a Dec appointment. I also do not need a referral to see anybody I want.

Also, with Medicare and TFL, there is no out of pocket expense for anything, except chiropracter which Tricare doesn't allow.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just switched my monthly medications to Express Scripts. They contacted my doctor and immediately received my new prescriptions. My doctors office also called me to inform me that they were contacted by Express Scripts and gave them the required info. So now all I have to do is see how long it takes to get my medication.
For immediate meds I have always used CVS. Never delt with Walgreens but they are advertising in our area that they take TriCare & Express Scripts.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
We have been using express scripts for the last 4 years. The service has been outstanding. We usually receive our prescriptions in 7 to 10 days. 90 day supply if you make sure your doctor writes it up that way. You can also easily setup a temporary address if you are away from home when you need a refill, which is easy to do on-line or they will send out automatically. Last couple were even no co-pay.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
Just switched my monthly medications to Express Scripts. They contacted my doctor and immediately received my new prescriptions. My doctors office also called me to inform me that they were contacted by Express Scripts and gave them the required info. So now all I have to do is see how long it takes to get my medication.
For immediate meds I have always used CVS. Never delt with Walgreens but they are advertising in our area that they take TriCare & Express Scripts.
You will be happy with ES. We have used them for years and they are especially helpful while on the road. Just tell them where to send your meds and it will be there within a week.

I don't think that ANY pharmacy "takes care" of ES, rather they work in conjunction with Tricare/TFL to insure that you don't get more meds than you are supposed to over a prescribed period of time. In other words, you can't go to WS for a three months supply of XXX and then go to CVS and do the same. You can use both, just not at the same time for the same meds. Hope that doesn't sound confusing because it is really simple.