RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cost of TRICARE Going Up, Howsabout TFL?

With the cost of TRICARE rising for the first time since 1994 (I think), what will this mean to those of us on TFL? Can we expect it to continue as is or should we expect to be required to pay something for this? I haven't seen anything yet but it has to be a topic of consideration.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I just renewed my TRICARE for the same amount since I retired. There was no increase.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think TFL and Tricare are different animals. DW and I quit paying Tricare annual fees at 65 when we went on Medicare. Our PCM and TFL are through the base here so as long as the care is on the base we have no co-pay. I also use the VA on some matters and with a 70% I don't pay for anything there either.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
I just renewed my TRICARE for the same amount since I retired. There was no increase.
Unless you are using TFL, beginning on 1 Jan your cost will go to $260 per month per person. Military personnel joining TRICARE between now and the first of the year will pay $260. Everyone else who has been a member for this year and longer will continue to pay $230 until the change. I would imagine that if your time to renew is until the 31st of Dec, you would continue paying the "old" cost.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Think TFL and Tricare are different animals. DW and I quit paying Tricare annual fees at 65 when we went on Medicare. Our PCM and TFL are through the base here so as long as the care is on the base we have no co-pay. I also use the VA on some matters and with a 70% I don't pay for anything there either.
As I'm sure you are aware, TFL stands for TRICARE for Life. It and Tricare are different only in that once you turn 65 you automatically get TFL as your secondary to Medicare, if you are eligible for Medicare. Until now, there has been no cost for TFL.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Did you also all hear that express scripts will not allow you to use Walgreen's after Jan 1 1012? They have petitions at Walgreen's in the pharmacy for you to sign to try and keep them on the list if you care to sign it.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablewizard View Post
Did you also all hear that express scripts will not allow you to use Walgreen's after Jan 1 1012? They have petitions at Walgreen's in the pharmacy for you to sign to try and keep them on the list if you care to sign it.
I hadn't heard that and I find it very interesting. I'd always thought that you could use any approved pharmacy in addition to Express Scripts, that they were not one and the same so to speak. I didn't realize that Express Scripts had veto power over other pharmacies.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
As I'm sure you are aware, TFL stands for TRICARE for Life. It and Tricare are different only in that once you turn 65 you automatically get TFL as your secondary to Medicare, if you are eligible for Medicare. Until now, there has been no cost for TFL.
We went on TFL when I turned 65 with some concerns but not 3 years later, the combo of Medicare A & B, TFL is proving to be invaluable.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I am sorry I said express scripts, it is tri care who is doing it. My mistake My last refills arrived and I just typed it after leaving Walgreen's and signing the petition.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been a Walgreens customer for years, but will not sign the petition. They are in negotiations with Express Scripts and trying to leverage higher rates. A successful campaign on their part will mean higher costs for us.

For on going medication I use the Express Scripts mail delivery for a single month's copayment for three months supply. Much less than Walgreens. I use Walgreens for pop up prescriptions.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Checked the express-scripts website.
"Walgrens has announced it will stop participation in the express scripts network." After Dec 31st, if you fill a prescription at Walgrens you pay 100% of the cost and file paperwork for non-network reimbursement. This is a result of Walgrens demand for price increases in contract negotiations.

Also Tricare co-pays will increase Jan 1st for 30 day prescriptions at retail pharmacies. 30 day Generic will be $5, Branded $12 & non-formulary $25

But: By Mail -home delivery from Express scripts, 90 day generic is free, branded $9 and Non formulary $25
(active duty does not have a co-pay)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
I have been a Walgreens customer for years, but will not sign the petition. They are in negotiations with Express Scripts and trying to leverage higher rates. A successful campaign on their part will mean higher costs for us.

For on going medication I use the Express Scripts mail delivery for a single month's copayment for three months supply. Much less than Walgreens. I use Walgreens for pop up prescriptions.
That sentence is the bottom line of this issue. I merely switched to CVS. Didn't have to do a thing. CVS called Walgreen and transferred my scripts at my request. They seem to go out of their way to make me satisfied with CVS.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #13

I haven't heard anything about TFL rising, but I did get a letter 2 weeks ago stating TRICARE/TFL was an entitlement. I'm still steaming about that statement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I haven't heard anything about TFL rising, but I did get a letter 2 weeks ago stating TRICARE/TFL was an entitlement. I'm still steaming about that statement.
I guess I'm confused. If it isn't an entitlement, what is it?

Also, I read on another forum that TFL was going to cost $200 pp per year beginning next year and increase dramatically after that. It's heresay as far as I'm concerned at this point as I've not seen or heard anything to confirm it.