RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Retired Navy & been on Delta Dental until now. Just had last appointment and signed up on BeneFeds website. Quick & easy, no hassle. Never utilized VA.

DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, I've been looking at the Dental offerings, lots of them. Any pros or cons anyone can offer from past experience with the providers?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
So, I've been looking at the Dental offerings, lots of them. Any pros or cons anyone can offer from past experience with the providers?
If you have a local dentist you want to use. Check and find out which plans they are in. Your costs are less with a provider thats in that system. Ours took two of the plans. Also if you have been in a plan up till now, there's no waiting period. And that goes for if you were VA dental covered.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
I have full dental with VA. So to get my spouse covered on a FEDVIP dental plan, its my understanding I have to take it as well. Can someone confirm that here if that is in fact the case. Thanks
That is not true I have dental coverage with VA and I told them that I do and now I only have to get insurance for my wife I have done this for 12 to 15 years you have to tell them though, they will not just automatically do it
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
That is not true I have dental coverage with VA and I told them that I do and now I only have to get insurance for my wife I have done this for 12 to 15 years you have to tell them though, they will not just automatically do it
Bill, Your absolutely correct which I stated in post #8. Got spouse only covered with no waiting period. Life is good
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #20

Dental and vision coverage for retirees and active duty

To other fellow military retirees,
What vision plan have you selected for 2019 under the FEDVIP program and why, or what are the advantages? My wife and I have decided to go with Delta again for dental coverage, as we have had them in the past and are satisfied. I am confused about the vision plan offerings though and I am looking for other's opinions. I know I will need a new pair of glasses this year and an annual exam, so I know I will be using whatever insurance plan I select.
Thanks for any insight and suggestions,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #21

I also went with Delta Dental. I went with United HealthCare PPO High. After forever with no vision coverage we will see how this works.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlduck View Post
To other fellow military retirees,
What vision plan have you selected for 2019 under the FEDVIP program and why, or what are the advantages? My wife and I have decided to go with Delta again for dental coverage, as we have had them in the past and are satisfied. I am confused about the vision plan offerings though and I am looking for other's opinions. I know I will need a new pair of glasses this year and an annual exam, so I know I will be using whatever insurance plan I select.
Thanks for any insight and suggestions,
Dave
I was confused by the Vision options as well. So, I called Humana and talked with their rep. What's not clear, at least it wasn't to me, was that you don't necessarily have to opt for one of the newer Vision plans being offered. You can still be covered via TRICARE (my DW and I are PRIME users) just like you have been all along. However, the newer Vision plans do offered one-year check-ups and glasses replacement rates, as opposed to the longer time frames under the TRICARE plan. My DW and I are ok with the TRICARE Vision offerings and are going to stick with them. That means we don't opt for one of the newer Vision plans. This also keeps your over-all health care costs down a bit since the TRICARE PRIME costs are not going to decrease if you select a different Vision plan. If you select an upgraded Vision plan, your over-all health care would increase by the amount of the upgraded Vision plan.

That's my understanding after having talked with the Humana rep. If someone has different information, I'd be happy to hear it.

On a realted note (and here's me hopping up on my soapbox), whatever happened to the "free health care for life" we were promised during our initial enlistment (provided we retired honorably with at least 20 years of service)? Off soapbox...
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #23

Dental and Vision coverage for retirees and active duty

nytmare,
Thanks for passing on what you got from the Humana rep. I assume that since you are under Tricare Prime that you are not yet 65 and Medicare eligible. When that time comes, you will be eligible for Tricare For Life, which doesn't even cover an annual eye exam, let alone any allowance for frames. That's why my wife and I are glad that we are now eligible for a vision plan under the FEDVIP program. I still have to make a choice, which I have narrowed down between Aetna, FEP Blue or VSP. Anybody had any experience with these programs? Thanks and good luck.

Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #24

Been with Delta Dental for a long time but decided to take a look at other plans. We’ve decided to try GEHA for the next year and see how it compares. It seems to have a better High option plan at a lower cost than Delta Dental high option, plus GEHA includes vision plan; albeit may not provide options on selective frames etc than VSP. A lot of options this year for everyone, the beauty is in another year you can change to a different plan if necessary.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #25

re: vision plans. The Navy retirees know a lot more about the free glasses from the Navy lab that I. It's my understanding you may obtain a prescription for glasses-with the proper measurements attached, send to the Navy vision lab and your glasses cost nothing. The only downside is, the only free frames were the old BC frames.
A computer crash several years ago wiped out my links, so this new BENEFEDS program may have done away with that old Navy glasses program for retirees, which would make this reply useless.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover