Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #85

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
We carry driver's licenses and our vehicles display license plates. Many occupations require a license. Businesses require licenses to operate, etc. Yet service dogs and emotional support dogs require no evidence of authenticity. Verified service dogs should have some visible means, like a license patch on a harness, to prove they're not fakes.
I carry his vet records, test papers, a CD of his testing, his trainers card with her certification, his vets card, in case it ever became an issue, all in a 3 ring binder. Please follow me to my truck, it's the one with the disabled plate says "Disabled Vet" and I'll get it for you.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Quote:
Verified service dogs should have some visible means, like a license patch on a harness, to prove they're not fakes.
See the link to ADA above. Evidence is required. Except when the dog performing his trained duties is obvious such as leading a blind person.
Vest and letters are required.
That's not true. In the case of a service dog, if the job of the service dog isn't obvious (like leading a blind person), the owner may be asked only (1) if the animal is required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. That's all. Documentation is never required, and a vest is never required.

Airlines may require documentation, since they also allow emotional support animals, which do have to be certified to be allowed on a plane. And landlords may require it, because they also allow emotional support animals.

Anywhere else, service dogs are allowed, period, with no inquiry other than those two questions. And anywhere else, an emotional support animal is no different from any other animal, and it's up to the business whether to let animals in or not (subject to health codes and the like). And since they're being treated like any other animal, it doesn't matter if it has papers or a vest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I carry his vet records, test papers, a CD of his testing, his trainers card with her certification, his vets card, in case it ever became an issue, all in a 3 ring binder. Please follow me to my truck, it's the one with the disabled plate says "Disabled Vet" and I'll get it for you.
In your case, the disabled vet plate is just another tool in your arsenal, but I think bringing disabled vet plates into the mix muddies the waters.

You could have a person with a service-related disability that would never require a service dog, but like many people she wants to bring her pet with her everywhere and gets the vest and papers to deem it an emotional support dog.

So she walks into a business with the vest-wearing dog in her purse, and the business says the dog isn't allowed, but then she points to her disabled vet plates, and the business thinks, "Uh oh, better let her in."

In this case, she's no different from everybody else who's bringing pets certified as emotional support dogs into places, but the license plate might make people think otherwise. I'd bet that people who normally get apoplectic about people illegally parking in handicapped spaces would give a pass to cars with disabled vet license plates, not knowing that those plates have nothing to do with being entitled to park in handicapped spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I have a question, but how can you work on a pipeline with a service dog? Doesn't your employer object?
Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities, which might include allowing a service dog to be with the employee.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #87

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
So she walks into a business with the vest-wearing dog in her purse, and the business says the dog isn't allowed, but then she points to her disabled vet plates, and the business thinks, "Uh oh, better let her in."
Nope Service dogs will always be 4 on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

I'd bet that people who normally get apoplectic about people illegally parking in handicapped spaces would give a pass to cars with disabled vet license plates, not knowing that those plates have nothing to do with being entitled to park in handicapped spaces.
Webster Definition of handicapped

sometimes offensive
: having a physical or mental disability also : of or reserved for disabled persons handicapped parking spaces

==============================

WA state law 46.19.030Display and design of placards, license plates, and year tabs.

(1) The department shall design special license plates for persons with disabilities, parking placards, and year tabs displaying the international symbol of access.
(2) Special license plates for persons with disabilities must be displayed on the motor vehicle as standard issue license plates as described in RCW 46.16A.200.

==============================

It says "Handy Capped" and the plate clearly says "Disabled" I did 3 tours in Vietnam and was lucky enough to come home. I sure did not ask to be a disabled vet, the law says I am. I believe I earned those plates at the cost of my health.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
...I did 3 tours in Vietnam and was lucky enough to come home. I sure did not ask to be a disabled vet, the law says I am. I believe I earned those plates at the cost of my health....
I did two tours, one on the ground and one flying a helicopter. I did not ask to be "disabled" either, but the VA says I am. Fine, I also earned those plates, but as long as I can get around, I'm not putting the damn things on on my vehicles!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #89

Tiffin Owners Club
Back to service animals.
Seen a sign in north FL motel and RV park today. Spoke with owner who said it was latest ADA wording.

"Emotional support animals, are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA.
Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either."

He charges a "Pet Fee" to customers staying in his place. And has had to deal with people saying there "animal" is a Emotional Service Animal and they don't have to pay the fee. Wrong !
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #90

Quote:
Nope Service dogs will always be 4 on the floor
I went to Costco the other day and happened to notice a sign at the entrance that said no animals allowed except service dogs, and it included a definition for service dog (trained to perform a task...) (good for them!) and then it said service dogs are not allowed in carts. So it would appear somebody has tried to have a service dog in a cart.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #91

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I did two tours, one on the ground and one flying a helicopter. I did not ask to be "disabled" either, but the VA says I am. Fine, I also earned those plates, but as long as I can get around, I'm not putting the damn things on on my vehicles!

I suppose your get around better than I do and as for the plates I guess that's your choice. I know the ADA regulations well, taught by a licensed trainer. As I said earlier, I have never had an issue with my trained dog. Your also a Vietnam vet and I'm glad you have minor issues, not all of us do. With that I am done with this BS.

Tags
disabled, led, service